Introduce yourself

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

clarance

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by clarance » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:11 pm

Hello everyone - anybody around still? :)
Death may be your Santa Claus.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:41 pm

clarance wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:11 pm
Nobody here but us chickens

clarance

Post by clarance » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:18 am

DPrinny wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:41 pm
clarance wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:11 pm
Nobody here but us chickens

Death may be your Santa Claus.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:52 am

And here was me thinking it as an obscure reference

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:04 am

As obscure as a nightingale singing in Berkeley Square.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:38 am

On a related note, wondered if I could find the full series, its on Youtube, was uploaded about a year ago.........

Alex79uk2

Post by Alex79uk2 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:38 am

Hi everyone, I'm Alex, I'm 40, and I've been playing games my whole life. My first gaming memory was being held up by my dad on a ferry going to Ireland in 1982. I can't remember the game, but I know it had a steering wheel! After starting with an Amstrad CPC464 (the best of the 8bit home computers...)! I've owned most consoles over the years, and just love games so much in general. I don't get as much time as I used to, having three sons (who all love games too). My middle son (aged 4) and I are currently playing Mario Galaxy 2 passing the pad. He's already finished Odyssey and wants more Mario! My eldest is now nothing but Fortnite...

I've been around this forum a few times, this is now my 3rd account (see here and here!) Every time I come back I've forgotten my password and/or email address I had when I signed up...

Anyway, hello! (Again!)

CosmoDreamy

Post by CosmoDreamy » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:10 am

Hi, I'm someone who's most prominently collecting Feeder CDs. The quote in my signature is from the chorus of an early song of theirs (My Perfect Day). I'm not the biggest retro gamer ever nor was I even alive at the time you all were - but overall I'm into things from before my time, up to about 2007 (because they feel like more of an everlasting influence/inspiration, rather than made to be discarded a week later)...

@DPrinny There's actually a reference to that phrase in the danbooru image board script. :P
But sometimes you feel it, d'you know how it is
You wake up in the morning and everything thing fits
I'm still hoping tomorrow feels like this
My perfect day~

nicw

Post by nicw » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:51 am

I there!

My first post here, so let me introduce myself!

I'm Nicola from Budapest (Hungary).

Despite I love retro gaming in general, I only own Amigas (A500+, A1200, A2000) as real retrogame hardware. My adventure started when I was 9, with my A500+. Not only it allowed playing beautiful masterpieces, but also thanks to it, I entered the world of game programming.

But I have always dreamed of designing my own gaming machine, therefore I'm also developing an open source diy simple retro-game console :)

What else? Yes, despite living in Hungary for more than two years, I'm Italian :)

Nicola
(next-hack)

CosmoDreamy

Post by CosmoDreamy » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:44 am

@nicw Interesting! Feel free to detail more about that “DIY console” if you so wish. What year did you get your A500+? :)
My perfect day~

nicw

Post by nicw » Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:41 pm

@CosmoDreamy : I will take some pics! (and will upload somewhere - probably on github the sources once it has received a decent state!).

I got my A500+ on Christmas 1991, the A1200 in 1995 (when the Commodore was already dead and it was sold by Escom), and the used 2000... I really don't remember, I think 2002.

CosmoDreamy

Post by CosmoDreamy » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:25 pm

Well, that’s pretty neat, can’t wait to see but don’t feel pressured to rush yourself in any way. It’s good to see alternatives to the likes of RetroPie etc. - particularly if it’s more geared towards the home computer eras than previous efforts so far have been (as far as I know: libretto for instance has no BBC Micro core, yet the Pi was inspired by it in the first place and one of the most popular reasons people get a Pi is for emulation... which just seems sad).

And especially if it avoids using a systemd based distribution as a base if you’re basing from a GNU/Linux source. It’s known to be a resource hog on lower end systems, though I’m not faulting systemd in itself given it can be useful for other circumstances.
My perfect day~

nicw

Post by nicw » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:12 am

Sorry for the misunderstanding... Actually, this isn't going to be an emulator of any kind. It uses just a Cortex M0+, which implements by software the video and audio signals and handles sprites and tiles. This allows to develop (in C) your own 8-bit retro style games, rather than playing existing old games! The most dirty stuff has been done in assembly, but in order to create games no assembly at all is required!

Cheers!

CosmoDreamy

Post by CosmoDreamy » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:44 am

That’s something even cooler so no worries about that - it should really open the door for new stuff IMO!

If you ever set up a funding page of sorts, I’ll throw you a little something eventually! It’s not gonna buy time but if you needed to pay for hosting costs or for research it could help even if it’s just a small amount :3
My perfect day~

skylas

Post by skylas » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:31 pm

Hello all,

I am Sakis, from an island of Greece.

I own an Amstrad 6128, unfortunately with a semi-damaged belt! I love most Amstrad CPC, and i have made at about 7-8 games/programs in simple locomotive basic. I am not a professional programmer, i just do it for fun, as in my childhood i was trying to make some little games. Before 3-4 years, i discovered the emulators, and i started again in my free time.

I also love gameboy and NES, as my childhood was full of them!