Introduce yourself

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:49 am

MRMIdAS wrote:
felgekarp wrote:
MRMIdAS wrote:Hey there! i'm Scott, i'm 22, and i'm from sheffield.

I started out with my Acorn electron, graduated to a C64, then a master system, then a Mega Drive, then a ps1, then a ps2, and now my 360.

I also own a NGPC, DS, PSP and a Nomad.

I also LOVE my arcade games, I harbour a special place in my heart for both Bubble Bobble and The Newzeland Story.
Where abouts in sheffield are you?
pitsmoor, the "ghetto" area of sheffield.
Right, I'm down Hillsborough way.
Splink!

Manic_Whiner

Post by Manic_Whiner » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:28 pm

Hi everyone! I'm new here. I enjoy acid jazz fusion and Doritos!

I used to own a Sinclair Spectrum and an Oric. I have just started emulating them on PC.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:43 am

Manic_Whiner wrote:Hi everyone! I'm new here. I enjoy acid jazz fusion and Doritos!

I used to own a Sinclair Spectrum and an Oric. I have just started emulating them on PC.
Welcome to the forum - never heard of 'acid jazz fusion' - heard of acid jazz though, what's the difference?

Coopdevil

Post by Coopdevil » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:55 am

Coop, 32 year old retro enthusiast in the West Midlands.

I fell into retro/classic gaming sort of by accident - I was always a few years behind the curve due to not really having the money during my youth to keep up with the "Joneses" so was still using a Speccy as my main computer until 1991 and an ST until about 1996. Evantually I just stayed there as it's cheaper and I still enjoyed the games! (I was addicted to Super Sprint in the late 90s when a friend cleared out his loft and gave me a box of loose ST disks).

XBox is the newest machine I have and no plans to upgrade at present with the possible exception of the Wii.

Perhaps like many of us I periodically get fed up with the state of modern gaming (cost, lack of imagination, sequel after sequel, the suspicion that todays new game is yesterdays with better graphics) and discovered that I have more fun with older games. For example towards the end of last year I picked up a cheap GBA SP and then scoured eBay for GB carts that I could get for a couple of quid and found I was having more fun with the likes of Galaxian/Galaga and Wario World than I was with the XBox and PS2.

The current machine list is - Atari 7800 (used purely for 2600 games), 3 NESes in various working states, SNES + Wildcard, 2 Megadrives, PS1, PS2, XBox, GC, DC, GB Color, Saturn (when it chooses to work), GBA SP and a load of TV boys mostly NES and 2600. The Speccy and the ST are dead but live on in spirit in the form of emulation, I'm also a fan of the "Virtual Machine" emulators such as WinFrotz (runs Infocom Z-code adventures), Level9 (Level 9 A-code adventures) and Magnetic (Magnetic Scrolls adventures with Amiga graphic dumps).

Coop

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:32 am

I think we should start a Retro Gamer forum greeting that we give to all new members. So feel honoured you are the first...

So, welcome Coop.

Stay a while... Stay foreveeeeeeeerrrrrrr!

SKYNET

Post by SKYNET » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:13 pm

Hi all, I been lurking in your IRC channel for a bit and thought I would drop by :)

Im 23 from Nottingham, im pretty open minded and will play most types of games. The main consoles I play are the PC Engine, C64, NDS and Dreamcast. I own a few more but they dont get played as often.
Im also addicted to Unreal Tournament 99 :oops: I've been playing it for around two and half years now.
Im still wondering weither or not to bother with a 'next gen' machine. I only have an old TV so dunno if its worth it.
Anyway enough of me rambling on :lol:

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:11 pm

SKYNET wrote:Hi all, I been lurking in your IRC channel for a bit and thought I would drop by :)

Im 23 from Nottingham, im pretty open minded and will play most types of games. The main consoles I play are the PC Engine, C64, NDS and Dreamcast. I own a few more but they dont get played as often.
Im also addicted to Unreal Tournament 99 :oops: I've been playing it for around two and half years now.
Im still wondering weither or not to bother with a 'next gen' machine. I only have an old TV so dunno if its worth it.
Anyway enough of me rambling on :lol:
Unreal Tournament 99, the only non shareware/emulated game I've got loaded on my PC :D Oh and welcome.
Splink!

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:14 pm

So my plan for a retro greeting to all new members falls at the first hurdle :(

Skynet, have seen your name in the IRC and wondered who it was. Thought you was a spy :wink:

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:39 pm

SirClive wrote:So my plan for a retro greeting to all new members falls at the first hurdle :(
I do apologise.
Splink!

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:42 pm

Thats OK, just think of a highly original and absolutely hilarious retro gaming greeting and lets try again :wink:

daverage

Post by daverage » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:53 am

Hi all.
Names Andrzej, been reading retrogamer since issue 1.
I am 29 and a web designer.
Among other things, I run a small games news and review website (see sig) and am waiting for a 4 day over due baby to turn up!!

Nice to meet you all :)
Andrzej 'daverage' Marczewski
http://www.yetanotherreviewsite.co.uk
Games reviews written by gamers for gamers

rupert

Post by rupert » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:50 pm

Hi ,

I'm nearly 26 and have been playing games for as long as I can remember, started out on the VIC 20 then Speccy, Atari ST and C64. I moved onto a Master System and Atari Lynx then phillips CD-i, finally a ps1 which is where my console buying ended. Ive since gone back and got a Mega Drive and Dreamcast but nothing newer (apart form a nintendo DS).

My heart lies with the Master System though and holds my fondest memorys of gaming :D . I started to actually collect Master System games and hardware about 18 months ago and have got together a pretty nice collection 8)

Ive been reading through a lot of threads here this evening and it looks like a pretty nice/ friendly place.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:56 pm

Glad you think so, welcome. :D :D :D
Join the Retroleague, dip in and out or compete to be the best, everyone welcome! https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/retroleague/

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:14 pm

Welcome to the forum daverage and rupert :D

RetroRik

Post by RetroRik » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:00 am

Hi to all that remember me and those of you that don't. I have finally gotten my sorry ass back onto this forum. :D Haven't been around since Apr 2006. :oops:

I have been a member of this forum since it opened in Dec 2005 and from the very beginning on the original forums.

I see there are still many of the oldies on here like Dasse, Mort, Merman, boyo, RobertHazelby all of which i met in person at CGEUK2004 and 2005.
How ya doing Dasse me old Pal.? Do you still want to have Matthew Smiths babys.. :lol:

How are you guys and the so many others i haven't mentioned.?

Sorry i haven't been around but things happen in life that distract your focus but in the end you always come back to Retro. :D

I have still been collecting Retro Gamer mag and have all except the very first issue just like a lot of people. However i have some reading to catch up on as i am about 6 issues behind.!!

I have more time on my hands now so want to catch up on this forum and get stuck into the Retro scene again.

I really missed not attending a Gamer meet in 2006 and really wanted to visit Boyo's RetroFusion but things came up and i couldn't. Sorry Boyo. :(

I see there might be something going on up North this year.?

Anyway the bits about me...

Me - 38 year old now devorced and ready to go.! :) living in middle England.
Music - Just about everything except for R&B and Rap.!
Films - Large DVD collection covering mostly 80's and 90's stuff.
Computers - Have a few old Micro's and Consoles. Not sure wheather to go for a PS3 or 360.?
Wish list - Finally build me Cinema/Entertainments room with Mame Arcade Cab.

Sorry, gone on long enough..
See you all around this forum and maybe at the next Retro Meet. :?:

Regards

RIK