Introduce yourself

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

xxmilesxx

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by xxmilesxx » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:00 pm

Hi!
I'm Miles and I live in NY, I'm a big fan of old games and I own a few retro consoles, I hope to find and share some cool stuff on this forum.

Cheers 8)

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:27 pm

I did actually already introduce myself - but then someone deleted my post. What a lovely welcome.

This time I'll just say "Hi"

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:59 pm

Welcome one and all. And maybe a mod can explain about your deleted post, Dori? There was either a good reason for it, or purely and simply an error - the mods here are never malicious.

sanddancer

Post by sanddancer » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:34 pm

Hey guys im from the uk 29, only recently started collecting older games so dont have a massive collection mainly ps1/2, xbox etc.. so hoping to get some tips on collecting :)

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:17 pm

sanddancer wrote:Hey guys im from the uk 29, only recently started collecting older games so dont have a massive collection mainly ps1/2, xbox etc.. so hoping to get some tips on collecting :)
Start with a Spectrum. :D Many lifetimes of gaming goodness. Then progress to the C6four (my Four key don't work) if you really must. Spectrum titles to get (depending on your style):

3D Deathchase
Quazatron
Ranarama
Anything by Ultimate
Nodes of Yesod
Starquake
Monty Mole series (MOTR an absolute must - one of the greatest 8-bit platformers)
Vulcan
Rebelstar Raiders
Bomb Jack
Commando
Ping Pong

These are just for starters. And for the Commodore: Paradroid and Impossible Mission, and MOTR just for the soundtrack.

Oh, and ignore anyone who advises to stay away from the Spectrum - they are either deluded or..., actually just deluded. :lol:

ryux

Post by ryux » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:52 am

Hello.. I am Patrick from Austria :D

I love old gaming consoles such as Sega Genesis, Gameboy, Nintendo, SNES, etc. and enjoyed using them in my childhood.

I also mod stuff like gameboys etc. like you can see on my blog: http://chipmod.blogspot.com

I also own a Commodore 64 Synthesizer (SammichSID) and 3 fully modded Gameboys with internal arduinoboy (full midi support, backlight, pitchmod, prosound, etc.)
I enjoy the Music from old consoles, especially the Soundtrack from Streets of Rage (1-3) on the Sega Genesis (best Soundtrack ever).

Currently i am waiting for my sega nomad to arrive, i will mod it with a all new LCD Screen, swap out voltage regulator, maybe do a battery mod and also look for the highest possible quality speaker that fits in (for more Sega music bliss).

Nice to meet you all :)

dste

Post by dste » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:25 am

Welcome to all new people, hope that you all stick around. :D
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Overture

Post by Overture » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:31 pm

Hey, I'm David, 33, from Melbourne, Australia (so consequently 2-3 issues behind :p)
Loved the magazine ever since day one, got all the cover discs from the first season. They were awesome.
Console wise I have Atari's, most of the sega and nintendo history, I love G&W and old LCD handhelds.
I also recently acquired a Vectrex in amazingly good condition.
I have older X86 computers but I'm yet to venture into the Spectrum / BBC / 68000 based stuff. It's on the cards though, when I have enough room :D

Just wanted to say hi.

RitmanRovers

Post by RitmanRovers » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:46 pm

I adore the magazine. Been reading it fairly regularly since the reboot however many years ago and is the only magazine I buy (almost) every month.

I'm not sure it's for all the "right" reasons, though.

Why? Well, I don't play retro games. I don't own any retro machines. I don't really want any, either.
I have an Xbox360 and I play that. (Currently it's Halo 4). Yeah, occasionally I'll boot up an emulator and spend an hour or so on World Of Spectrum (Starquake and Quazatron), but that's about it.

My retro credentials are Speccy ownership (rubber then 128), a C64 (borrowed from Dad's work), then moved onto a Megadrive. And that was it for years. Oh, I played my brother's N64 to death, played the odd PS1 and PS2 game in shared flats, and Doom on work PCs, but never owned anything until I was transfixed by Microsoft's big balck box and Halo. And BANG! Back in the game(s) after a loooooong hiatus.

But Retro Gamer? I love it because it reminds me of Crash and Zzap! at their best: colourful, irreverent, not overly serious (hello EDGE) and remembering that games are (or were) FUN. But treating them with respect. It's a bit of a fuzzy, warm feeling opening a new RG.

No, I won't have had any game-time with many of the titles and systems covered. I might not have heard of some of them. But they're so well written and dripping with love (oo-er) that I read it all anyway.

Will RG ever persuade me to buy a PC-Engine or (my very own) N64? Doubt it.

But who cares?
Eat my boomstick

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:10 pm

^Welcome ! Love the username !!!

skodathegreat

Post by skodathegreat » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:29 am

Hi all!

Been snooping about for a while but thought it would only be polite to sign up and post a little!
Like most of you I have been a gamer all my life.

My first console was a Master System 2 and still have it today. Some of my fondest memories include playing a full world cup on the first FIFA with my brothers (on his Mega Drive), took bloody ages, and sensible soccer on the Amiga 500, with all the teams edited to include real players.

I haven't any real allegiance to any one manufacturer as I think the whole fanboy mentality is bit silly.

I'm looking forward to throwing my opinion about now! :lol:

Cheers!

RitmanRovers

Post by RitmanRovers » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:40 pm

skodathegreat wrote:Hi all!

Been snooping about for a while but thought it would only be polite to sign up and post a little!
Like most of you I have been a gamer all my life.

My first console was a Master System 2 and still have it today. Some of my fondest memories include playing a full world cup on the first FIFA with my brothers (on his Mega Drive), took bloody ages, and sensible soccer on the Amiga 500, with all the teams edited to include real players.

I haven't any real allegiance to any one manufacturer as I think the whole fanboy mentality is bit silly.

I'm looking forward to throwing my opinion about now! :lol:

Cheers!
Ah FIFA. Causing sibling internicene warfare since 1995.

So telling that many of my best memories of gaming (and ongoing highlights), involve fighting with my three brothers over games like FIFA, Goldeneye, MicroMachines and Halo when we all converge on the Parental home at Xmas.
Eat my boomstick

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:36 pm

Welcome all and particularly RitmanRovers. For obvious reasons :D
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Mikol

Post by Mikol » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:04 pm

Hi all! So I found this place because of a squabble between an indie game reviewer and a developer, and it seems like a nice place here. I'm a big fan of retro games, maybe because they remind me of a simpler time, maybe because I'm in denial about being older, and maybe because modern games just take too much time to fully enjoy. I myself am working on my first full indie game which I am trying real hard to get finished while the Sun is still burning.

RitmanRovers

Post by RitmanRovers » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:58 pm

Mikol wrote:Hi all! So I found this place because of a squabble between an indie game reviewer and a developer, and it seems like a nice place here. I'm a big fan of retro games, maybe because they remind me of a simpler time, maybe because I'm in denial about being older, and maybe because modern games just take too much time to fully enjoy. I myself am working on my first full indie game which I am trying real hard to get finished while the Sun is still burning.
I just read through a quite astonishing spat about a Metal Slug article in RG a few years back. It kicked off on some spod US neo geo forum and the bloke who wrote it (who is apparently quite well known in the laughably narrow spectrum of games journalism) got into all manner of nerd warfare

It was fckin hilarious
Eat my boomstick