Introduce yourself

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

necronom

Post by necronom » Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:16 pm

I love DM, but I much prefer their older stuff (SoFaD, Violator, Ultra etc). Exciter was boring, but the new one is better, just not enough loud rocky songs for me.

I might check out the new TfF album. I didn't know there was one. I love their old stuff.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:48 pm

TfF - its like they were never away! Just like there old stuff!

Jax

Post by Jax » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:06 am

Hi my name is Jason, and I have a Retro Computer Fetish :oops:

im thirty *cough* with no kids and a Wife, who though not pleased
with my hobby of all things retro, also likes PC`s games, and does
sometimes venture a game of Bust-a-move with me 8)

I currently work in IT, so don`t spend too much time as before on the PC
as IM normally fed up with looking at them by the time I get home :roll:

Also Dabble in Painting & Drawing, Programming, Sex, Walking, making
my weekly visit to the Pub quiz night with me mates (we win most weeks 8) ), Sex, Playing with my Plug & Play TV games and Reading....think thats
the main ones :wink:

Oh and when on the PC my weapon of choice when I can is Linux :lol:

*edit* and just realised how much I use smilies... :oops:

Yolkfolker

Post by Yolkfolker » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:23 pm

Hey all

right -

pleased to say, im 13 yrs old, being brought up with a cpc, nes, and lots of other smashing retro machines, i am a retro fan :)

when i first saw retro gamer, early last year, my mouthed dropped, thinking! is it crash? is it your sinclair? no... ITS RETRO GAMER :D

and my biggest retro love, is for dizzy the egg! which i am a mod for of the site www.yolkfolk.com/bb

so, i am happy to be on the retro gamer forum :)

ps: please say im not the only weirdo by having 3 sinclairs :P
I am 13 yr old retro geek :P sold my psw and gamecube and other stuff in order to save up for more retro! :P

beesty

Post by beesty » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:16 pm

Not bad for a 13 year old :D
the c64 was king,and the speccy,and the amiga,and,,,,,ooh u know the rest

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:41 pm

Bit of a late introduction, but I'm Steve from Nottingham. 30 years of old. Stephen really, but that's too formal and shortening it to Steph just doesn't seem right somehow...

Anyway! Long-time gamer, started with the usual Pong variants before moving onto an Electron and pretty much everything since. Sad to say the current gaming scene leaves me a bit cold, but I always have a warm place in my heart for retro. Amid all the polygons, textures and particles I'm always more happy to sit and play Elite or Dungeon Master for a few hours.

My main obsession is videogame music. Hard drive literally full and shelves a-groaning.

Other than that I snap up anything to do with Studio Ghibli and Urusei Yatsura, as well as the usual healthy interests that preoccupy men who never really grow up: Comics, films, animation... sometimes I paint pictures but only when there's absolutely nothing left to possibly distract me - ie never.

Currently to be found slumped in front of EVE Online or World of Warcraft.

backdrifter

Post by backdrifter » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:29 am

Hello all! My name's Chris, I'm 21 years old, and began my gaming life with the good old C64. My earliest gaming memories are playing the likes of Buggy Boy, Emyln Hughes International Soccer, and a shooter, the name of which has eluded me for a decade!

I'm lucky enough to call writing my main job, though I suppliment that with a fewdays a week selling washing macines/tumble dryers/other Cheap MDF rubbish related tat.

Currently on a retro buying spree (currently wanting a C64 to relive my earliest gaming memories!), spending far too much cash on various MD/SNES games.

Sega Hedgehog

Post by Sega Hedgehog » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:32 pm

Hello to all!

My name's Laurie, I'm coming up for 17 years old, and I obviously like retro games or else I wouldn't be here. =P I'm mostly a SEGA fan, the first game I ever played was Alex Kidd on the Master System. Oh, and my Mum had an Atari 2600, so I played a lot of stuff on that... I always loved Jungle Hunt.

I live in Glasgow, have done all my life. I can usually be found in front of the PC or TV most of the time, I probably spend too much time with my games or online, but ah well. It's what I'm happy with doing.

I've been collecting Retro Gamer since the first issue... I was really happy to see a magazine which focused on older consoles, and I just HAD to keep on getting it. It's definitely my favourite magazine, no question. =)

I'm trying to collect all the SEGA consoles at the moment, I'd like to complete my collection of those sometime. Although I'm also trying to collect other retro consoles too... can't really afford to buy them as often as I'd like though. =\\ I'm also an avid Sonic the Hedgehog collector, so most of my money goes towards more merchandise.

That's about everything I can think of really, I'm not really the best when it comes to introducing myself.
Last edited by Sega Hedgehog on Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:28 pm

Bloody hell! 17 :shock:

That makes most of us retro :?

:lol:

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:31 am

Heh... get used to it in the future. There's quite a few teenagers on the boards @ Digital Press, who grew up with the SMS or NES, so as long as we keep enough of the young'uns interested in retro, it should survive after we've passed on :P
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

russgalleywood

Post by russgalleywood » Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:54 pm

Only just noticed this thread, though I'd better answer it in case I get thrown off the site or something otherwise! (joke)

I'm 34, married with three kids, am an IT Administrator and been playing computer games for far longer than is healthy!
Have owned just about everything from Dragon 32 to GP2X and still own most of them, even have a Sord M5 if you have heard of this one! Tend to avoid those 'nasty indoor things' (consoles), prefer a nice comfy chair, because of my age I suppose (computers).

Fave things:
Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens,
BBC Model B!
When the kids and wife go to bed so I can play computer games (sad eh?)
Elite (BBC)
Paradroid (C64)
Bombjack (Speccy)
Bubble or Puzzle Bobble (Play these with my six year old son)

Have been reading Retro Gamer since issue 1 and really glad to see it back where it belongs!

kaiserpc

Post by kaiserpc » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:55 am

as the previous poster only just found this thread

just spent the last hour or so reading them all :)

anyway ........

I'm Scott (kasierpc) from Bonnie Scotland, I'm 34, being playing computer games for as long as I can remember (got my c64 for Christmas in 1983). I work as a software developer (vb & oracle mostly) and I'm married (8 years) but with no kids.

I have a c64 (*2), ST, gp32, speccy, gba (*2, one belongs to the missus), n64, gamecube, pda (dell axim only bought for games), nes (wife's), and of course a pc (laptop) with 100's of emulators and various *cough* emulated games.

Likes; all things nintendo, all things retro, rpgs - especially ultimas and ssi, strategy games - kaiser & sorcerer lord anyone?, any lucas art adventure on my pda, my shiny new laptop, frequenting these forums, the retro survival forum and retro gaming league, watching Scottish football - my team are Inverness Caledonian Thistle, cycling, skiing - when it snows in Scotland, occasionally painting when I find the time, watching too much tv & dvd (lost,lotr etc)

dislikes; sony fan boys, soap operas, having to work (but it pays the bills), petty arguments, fmv, EA for taking over the game industry, sony

Have all the issues of retro gamer. Frequened the old boards (but not so often), and visit retro survival (more for the retro league). Have loads of zzap magazines and buy any retro book that ever comes out.

Have tried to remake one of my fav 8-bit games (Kaiser). But decided to use vb.net to do it - so it's not the best :oops: You can download it from www.kasierpc.co.uk if you are interested. Also, developed a small utility for Gamebase64 that allows you to addin game covers as another screenshot (again you can download this from my website).

cheers for now

TMR

Post by TMR » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:38 pm

[Scratches head]

Umm lessee... the basics first, real name is Jason (rarely use the surname online, it's not particularly common so i get amateur genealogists emailing me out of the blue!) but most people know me as T.M.R (no third full stop) since that's the handle i've had since 1993. i'm 34, a natural blonde so the memory isn't what it used to be (and it was crap to start with!) and live on the outskirts of Leeds with my fiancee, three kids, a slightly mental dog and three cats.

For what passes as "real" work, i do an assortment of IT stuff; my job description usually says web designer and developer because i'm reasonable with PHP, can fudge it with ASP and have a good amount of HTML experieance, but i also do a bit of hardware and software maintainance, a little network admin and whatever else is needed.

As far as retro stuff goes, i've been programming games and demos with, i'm told, a reasonable amount of success since 1982, first in BASIC on the VIC 20 and then moving to machine code on the C64. i prefer shoot 'em ups to any other genre of game, but since i've been getting myself used to other platforms of late (the Atari XL/XE series, the Commodore 264 hardware, the NES and re-learning the VIC) i've done a lot of puzzle games while i learn the hardware.

The games i've done and released as part of the team i "manage" are available from the official website at cosine.org.uk whilst any "independent" projects, demos written for other crews, my web log (and assorted photos) and a few other odds and sods are on my personal site at cosine.org.uk/tmr. My most recent releases were all over Christmas 2005; ViColumn, a variant of Columns for the unexpanded VIC 20, Reaxion, which was released simultaneously on the Atari 8-bits and Commodore Plus/4 and Lunar Blitz for the C16 and Plus/4. i believe one of the recent versions of Reaxion is being reviewed in RG fairly soon and both Reaxion and Cyberwing on the C64 have been reviewed previously. Those two are available for free download from the site or via Cronosoft if you want nice packaging and a real tape. =-)

i've also been pretending i know how to write for about ten years, originally as co-editor and regular staff writer (for want of a better term) of a quite well known fanzine called Commodore Zone as well as articles for assorted C64 disk magazines (the demo scene history book Freax quotes a paragraph i wrote for an issue of Driven, something i'm rather proud of) and i currently manage and write for oldschool-gaming.com as well as having contributed reviews for Retro:Bytes that'll hopefully be in issue 1, recently trying to think of good ideas to pitch for Retro Gamer pieces and having a fairly vague go at writing a book - i'm about 10,000 words in so far, it'll probably take a while but i'm enjoying the process.

Oh, and i host all the sites listed above too, courtesy of a battered Pentium 3 server sat in our front room. =-)

Hmm... i don't think i missed anything out apart from a few... erm, details that those who know me will be aware of but lets not go there since i'm behaving myself here! Oh, if there's something i missed feel free to ask questions - saves me having to think too hard about what else needs to go in here. =-)

Deadl0ck

Post by Deadl0ck » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:46 pm

Here we go....

I'm Martin from Ireland. I'm 32 and been a computer game fan since way back when we got BBC Micro's in our School.

I have (although some need digging out of the attic) a C64, Megadrive, Gameboy, Playstation, N64, Dreamcast, NeoGeo Pocket Colour, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, XBox, PC, PSP, Nintendo DS (all bought through the ages by me by the way - my Dad HATES anything computer game related)

I'm a software engineer (basically a designer/programmer) and I'm big into emulation, especially MAME - I've built my own MAME cab and I've also got 3 pinball machines which I restored (Black Hole, Doctor Who and Star Trek:TNG)

I run a MAME related website and I got my first issue of Retrogamer this month (Issue 20) and I really liked it, and I'll probably subscribe (as it's doubtful I'll get it in my local newsagents easily).

Nice to meet y'all !! :D

kavsy

Post by kavsy » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:07 am

I'm jimmy from manchester,married with 3 children,who i look after full time.Big sega fan ,focusing on saturn and dc at the mo,love footy,liverpool fan.I dont drink,but do like a toot on avery regular basis,keeps the stress levels waaaay down.