Introduce yourself

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

siamesegiant

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by siamesegiant » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:21 am

Hi folks! I'm Andy, been posting a few reviews up over the last few months. Currently living in Japan, my laptop's having to do emulation work because unfortunately I couldn't take all my old consoles with me!

Favourite consoles would be the Megadrive and the SNES, having grown up at just the right time for them. My desert island games would have to be Chrono Trigger, ISS Deluxe, Gunstar Heroes, FFVII and Powerstone 2.

Cheers and hello to everyone!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:25 am

Welcome fella, be interesting to hear your updates about latest games etc in Japan, theres a lot of fans of that here.

Did you have a machine in the 80's ?

Callis

Post by Callis » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:16 am

I'm Callis.

I live in Portsmouth and am a post-graduate, now failing at life and doing crappy jobs unrelated to my degree to get by and pay the bills.

On the side hobbie wise I've got my band and put on local gigs in the area, and keep myself entertained with a bit of design work.

I currently own an N64, Mega Drive and 3 Game Boys (original clear, GBC and original GBA). SNES is next on my to buy list.

I think my geeky obsession with retro gaming comes from the fact that 90% of the time it's cheaper than modern gaming, the games are easier to understand and comprehend while still remaining fun and challenging (I have no clue how to play COD, too many buttons!), and of course the massive ammount of nostalgia that accompanies it.

I have a blog and tend to post a lot about gaming stuff so please have a read. It also has links to my band and twitter and all that if you wanna find out more/stalk me haha.

http://danielcallis.blogspot.com

Nice to meet you all!
Am willing to sell/trade some games, just ask: http://www.playfire.com/Callis

Black Clouds

Post by Black Clouds » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:03 am

Long time reader of the magazine but first time forumer here. :P
31 years of age and from Perth, Australia. My favourite system of all time would have to be the master system as I grew
up with it and the first games I played on it was the ever so brilliant Global Defense ( managed to beat it ) and wonderboy
which while brilliant, was far too easy on the master system.
My favourite game of the console would have to be Psycho Fox. I used to walk a few miles almost every weekend for an entire year
to rent it out from the video-store when I was about 10, dodging deviants and bullies along the way.

Nowadays, I play all the awesome indie games on the pc such as Laxius Force, Jasper's Journey, Professor Fizzwizzle, Wonderland: Secret Worlds and Richocet Infinity. ( try playing this baby all the way through on hard difficulty and no continues for an intense experience)

At the moment I have about 8 retro gamer un-read magazines that have stacked up over the last year due to time constraints. But now I have all the time in the world to enjoy them and reading them back to back is just enormously enjoyable. I don't have to worry about waiting for a new Retro Gamer to hit my mailbox for a few more weeks to come, yet. And yep, I subscribe. Best. Magazine. Ever.

Anyway, nice to meet you!

ismellicecream

Post by ismellicecream » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:38 am

Welcome new folk. :D

itlgames

Post by itlgames » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:26 am

Hi, Jose here from London, UK.
I have been reading the magazine quite often but first timer here in the forum.
I have been a fan of isometric games since I was a kid, names like Head Over Heels, Batman (Ocean), Knight Lore, Fairlight, ... were my favourites games on my ZX Spectrum.
Last time I played one of those games was on my GBA, Batman (Ocean), to me, probably the best, after Head Over Heels.

Cheers.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:38 am

Hi Jose. Always room for another Speccy fan on here :)

itlgames

Post by itlgames » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:00 am

Ah, almost forgot, last xmas when I was back at my parents, I recovered my ZX Spectrum 128+, was still working in perfect conditions! But didn't have the patience any more to those loadings!!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:00 am

itlgames wrote:Hi, Jose here from London, UK.
I have been reading the magazine quite often but first timer here in the forum.
I have been a fan of isometric games since I was a kid, names like Head Over Heels, Batman (Ocean), Knight Lore, Fairlight, ... were my favourites games on my ZX Spectrum.
Last time I played one of those games was on my GBA, Batman (Ocean), to me, probably the best, after Head Over Heels.

Cheers.
Welcome to the forum

You want to 'find' Monster Max on the original Gameboy and try that. Its from the makers of Batman/Head over Heels, great game by Jon Ritman with a ton of rooms. Sad it wasnt a bigger hit on the mono Gameboy back then. 'Unknown' gem of a game

itlgames

Post by itlgames » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:20 am

Whou! I didn't know this Monster Max, but looks great! Never had a GB, had a GBA with the ZX Spectrum emulator.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:30 am

Yeah Monster Max is superb but is a hugeeee game, has that great old skool feel to it. Someone a few years back did a isometric game for the Speccy - Justin...

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek ... id=0017574

Nice game, dont get me wrong i love the originals (Knight Lore/Batman, HOH etc) but enjoyed playing this new game as well

itlgames

Post by itlgames » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:43 am

Didn't know that one as well... There are so many good names for this genre, I have even done one myself! but won't advertise here, or else I will be crucified! :P

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:35 am

itlgames wrote:Didn't know that one as well... There are so many good names for this genre, I have even done one myself! but won't advertise here, or else I will be crucified! :P
Nah go on ! Just stay around though, theres a fair few people who join, spam a link then disappear.

Is it on the PC or on an old retro system ?

itlgames

Post by itlgames » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:47 am

Well, I already posted here, see: http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... 6&p=465561
I won't disappear, I promise!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:54 am

Looks nice (i dont have an iphone though !), is this the same game you've mentioned at WOS ?

Looks very old skool, good stuff