Today

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Beans

Re: Today

Post by The Beans » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:56 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
The Beans wrote:
markopoloman wrote:Today I had to Google 'dancing about architecture' to find out what it meant. What a silly simile. :lol:
It's all ridiculous. I remember all the heavy metal and rock mags disappearing up their arses in spectacular style during the mid 80s to early 90s in a haze of pointless labelling and pigeonholing excess. Mostly it boiled down to use of the word "core" whenever two bands sounded incrementally different to two other bands. Simply pick a word slightly reminiscent of a band's overall sound or image and stick the word "core" after it and you've got yourself a movement you can hang a review on. It made for a whole load of comparative pretentious crap and was why I stopped bothering with music magazines. Post Rock is a new one for me. I glanced at the wiki and laughed out loud because it utterly fails to describe the music. Out of interest I took a look at the wiki for types of metal and the labelling has hilariously exploded into farce. Obviously it's the result of a couple of decades of writers struggling with their impossible task and lots of bands (and fans) trying to find some sort of identity.
So do Rock/Metal forums have a gazillion subforums like RVG?
It's the internet.
Without even looking I can state with absolute certainty that there'll be a forum with each genre ruthlessly divided into its own section for the benefit of the seven members who post there. Just as certain is the existence of plenty of general forums with a more laid back approach where the recurring topic is "But just what is Prog Rock?".
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

playzooki

Post by playzooki » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:58 am

The Beans wrote:Today I had to hit wiki to find out what the term "post rock" means.

What I learned from this experience is that trying to describe music with words is still a futile exercise and that whole "dancing about architecture" thing is as accurate an observation as you're ever likely to come across.
post-anything just means censored

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:59 pm

playzooki wrote:
The Beans wrote:Today I had to hit wiki to find out what the term "post rock" means.

What I learned from this experience is that trying to describe music with words is still a futile exercise and that whole "dancing about architecture" thing is as accurate an observation as you're ever likely to come across.
post-anything just means censored
One term I hated above all that reared it's ugly head in the early ninties was math rock :shock:

I just wanted to rip up the magazine there and then for using such stupid labels.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:22 pm

playzooki wrote:post-anything just means censored
Postman Pat is offended.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:42 pm

Just dont google <Insert your real name> the headgehog

Today, it seems to be the time of year where I get ill

dste

Post by dste » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:07 pm

Today I started a lactose free diet as advised by the dietician to try and figure out why I was so ill at the end of last year.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:35 pm

dste wrote:Today I started a lactose free diet as advised by the dietician to try and figure out why I was so ill at the end of last year.
Been using lactofree milk for a few years now, done wonders for my issues, was always feeling bloating, sickly and burping a fair lot!! Certainly did the trick with that lot, my next issue is processed pastry and potatoes giving me horrible heartburn!

dste

Post by dste » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:10 am

I've picked up milk and spread but have yet to use the milk. The spread I have no bother with as whichever butter/margarine I used was fine by me. I'm so used to drinking semi-skimmed milk though so have to admit I'm a little bit sceptical on the milk. Saying that I did buy a semi-skimmed version so could be OK.

On day three now so will just have to keep going.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:04 pm

Today I got told by my new manager that I following her assessments of all the people who work at our company that I'm grossly undervalued and underappreciated and as such I'm getting a pay rise.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:46 pm

Today my dog died. :(

Still, he had a good run. 16 is apparently pretty old for a jack russell.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:47 pm

Treguard wrote:Today I got told by my new manager that I following her assessments of all the people who work at our company that I'm grossly undervalued and underappreciated and as such I'm getting a pay rise.
Is she hot? Maybe she fancies you? :lol:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:48 pm

theantmeister wrote:Today my dog died. :(

:(
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

dste

Post by dste » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:08 pm

theantmeister wrote:Today my dog died. :(

Sorry to hear that. Majorly sucks. :(
Game Over Yeah - My Blog

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:10 am

markopoloman wrote:
Treguard wrote:Today I got told by my new manager that I following her assessments of all the people who work at our company that I'm grossly undervalued and underappreciated and as such I'm getting a pay rise.
Is she hot? Maybe she fancies you? :lol:
Bit old for me. Today I'm dealing with insurance companies after someone tried to avoid traffic by cutting through a hatched off area and ended up smashing into my car. Looks like it''s a write off.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:57 am

On school trip in Switzerland at the moment to see Large hadron collider amongst other things.