Introduce yourself

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Viking

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by Viking » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:55 pm

Hey everyone, been putting off joining as I never really have anything to say but I'm here now.
Been reading RG since Issue 3, have owned or own in as historical order as possible: Speccy 48K, Speccy+, Speccy +2A, Amiga 500+, GB Pocket, GB Color, PS1, GBA, PS2, PSP, GB Micro, Xbox 360 and the PC I'm typing on here. :D I don't really do the whole collecting aspect as I don't have the room for it and tend to sell on games I won't play again, but still have my Amiga, the 48k and Speccy+ (without power leads), PSP, PS2 and 360.
Obviously I enjoy retro gaming, particulary on Speccy emulators, but I do play current games as well and am partial to Indie games.

ZXSabreman

Post by ZXSabreman » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:54 am

Greetings my fellow Retro Gamers, what can i say about myself besides i am an every day bloke who is married with one young son with a baby on the way, i am a massive retro game fan. I have been a gamer since it seems the dawn of time, well since the late seventies and the Atari 2600, i have been lucky enough to own virtually every console/computer at one time or another.
At the moment all i own are a Slimline Xbox 360, two softmodded original Xbox's (one fitted with a 120gig hd) a Japanese Sega Dreamcast and my original rubber keyed bundle of goodness my 48k Spectrum.
All my retro gaming happens via my two softmodded original Xbox's or my Laptop, nothing quite compare's to playing some of the late seventie's early eightie's arcade classice like Galaga or Space Invaders on a fifty inch plasma.
My two favourite systems are the Spectrum and the Super Nintendo, i am currently toying with the idea of building my own Arcade Cabinet around one of my softmodded Xbox's and X-Arcade two player joysticks.
I absolutely love the magazine and hope to contribute in some way to this wonderful community
"Time fades even legend..."

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:56 am

Welcome guys. We can never have too may Spectrum fans on here :D

huzzellio

Post by huzzellio » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:05 pm

Hi everyone, new member here! My name is Dave but in cyber space I more commonly go by the name of huzzellio. Married, father of one with another on the way. Living the life of the responsible adult but really just a 10 year old trapped in a 33 year old's body!

I've been gaming most of my life (25 years in fact), and it has always been a massive part of my life for me. I got my first computer when I was just 8 years old. It was an Acorn Electron and I truly believed it was the best thing ever made! It was the software bundled with it y'see, Snapper (basically Pac Man with a different name), Hopper (basically Frogger with a different name), and Boxer (which was basically erm.......original I guess)!

From this I moved up to the lofty heights of the Commodore 64, partaking in the magic of games like Platoon, Last Ninja 2, Emlyn Hughes International Soccer, pretty much all the Epyx 'Games' games, Turbo Outrun (I just found it more enjoyable than the C64 original - and the music! Ooooh). To be honest, I can go on forever about all the C64 games I had. Trips to my local games shop for £1.99 or £2.99 Mastertronic titles were a weekly occurrence.

From this I moved into consoles with the Master System 2. It looked cheap, it felt cheap, but it had Alex Kid in Miracle World built in so I really didn't care. It also featured a version of Outrun which I thought did the arcade game justice.

Then I moved to the Mega Drive. It blew my mind. Road Rash seemed like a real world, Super Monaco GP was like being in a real F1 car, and Yuzo Koshiro was banging out some of the best tunes I have heard in videogaming history. Many an evening was spent with me plugging in some headphones and going through the sound tests.

Mega CD was next. It nearly brought my mum and dad some crippling financial difficulties (it was stupidly expensive for the time, in fact, still is now), I thought it was cool, then I realised it wasn't once I'd noticed that 99% of games were just FMV, apart from Final Fight which was epic! :D .

Then it gets all predictable from then on. Playstation, N64, PS2 and now the Wii (although it gathers dust these days) and an Xbox 360.

Anyway, hello!

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:08 pm

SirClive wrote:Welcome guys. We can never have too may Spectrum fans on here :D
We have way too many C64 and Amstrad CPC fans though!!
huzzellio wrote:Living the life of the responsible adult but really just a 10 year old trapped in a 33 year old's body!
:lol: :lol: Brilliant, you'll fit in perfectly here then. Welcome to the RG forum. :)
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:11 am

welcome all newbies!
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:00 am

I've been expecting you Huzzellio! Welcome along :) Great forum this, sometimes extremely strange, but a great community nonetheless. I'm sure you'll fit right in :D

huzzellio

Post by huzzellio » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:13 am

Cheers guys,

I'm looking forward to contributing something to the forum. It's looking good so far.. :D

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:15 pm

Hello everybody! Thought it was about time I started annoying people on here as well as at World of Spectrum, Retroleague, etc...Have had an account at Retrogamer for a while, but for some reason have never bothered to look at the forums much!?

Been collecting videogames on loads of formats for years, and have amassed quite a collection. If I can find a decent camera, I'll try and stick some pics up somewhere.... I started off with the Speccy, and have since managed to pick up a C64, Atari ST, Commodore Amiga, SNES, Megadrive, Saturn, N64, Playstation, PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, Xbox 360 and my mum's just bought a Wii, so I'll be having a go on that too...Also use various emulators to save wear and tear on some systems, and sample some games I don't actually own...

Have also been buying and reading Retrogamer since the very beginning and loving it all!

Some of you will recognise me from hanging around other Retro sites, and I promise to be just as useless and uninteresting here! :wink:
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:16 pm

deadpan666 wrote:Some of you will recognise me from hanging around other Retro sites, and I promise to be just as useless and uninteresting here! :wink:
Eh, who are you then?

:wink:

Nah, just kidding, great to see you here matey, allow me to be the first to welcome you to RG :mrgreen:
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:14 pm

Cheers Toxie! :)
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

Dominoid

Post by Dominoid » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:17 am

I've had an account since February but I haven't really posted much until now, so I figure it's time I introduced myself. I'm Dom, 26 and living in Plymouth. I cut my teeth on the CPC 464 so I still have a soft spot for Dizzy and Roland. Been reading RG since issue 2 but I was playing games on emulators and I only really started properly collecting the retro gear in the last few months since my company made me redundant and I moved in with Ms Dom and acquired a spare room in which to put tables full of old machines. I've now managed to get my collection up to a Dreamcast, Mega Drive, PS1, 2 PS2s, an original Xbox, and most importantly, a Barcode Battler! Got an Atari 2600 due to be delivered sometime today too and a GX4000 and a master system going in the post soon hopefully!

Ant@RetroGearUK

Post by Ant@RetroGearUK » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:39 pm

Hi All,

I'm Ant and I run http://www.retrogear.co.uk (one of the longer running retrogames stores out there) and Retro Games Collector (http://www.retrogamescollector.com) blog.

I have been into videogames since way before I would like to admit to and have been known to have the odd full page ad in Retro Gamer (way back when it was cheaper, search the early ones...)

I collect anything Sinclair related (my computer of choice as a kid) and have a collection of hardware and software way too big for my wifes liking.

<shameless plug> Look out for our brand new website to be launched very soon, bigger and better than ever </shameless plug>

Dominoid

Post by Dominoid » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:59 pm

Funnily enough, I recognised your website from being on there a few days ago. I'm hoping the new site will have some means of ordering games? They seem to be in a random order at the moment and a search function isn't always enough. (I was looking for ET on the 2600 and search threw up every game with the letters "et" in that order so I never found out if you had a copy or not.)

Ant@RetroGearUK

Post by Ant@RetroGearUK » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:03 am

Dominoid wrote:Funnily enough, I recognised your website from being on there a few days ago. I'm hoping the new site will have some means of ordering games? They seem to be in a random order at the moment and a search function isn't always enough. (I was looking for ET on the 2600 and search threw up every game with the letters "et" in that order so I never found out if you had a copy or not.)

Hi Dominoid,

The search facility on the new site is much improved with a 'suggestive' search as standard now and the advanced search lets you search by category and/or price which makes things a bit easier.

I have got ET The Extra Terrestrial in stock (silver label) if you are interested. Try searching 'extra' and you should find it OK.

Cheers,