Going in with a splash, eh? ;)

elmagicochrisg

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by elmagicochrisg » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:16 pm

o.pwuaioc wrote:
elmagicochrisg wrote:Consider this a test... :mrgreen:
Going in with a splash, eh? ;)
At long last !!!
Mod - Dont take the biscuit. A lot of people view this forum at work during their lunch break, if you want to post pictures like that do it in the 'not safe for work thread' not here.
No worries... 8)

DaveOwl

Post by DaveOwl » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:03 pm

Hola!

I've been playing games since the Master System in the late 80's (when I was 5) and haven't looked back since. Got a mass of old consoles and games and although I do enjoy the latest games (hell I have over 70 retail XBox 360 games) nothing compares to the '88-'98 years for me.

Love retro as much as I do Sheffield Wednesday. Make of that what you will :D

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:22 pm

Welcome to the forum Newbies!!!

And keep away from the bridges and the ones who lurk there :lol:

Waz

Post by Waz » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:23 pm

About time I did one, so here goes.

I'm Warren, aged 39 and from Manchester.

I used to contribute regular cheat POKE listings and tips for the likes of Zzap! 64 and Commodore Format magazines, followed by Commodore Zone fanzine, where the trusty Action Replay cartridge proved very useful in me being able to dabble in code and have a general mess around with it. It's also there where I first started to extract the Commodore 64 music from games and so was able to listen to them without playing the game, and most notably Robin Hogg of Zzap! 64 was the one requesting little BASIC listings so that users could listen to the music themselves.

After Zzap! 64 first went under around November 1991, I had plenty of mail from people who were after cheat listings, and I remember one day having a package of around 40 cassette games to work through and do cheats for. It was sometime before then I realised that most Mastertronic and Codemasters game loaders used the same system, and came up with a multi hack which effectively meant using a master listing and adding DATA lines on to cheat your way in a lot of games, and as I worked through more, I added more lines. It ended up being around 150-200 different games using the same master listing. Similar efforts were done for later Mastertronic loaders such as Invad-a-load.

When I first went online with the PC in 1997, I noticed the High Voltage SID Collection (HVSC) and being a fan of all things Commodore music wise, I took an interest in what they were doing and noticed plenty of incorrect credits in the SID files, along with plenty of missing music as well. I contributed to the cause for a good six years or so thereafter, even having the priveleged position of leading the team for a few years and hopefully progressing the collection onwards, and after surveying the user base, going to a newer SID file format which would mean better compatilbility with a real Commodore 64 (something I was very passionate about.)

I also from 1991-2008 composed my own music on the Commodore 64 as well, using utilities such as Ubik's Musik, Dutch USA Team's Music Assembler and JCH Editor (often v19 for very short sharp tunes). Some of them even appeared in games over the years as well which for me felt a real privilege, and it's something that encouraged me to even code my own music demos with what knowledge of machine code I had at the time as well, including three demos with an album length's worth of music.

Nowadays even though I work in IT as a day position, I still enjoy a foray into the classic games of the era and World Games on disk in four player mode is just essential retro fun. I've still got four Commodore 64s, a Spectrum, a Vic 20, Commodore 16, Sega Dreamcast as well as a Wii for the more up to date stuff. I also enjoy photography where my stuff is on Flickr and write poetry and the occasional short story as well as maintain my own web site.

My prized retro possessions and memories include one of the two Commodore 64s that legendary musician Ben Daglish used to compose his music on (and it was signed by Ben himself when I acquired it, thanks Ben!) and working through some of Fred Gray's own work disks with Fred Gray himself to uncover some previously unheard or lost tunes of his which are now in HVSC.
Warren Pilkington (Waz)
Former contributor to Zzap! 64, Commodore Format and HVSC
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zawtowers/
Twitter: @zawtowers

dste

Post by dste » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:48 pm

Welcome to all new people. :D
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Nevanos

Post by Nevanos » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:42 am

Yoooo guys!

Been a loyal Sega Genesis fan since the age of 8, but now at the age of 18, I realised that new gen games are rather posionous, but in a good way!

Mainly play the classic Doom as it is still played and lotta mods being made for it. My favourite classics has to be the Sonic the Hedgehog and Mario series, Streets of Rage (Badass series) Golden Axe and more Genesis games that I can't remember. On the PS3, played some great single and multiplayer games such as the likes of Sonic Generations, Super Street Fighter IV Battlefield 3, Metal Gear Series and more.

As well as playing these I do Youtube vids and started on commentery, which I do regulary and hoping to build it up for the future, trying to be as exciting as I can.

I'm quite friendly as well, quite playful and even when things get out of hand I try to not flare off at peeps.

That's about it really. Dunno what else to add!

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:25 pm

Welcome Waz, daveowl and Nevanos.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Dirk Gently

Post by Dirk Gently » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:12 pm

Hello boys and girls.

Reading RG since issue 3 (first one I saw in my local newsagent), I assume like most peoples into retro gear, it's generally stuff that you thought was cool when you were a kid.

I remember still being blown away when I first saw a vectrex in operation, must have been just about 11. Local record shop had one you could rent out for a couple of days.
Never owned one as a kid. And hankered after one always.

Thats my favourite console then. If it wasn't for ebay I'd be snookered as I've never seen one since, and car boots arent as endemic or as well stocked where l live. The last one l attended was a bit like survivors from the city of the damned. A wet mouldy teddy bear and a broken 1985 random computer monitor?

First home CPU was the lovely Amstrad 464 with colour monitor, when I grew out of that after a couple of years sold it and saved for an Atari 520ST.

Fond memories of both, but it was especially great picking up a decent 1.99 game (Zub for instance) for the Amstrad in Boots when on shopping trips with the folks. First game for the ST was Psygnosis' Barbarian - looked and sounded a treat and was also good because I could never get past the eleventh screen.

Consoles I now own are

Atari woody
Vectrex
Colecovision
SNES
Dreamcast
psone etc.

Got a little collection of LCD handhelds too, and random retro electronic gadgets, radios etc.

Thats it. So hi to all, great forum here, and I hope to learn some great shtuff!

tachi

Post by tachi » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:40 pm

Well where to start?
I'm Ryan, 36 years old and an alcoholic.
Oops, sorry wrong room.
Erm...what's to say eh?
I work in IT and have done some minor acting, written a few hort films and recently had a script
Signed for production.
As a lover ofgames since my 3rd year in this world I apparently started with my father's Telstar Ranger back in '79 and since then it's never stopped. I love all types of games except Footie ones, last one I played was Sensible Soccer lol
When not gaming, i love reading, particularly horror and fantasy with a love for Lovecraft.
Obviously I adore movies too and have a great love for Asia. Cinema and Anime.

Sadly, my gaming time has recently taken a hit when, December 2010 I became. Daddy for the first time with a beautiful little girl. Honestly though, I am more than happy to leave the games alone if the alternative is an hour playing with her. She will be a gamer though, I'll make sure of that!
Well that's me in a nutshell, nice to meetcha....
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

Elaine

Post by Elaine » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:31 pm

Hi! I'm new :)

I'm 31, I'm from Italy, but I've been living in London for a few years (and don't plan to go back... I love my country but I like it much better as a tourist)

Obviously I'm here because I love games! I started playing - and fell in love with games - when I was 5, when my parents bought me a C64. The next step was the Amiga 500+ (they wouldn't buy me consoles because they were "only for games" so I only played stuff for the NES/Megadrive etc with my friends... the first console I bought was the Nintendo 64, which I loved, and then... Dreamcast, PSX, GC, XBOX, well, pretty much all of them).

I have soooo many fond memories of the C64 and the A500... Commodore will always hold a special place in my heart :D

I don't live in the past though - I own a decent PC for gaming and new gen consoles, but I will always love "retro" games... so when I first came to the UK (in 2003) and saw Retro Gamer in the stores I thought it was the best magazine ever! There wasn't anything like that in Italy. Well, there was Zzap in the 80s, but then at the time C64, Spectrum & co. were not retrogaming :wink:

I also like movies, reading, football... oh and food... and too many other things. I'm afraid I'd never be able to choose my favourite game - I wouldn't even be able to choose one per system. The first random titles that come to my mind... Monkey Island 1-2, the Metal Gear Solid series, Flashback, Chrono Trigger... no, I can't.

And I don't like... I don't like cold weather. And raspberries. I hate raspberries. I mean the fruit :lol: And cold weather. Yes, I know I already mentioned it. I really don't like it :mrgreen:

DemonboyJohn

Post by DemonboyJohn » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:40 pm

Hi there

Been an avid gamer since ... Jesus, it's been a while! Anyway, for the first time ever, I have a spare room, so I've decided to fill it with nostalgia. I'm just getting into game collecting, so I thought this would be a good place to come.

John

Vyothric

Post by Vyothric » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:04 pm

Elaine wrote:they wouldn't buy me consoles because they were "only for games"
Elaine wrote:the first console I bought was the Nintendo 64, which I loved
Ha, it was exactly the same for me. Until I bought my N64 all the gaming I did was on the PC.
LastFM | Mods | Music | Twitter | YouTube

Zwischen Leere und Nichts

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:22 pm

Dirk Gently wrote:Hello boys and girls.

Reading RG since issue 3 (first one I saw in my local newsagent), I assume like most peoples into retro gear, it's generally stuff that you thought was cool when you were a kid.

I remember still being blown away when I first saw a vectrex in operation, must have been just about 11. Local record shop had one you could rent out for a couple of days.
Never owned one as a kid. And hankered after one always.

Thats my favourite console then. If it wasn't for ebay I'd be snookered as I've never seen one since, and car boots arent as endemic or as well stocked where l live. The last one l attended was a bit like survivors from the city of the damned. A wet mouldy teddy bear and a broken 1985 random computer monitor?

First home CPU was the lovely Amstrad 464 with colour monitor, when I grew out of that after a couple of years sold it and saved for an Atari 520ST.

Fond memories of both, but it was especially great picking up a decent 1.99 game (Zub for instance) for the Amstrad in Boots when on shopping trips with the folks. First game for the ST was Psygnosis' Barbarian - looked and sounded a treat and was also good because I could never get past the eleventh screen.

Consoles I now own are

Atari woody
Vectrex
Colecovision
SNES
Dreamcast
psone etc.

Got a little collection of LCD handhelds too, and random retro electronic gadgets, radios etc.

Thats it. So hi to all, great forum here, and I hope to learn some great shtuff!
I wrote an essay on dirk gently for my english gcse...got an A :D , rip D.A.

Welcome dirk, Elaine and Tachi
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

RETROSPEC

Post by RETROSPEC » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:24 am

hey all. Names Matt. 27, australia. Started out with a Amstrad but was too young to know what model or anything else about it aprt from running the games. Currently building onto my collection that consists of atari 2600, mega drive, super nes, playstation 1, psone, saturn, dreamcast x2, playstation 2 x2 (one being for spare parts), ps2 slim, xbox x2 (one dont play disk anymore but has over 1000 emulators built in), psp 2000, gamboy advance, xbox 360, wii and pc. Still gotta pick up a master system, nes, sg1000, gameboy, game gear, ps3, 3do, virtualboy, pippin etc. Had some of these but stupidly sold em years ago. Though I have a shat internet connection I still like to have a whack at games like team fortress 2 and post apocalytic mayhem so if anyone here plays them and see's hazmatt in the server, I do apologize if my player starts randomly appearing in different spots or is seemingly shooting at nothing lol. Anyway thats enough bout me to bore ya's for the next 2 mins. Take it easy all.