When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

dste

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by dste » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:36 pm

Welcome new people. :D
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Marty

Post by Marty » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:01 am

Hello there,

I'm Kevin, the username Marty is just a nickname that stuck at college and now I use online, I'm 28 and I grew up on videogames. For me, retrogames are the late 80's and all of the 90's but I did play a lot on my grandfather's old Colecovision (Venture, Ladybug, Popeye, Qubert, Donkey Kong and oh so many more). I liked a lot of the pc games that were well before their time like System Shock, Ultima7 and Thief but its quite hard to find anyone who has heard of those games let alone even played them, although I'm quite confident that isn't the case here. My brother is already a member of this forum so lets see if he welcomes me :P

Andy L

Post by Andy L » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:12 am

Hi guys :) I'm 28 and divide my time between Manchester (where I work) during weekdays and Liverpool (where I was born and have lived most of my life) at weekends. I registered quite a while ago but haven't got round to posting until now!

My first computer was a Spectrum +2 and then I progressed to the Master System, Game Boy and Acorn Archimedes, all of which I have fond memories of. I grew up with late 80s/early 90s games like Double Dragon, Operation Wolf/Thunderbolt and Rainbow Islands and the great licenced games like Batman: The Movie and TMNT. In terms of more modern consoles, I then owned (and still have) a Dreamcast, PS2 and Xbox 360 but I don't play them much if I'm honest, the 8- and 16-bit eras were always the most enjoyable for me. I went through a phase of collecting machines like the Atari 2600, Apple II and Dragon 32 when they were still fairly easy to obtain in the local Cash Converters but sadly, space reasons dictated that they had to go!

I'd been into retro gaming on and off in phases - I bought the occasional issue of RG from issue 2 onwards, had all the requisite emulators installed and spent one Christmas a couple of years ago learning to play some SNES Mario music on piano! But it wasn't until R3play last year that I began to take more of an active interest in the 'scene' again - I had such a fantastic day there, everybody was so friendly and to see some of the things I'd read about as a kid but never had the chance to have a go of (e.g. Sam Coupe, SCI arcade machine) was just incredible. I'll be there again in November for sure and hopefully I'll see some of you there (or at some of my local events) but in the meantime, I hope to be posting and contributing more on this forum :)

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:34 am

Warm welcome to Marty+Andy and anyone else i've missed (Spammers aside).

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:42 am

I have added the forum group photo from last years Replay Expo to the 1st post of this thread to help people put names to faces :)

rjubber

Post by rjubber » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:55 am

Hi there - nice to be here. My name is Robin Jubber and I've just joined the forums having read the magazine for a while. I'm a games coder fulltime and as my recent post mentions, a BBC B coder part time. I've just laid out a game design and downloaded BeebEm so I can get coding for the BBC B again. My skills are a bit rusty - took me an hour to write a word wrapping print function and remember how to turn the cursor off, but I'm sure I'll get back into it. Anyway, my blog will be http://rjubber.blogspot.com/ if anybody is interested in following my fumbling progress with coding the venerable machine.

Damn it, I should have chosen the Archimedes - it has tons more ram!

Cheers,

Robin Jubber
(incompetent coder on BBC B, Spectrum, Acorn Archimedes, Playstation 1, N64, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation Portable, iPhone, Android)

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:02 pm

Hello! After constantly hearing about the Retro Gamer Forum from my bro (known as Shadow Neku here) I decided to join up and see what the fuss is about. Im 23, ive been playin games for about 20years now. Started with a NES and had nearly every console that followed. My best memories of games come from the ps1 era. Being a massive fan of rpgs it was a great console for it!

I have every current gen console but have recently gone back to the PS2 (again probably because my bro has). I missed out on a lot closer to the end of its reign as I got into xbox (then xbox 360). So im currently buying up Shin Megami Tensei games.

My most recent purchase was Xenoblade Chronicles w/ Red Controller
Dont have a fave game of all time but a few that stand out are Front Mission 3, Monster Rancher, Capcom vs SNK 2 (although SSFIV may have beaten that for me now).

Despite my love of RPGs im growing tired of them due to my lack of time to play them so im finding myself buying a lot of 'Casual' games e.g anything by Popcap...

So yeh, thats me i could write about games all day, but i wont....

NoLifeStatus

Post by NoLifeStatus » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:49 am

Hi guysss,

My name is Oli, I'm a 21 year old journalist based in the same office as Retro Gamer. Been a lurker on the forum for some time now and look forward to getting to know more of you!

Cheeeers :D :D
Gaming collection so far:

DS: 6 games
Megadrive: 15 games
Master System: 13 games
PS1: 1 game
PS2: 34 games
PS3: 17 games

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:00 pm

Welcome newbies!
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:12 pm

Hello everyone! :D

BadTasteSoftware

Post by BadTasteSoftware » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:04 am

Keith Wood - the person behind the 1984 games Di's Baby & Santa's Grotty Christmas under the Bad Taste Software label.

The label is rising like a pheonix from the ashes to produce the rumoured (but never real, back then) Seal Cull. I only heard about this "rumoured third game" at the start of 2011, and I liked the title so much I deceided to create it (for the PC, not the C64 - times have moved on).

Almost ready to beta test...
http://www.badtastesoftware.co.uk/beta.html

Paulie

Post by Paulie » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:27 am

Welcome aboard :D
My trade/sale thread (Includes my feedback)

http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=23510

fatkitty

Post by fatkitty » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:55 am

HI all
Just joined up after someone recommended it to me on another forum..Games wise I still love my old panasonic 3do(which I`ve had from launch & is still going strong despite getting through 4 xbox 360`s!) as well as all the usual snes & md stuff,so hello to all! :)

dste

Post by dste » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:25 am

Welcome to all the new people. :D
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Starlight

Post by Starlight » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:51 pm

Hello, my name is Starlight (Here), and I am a MEGA DRIVE fan and I do like 2007 and onwards SEGA games (I will admit missing out on the Saturn/Dreamcast era but we are all different in taste, right?)

I am not really into Nintendo games/Franchises but I like the first Kirby Game, Metroid Fusion and Sunshine so I do think that there is at least one game in a franchise someone will love.

I am a huge fan of U2 and love the likes of Queen, Depeche Mode, Manic Street Preachers and Feeder as my other choices.

I have a hobby in playing an instrument (Steel Drum) and a Graphic Designer.

That's as far I go for personal stuff, I say hello to all walks of life and I am more then happy to talk with everyone with different opinions and have an open mind.
SEGA, Falcom and "Niche" Nintendo fan