subzero

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by subzero » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:47 am

Sega Megadrive - best console ever IMO :D

FunkyMonkey

Post by FunkyMonkey » Sat May 01, 2010 12:23 pm

Hello!

My name is Simon, I'm 30, and I come from the West Midlands. I've been mulling about SLAY Radio and associated promotions for a few years now, as have a few others I've noticed here.

I don't really know why it's taken me this long to get myself on the RG forums. (Wait, yes I do, I'm not good at forums. Although I've been a lot better for a while now) Anyways, It's nice to be here, remembering old games I played (From Plus/4 (to help with my co-ordination of all things!) to C64, to Amiga (600 then 1200) and finally PC, with a side foray into Mono GB and second-hand N64), and discovering new ones I haven't!
This is Funky Monkey, for Retrident Radio Networks, Signing off.

SpiffierRabbit

Post by SpiffierRabbit » Sat May 01, 2010 12:28 pm

Welcome FunkyMonkey,

Stay long, post lots!

:D

subzero

Post by subzero » Sat May 01, 2010 12:33 pm

Nooooooooooooooo!!! stop stalking em funkymonkey!!! ;)

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Sat May 01, 2010 8:02 pm

Megamixer wrote:I'm sure there was somebody on here (I have heard it mentioned) who went crazy and deleted some of the forum?
Yeah, that be GetDexter. He even pretended that somebody had 'hijacked' his account, even though we all knew it was him!

Oliver Harper

Post by Oliver Harper » Sun May 02, 2010 5:23 am

Hi my name is Oliver and i'm from Cambridge,i'm a big fan of retro gamer and i've been collecting old skool consoles for awhile. I sort went off games in my late teens and got obsessed with movies and home cinemas and started collecting LaserDiscs and upgrading my DVD kit and the last couple of years i've been buying back all my old consoles which i sold off in the past which i sorely regretted!..ie when the Jap Dreamcast came out i traded in my Saturn with was converted and had the old 50/60hz switch which was done by oakland consoles! if anyone remembers them plus my huge collection of games. I had all the last European releases like Burning rangers, panzer Dragoon Saga, Dear Fear etc and some rare jap imports like Radiant Silvergun which by the way i traded in for £20!!..if only i knew how popular that game would become. Other consoles i own at the moment are the Saturn, Gamecube,Dreamcast, Neo Geo AES ( modded plus have a phantom converter ), Mega Drive, XBOX and the 360.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Sun May 02, 2010 8:25 am

Welcome to the forum, Oliver
Looks like you have a nice collection!

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Sun May 02, 2010 3:02 pm

Hi My name is Adrian, I have been reading the forum for a while now, and thought it was time I joined in, one of the few forums with a genuine friendly air about it, I have Been collecting and refusing to get rid of any videogame systems since 1982, at present the collection extends to:

Zx81
Spectrum 48k (rubber keys)
Spectrum 128
Spectrum +2
Spectrum+3
Commodore 64
Commodore Plus 4
Commodore 16
Commodore C116
Atari STFM
Atari Lynx 1+2
Atari 7800
Acorn Electron
BBC B
Archimedes 3010
Nes
Snes
N64
Virtual Boy
Pokemon Mini
Gamecube
Wii
PS3
Xbox
PC Engine Core Grafx
PC Engine Briefcase
PC Engine Duo R
PC Engine GT
PC Engine LT (Recently deceased.ARRRRGGH)
SuperGrafx
PC-FX
Turbo Grafx
Amiga CD32
Master System
Megadrive 2+MegaCD 2+32X
Gamegear
Nomad
Multi Mega
Saturn
Dreamcast
Jaguar+CD
Neo Geo AES
Neo Geo CDZ
Neo Geo Pocket
Gameboy
Gameboy Pocket
Gameboy Advance+SP+Micro
DS Chunky+DS Lite
PSP
PSP Go
Gameboy Lite
3DS
3DS XL
Gizmondo
Nintendo Wii

I have never shown loyalty to any manufacturer or console, don't see the point of that, if the games are good I will give the system a home, though growing up with the Spectrum, I will always have a special affinity with those machines, favourite games of all time, Elite, mainly on the spectrum, but the C64 and the original BBC version have been well played, and Arc Elite is something else in my humble opinion, love the Half Life games, Super Mario Galaxy, and more recently blown away by Uncharted 2.

Also like ancient history, TV Sci Fi, and progressive rock.
Last edited by adippm82 on Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Oliver Harper

Post by Oliver Harper » Mon May 03, 2010 4:22 am

Wow you got the Neo Geo CDZ!..very nice!

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Mon May 03, 2010 12:47 pm

Hi Oliver, yes the CDZ is a rather nice machine, much better than the horrid regular CD release we got over here, those loading times were game killers, only problem is it scratches ridiculously easily, it has quite a few on the lid.

I see you have a modded AES, mine has the bios chip fitted, and with my skills I need it, or I would never see far into Magician Lord!!

Oliver Harper

Post by Oliver Harper » Mon May 03, 2010 3:51 pm

yeah its got the original mod chip in and its been soldered to the board so i can't change it for the new one which is lame. Some of the chaps at the neo-geo forums said the loading wasn't that much different from the original CD unit but i watched a video on youtube which reviewed the CDZ and it showed comparisons between both the consoles and the CDZ showed dramatic improvement in loading times.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Mon May 03, 2010 4:49 pm

have topl oading neo cd myself along with aes,neo cdz had cache in cd drive hence reason it sped up loading times,however there was no ventilation in the unit which lead to overheating and failure.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Mon May 03, 2010 6:14 pm

I think with the CDz the overheating issue has been slightly overstated with time, I take a bit more care with it, just in case the stories are true, I have had mine on at most for five hours, with no problems whatsoever, it gets warm, but not hot, and I turn it off and unplug it, as I do all the old consoles every couple of hours for a few minutes, I have added more rubber to the feet, otherwise it only sits a couple of milimetres off the table , there are six grills on the underside with what looks like a metal shield below them, and a couple more on the top of the case, so it is not totally enclosed, but maybe in some environments this is not enough.

There is an excellent thread on Neogeo.com

- Avoid placing it on a carpet (ya Think)
- Switch it off and let it cool down for about five mins. for every two hours of playing
- Don't use it as a CD player (it seems to heat up a bit more)
- Always use "Exit" in Neo CD games to return to the loading screen, don't just switch it off
- Never open the drive hatch while the unit runs.

I was advised when I bought it to use a step down converter that could handle 100V, 110v at most, never use 120v, because the bigger problem with the system is the PSU, which does get very hot, judging by the strange connection on the end, it would be hard to replace.

The loading times are way faster ,this site does some good comparisons

http://www.egameaddiction.com/neogeocd/loadtimes.html

Only had one serious hardware failure to date, the good old Beeb, and it's bank of exploding capacitors, stank the whole house out for a day, and a nice white smoky haze throughout the room, now thankfully fixed, with more modern components!

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Mon May 03, 2010 6:21 pm

I think some people did their own mods to the cdz didn't they.Putting vent holes in them.Got an stepdown convertor for eu power.Didn't want to blow it :lol:
Last edited by Fred83 on Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Mon May 03, 2010 7:02 pm

Even worse is plugging a console into a stepdown converter that can't handle it, In my early days of collecting, I plugged my PCE interface unit into a stepdown used by a Core Grafx, it lasted just about 5 minutes before it fused, was as hot as hell,, I quickly bought a Uk adaptor that could do the job, oh the naivety of youth.