Introduce yourself

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Afr0Blu3

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by Afr0Blu3 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:02 am

Just noticed that I never properly introduced myself. I'm Afr0Blu3, feel free to call me Sam (most people do). I grew up one console generation behind the crowd for the most part. My dad was a factory worker and my mum did part time hours at a petrol garage, so by the time I got a console it was usually 3 years into it's life cycle at the very least. Hell, my Sega Saturn used to belong to a friend of mine until he decided he wanted a PlayStation, so his mum sold said Saturn to my mum. Second hand was my friend, and I got little say in buying decisions until I was 14 and had a paper round.

Bit of my gaming history. First console was my parents' Atari 2600, unbeknownst to me bad ports of Pac Man, Donkey Kong, that weird Mario Bros game where you were pitted against each other, Adventure, and bunch of games with simple names like Race, Escape, and Maze (didn't leave a lot to the imagination). We then got a Master System around 1991, maybe even 1992, with Sonic. I remember my mum used to take over as soon as I hit Labyrinth Zone saying the rest of the game was too hard for kids. I was playing a fair bit of Mega Drive and SNES when I was school age, going to see friends or cousins who had them and having a great time until I finally had my own Mega Drive, along with Sonic 2 and Streets of Rage. As stated, my Saturn was then somewhat of a hand-me-down and by the time I got a PlayStation, Final Fantasy VIII was hitting Platinum and Final Fantasy IX was about to come out. Vague memories of playing a lot of Star Wars Masters of Teras Kasi too. Got a very big surprise the following Christmas when I got an N64, Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Zelda OoT and Lylat Wars, turned out my dad had been made redundant at the factory (it closed it's doors) and had walked straight into another job as a lorry driver, so they wanted to use his redundancy pay to treat me and my little brother.

Got a couple years down the line, my parents were divorced so I was living with my mum and step dad, my parents were competing for affection to the point that I could finally have consoles as they came out, Dreamcast and PS2 both being strong examples. I remember picking up Sonic Adventure 2 on release say at 9am with my brother, and we were giggling like school girls because we finally got to get a game on release after all those years! Having the paper round by that point and charging my step dad 50p every time I made him a cup of coffee (it was extortion, I know) meant I could also save up for things like Banjo Tooie as well.

When I was going through university (studying a BA (Hons) in Games Art & Design) I bought my 360. I went with the 360 for a very simple reason, all of the usual suspects for PlayStation exclusives were also coming to 360 (Grand Theft Auto, Final Fantasy, some pretty big hitters), the 360 had some interesting exclusives of it's own (Mass Effect 1, Halo, at the time the first Assassin's Creed, also at the time Eternal Sonata and Bioshock) and all of my friends were on XBox Live, so if I wanted to play multiplayer Call of Duty or anything like that I would have to be on a 360 to do so. I might have also gotten to be a little bit of an achievement censored at one point, just for a year or so, it's mostly out of my system, but I still have my moments. It was also around this time I was using the stores in the local area, Norwich is a haven for retro game shops, to fill in gaps in my collection, get games my parents had sold out of necessity, rebuy stuff I had traded in towards new titles, that kind of thing.

Here and now, I'm 23, have a full-time job, a loving fiancee who dabbles in games, she also loves conventions, anime, sci-fi, and convinced me cosplaying was a fun hobby. We're expecting our first child who's due in... 16 days' time as of typing this, as well as an avid reader and collector of manga (on a Bakuman fix at the moment) I also fell hard for American comics thanks to DC's New 52 and Marvel's various Point Ones giving me fantastic entry points. I have a YouTube channel where I talk about games and comics that's got a growing audience (800 subscribers and counting), and I'm currently working on trying to self publish a comic. Finish it up, get it printed, try to do so in time for Thought Bubble in November, and tour it round comic cons next year.

So, erm, yeah, hi guys.
ImageImage

Knight Tyme

Post by Knight Tyme » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:38 pm

Hello everyone.

I've been lurking for the last couple of weeks and thought I had better join up and join in. :) I've recently been getting the retro bug (again) and have been buying up a number of systems (again!) over the last few weeks including a Megadrive, and a not-quite-proper-retro-yet fat PS2 and a couple of Xboxes/Xboxs(?) - 99p for a minty crystal Xbox on eBay! :shock: I still can't believe how cheap last-gen is right now, and have been hoovering up loads of great titles for quite literally pennies. I must have bought the best part of 50 PS2 titles in the last month! :D

My main goal, however, is to re-build my Sega Dreamcast collection, much of which was sold a couple of years ago, along with many now very rare PS1 games. Thankfully I still kept a hold of some of my most favourite titles such as Skies Of Arcadia, but wish I had also kept hold of titles such as Bangai-O on DC and Castlevania: SOTN on PS1! :(

So, yeah, hello everyone!

Sel The Don

Post by Sel The Don » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:32 pm

Hullo!

Long time gamer here! How's it going?

My name's Sel, I'm a born and bred Leicester lad and I've been gaming for oooh, 26ish years! I started out with the C64 and worked my way up to own just about everything going at some point in my gaming life. I've kept a small collection of my favourite stuff, Japanese games of various formats, consoles and I still have my Playscene 33 Jamma twin sit down machine sitting in the garage - got a few Jamma boards to go with it :)

I've recently started a small online retro gaming shop with my friend (who's into retro gaming as much as I am!) and we're selling some rather cool stuff, things are going well and the bills are being paid so I'm happy (and I get to play classic games and consoles for most of the day!)

One of my other hobbies is building arcade cabinets - I've concentrated on 1/3 size cabinets as they look quite funky and I can just about squeeze a motherboard and bits in there and still have great running games, I've got a few prototype cabinets with various boards, 'nowt special but if anyone wants to have a butchers I could stick a few photos up. :)

I've been reading Retro Gamer for a while now and it's a fantastic read - I didn't read them in chronological order as I've been discovering issues, I still am and it's nice to find a copy that I haven't read! I have to admit though the Jazz Rignall interview in this month's issue took me back to a time where I'd buy Mean Machines Sega religiously. I'd read it from cover to cover, the reviews were hysterical, the captions side splitting and Mean Yob's replies in the letters pages had me chuckling for days! I'd love for the old team to get back together!

Anyway, less of my inane ramblings, I'm going to have a browse over in the high scores threads and see who I can knock off the top spots :)

Sel!

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:43 pm

Welcome everybody new. :)
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:26 am

HI I'm steve I'm 23 my first computer was the amiga 600 followed not long after buy a 1200 and then some years later i had an A500 but it wasn't all about the Amigas in between these I had a Spectrum 48k a NES a Tatung Einstein followed much later buy your newer consoles such as PSX PS2 GBA XBOX 360 GC WII PS3.

my more recent finds are a SNES{with super gameboy} an N64 a Mega drive A spectrum +2 A C64C{R.I.P sadly taken by the black screen of death} an original C64 and my most recent finds A sega saturn and 2 sega master system II's{one preloaded with sonic and the other with alex kidd} when I'm not gaming :shock: I like to relax read retro gamer or watch tv{normaly either comedy, cop shows , sci fi or guru larry's retro corner}.

but theres nothing like a nice cup of tea{well sometimes a can of amber nector} and playing a retro classic such as impossible mission :D
This guy are sick

Magix Buttons

Post by Magix Buttons » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:12 am

Hello everyone,

My name is Boris, ever since I was little I have been a great video game fan. I have collected many games, consoles and accessory over the years and it has gotten out of control, therefore I have recently opened one of the largest European Gaming Plaza: 'Magix Buttons'.

If you are interested in buying games, want to have specific information, have any suggestions or want to share information with us,
feel free to contact us anytime via PM
Magix Buttons

www.magixbuttons.com

Tocsniff

Post by Tocsniff » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:47 am

Lurked.

Now, may no longer lurk.

We shall see!

Bobinator

Post by Bobinator » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:22 pm

Hi there, I'm Bobinator. I'm mostly new to the magazine and the forum, so I might as well introduce myself, and what I'm into.

I'm a 16-bit person, always have been, always will be. I've never really gelled with 8-bit stuff, and every time I've tried attempting stuff like Dizzy or Jet Set Willy just leaves me confused and frustrated. I've always been a DOS kid, my first games were stuff like Commander Keen and Doom. My first console was a SNES, with the first games I played for it being Super Mario World, Street Fighter II Turbo, and Mortal Kombat. So, I've grown up being mostly a fan of platformers, fighting games (although I can't stand Capcom's newer stuff), and early FPSes.

So, that's basically it. Nice to meet you all!

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:41 pm

Welcome guys, as Arnie would say, "Stick Around!"
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

ollyjay

Post by ollyjay » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:32 pm

Hey guys. New to this forum, I was recommended by a friend from another forum. Big fan of retro, especially gaming. Currently own;
Neo geo cd
Super Nintendo
Mega drive (1 & 2)
GameCube
Saturn
N64
Dreamcast
Ps2
Playstation (audiophile version)
Xbox 360
Xbox (crystal)
Xbox (black with modded hard drive full of arcade emulators)

Got a few games for each but always on the look out for more! Love searching the car boots every weekend. The wife tells me everytime I buy something new, "that's it olly, no more" but a bunch of flowers usually wins her over ;)
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain... Time to die.

MrPackintosh

Post by MrPackintosh » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:07 am

ollyjay wrote:Hey guys. New to this forum, I was recommended by a friend from another forum. Big fan of retro, especially gaming. Currently own;
Neo geo cd
Super Nintendo
Mega drive (1 & 2)
GameCube
Saturn
N64
Dreamcast
Ps2
Xbox 360
Xbox (crystal)

Got a few games for each but always on the look out for more! Love searching the car boots every weekend. The wife tells me everytime I buy something new, "that's it olly, no more" but a bunch of flowers usually wins her over ;)
Hopefully not bought second hand from the car boot!?

(I jest :P )

ollyjay

Post by ollyjay » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:04 pm

MrPackintosh wrote:
ollyjay wrote:Hey guys. New to this forum, I was recommended by a friend from another forum. Big fan of retro, especially gaming. Currently own;
Neo geo cd
Super Nintendo
Mega drive (1 & 2)
GameCube
Saturn
N64
Dreamcast
Ps2
Xbox 360
Xbox (crystal)

Hopefully not bought second hand from the car boot!?

(I jest :P )
The audiophile ps1 was! £4! The poor lad was a game trader and didn't know they were more desireable than the others!
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain... Time to die.

MrPackintosh

Post by MrPackintosh » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:51 pm

Haha! I meant the bunch of flowers for you wife!

:D

Toops

Post by Toops » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:38 am

Hello. Not much to say really. A former avid gamer that became disillusioned a number of times during the last decade or so. Used to frequent the original EDGE forum until it went to the sh*tter much like everything else. Spend most of my time wondering about the place now; don't really know why to be honest. Thanks for the memories.
Remember Lobotomy Software? Share your memories: Facebook Fanpage

MarceloAGDB

Post by MarceloAGDB » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:43 pm

Hello there everyone, how are you doing?

My name is Marcelo, I'm 24 years old and live in Portugal. I love retro gaming with a burning passion, and I'm currently having the time of my life playing all the games I could play as a kid and ones I never heard of until now. For my list of games and consoles you can check my backloggery (That thingy on my signature, it's a cool website, you should check it out). The Retro Gamer magazine is kinda rare in my country, and I'm happy I could find a place that sold it. I checked the website and found the forums, so I registered to talk about videogames with more retro gaming enthusiasts (they're kinda scarce here). Hope I have fun here and meet lots of awesome people! :D