Introduce yourself

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

SonicTheHedgehog

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by SonicTheHedgehog » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:38 pm

Hello i thought id better introduce myself. Im SonicTheHedgehog im 26yrs old and been playing games since i first got bought a Spectrum 128k in 1990. Sonic The Hedgehog on the MD got me into games proper and Tomb Raider 1 & Final Fantasy VII convinced me id be playing videogames for the rest of my life. The list of consoles iv owned are as follows in order of purchase:

Spectrum 128k
Megadrive
Gameboy
Sega Saturn
Virtual Boy
Playstation
N64
Dreamcast
Snes
Mega CD
Game Boy Advance
PS2
Gamecube
Xbox
Xbox 360
Nintendo DS
PSP

I am an RPG man at heart and would have to put the Playstation as my fave ever console due to games like FF7,8,9, Chrono Cross, Breath Of Fire 3, Tomb Raider 1,2,3, Gran Turismo 2, Res Evil 1,2,Nemesis.

But seeing as the Megadrive and Sonic was the first system and game i fell in love with and combined with alot of my best childhood gaming memories being of Sega Megadrive, Saturn & Dreamcast gaming i have a very strong affection for the Sega of old.

I also love alot of games from Nintendo aswel as from other companies. My top 20 list is below:

1. FINAL FANTASY VII (PS)
2. TOMB RAIDER (SAT)
3. ZELDA: OCARINA OF TIME (N64)

4. SKIES OF ARCADIA (DC)
5. FINAL FANTASY VIII (PS)
6. TOMB RAIDER III (PS)
7. RESIDENT EVIL REMAKE (GC)
8. FINAL FANTASY IX (PS)
9. CIVILIZATION 3 (PC)
10. FOOTBALL MANAGER SERIES (PC)
11. ECCO THE DOLPHIN D.O.T.F (DC)
12. NIGHTS INTO DREAMS (SAT)
13. SONIC 2 (MD)
14. EXHUMED (SAT)
15. SHINING FORCE II (MD)
16. MARIO 64 (N64)
17. BREATH OF FIRE III (PS)
18. METAL GEAR SOLID (PS)
19. ABE’S ODDYSEE (PS)
20. GUARDIAN HEROES (SAT)
The square is a great shape, and one that is criminally underused in modern game design. In the push to ever more granular, chaotic environments, games have lost sight of the simple pleasures of right angles and straight lines.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:01 am

Nice list. 8)

Welcome to RG, Sonic. :)
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

End of an Era

Post by End of an Era » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:05 pm

Hello!

End of an Era here - sporadic reader of RG and first time RG forumer.

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:06 pm

End of an Era wrote:Hello!

End of an Era here - sporadic reader of RG and first time RG forumer.

Hi de hi :D
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:52 pm

aztecca wrote:Hi de hi :D
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

chrisroth78

Post by chrisroth78 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:18 pm

Hi, Thought I'd post a qick note on here as I recently attended the retro rewind weekend.
I've been a gamer since about 5 or 6 when my mum and dad bought me a spectrum 48k for doing school homework (dont think the Mrs Higgins would have enjoyed marking my thermal paper print out, especially as all it involved was the results from football manager ha..)
then moved onto master system, Amiga, Snes, Megadrive, PS1.. the decided boozing/partying was also an enjoyable pasttime so had a good few years away from the games.
Played on PS2 a bit GTA, Tombraider, Resident Evil ect..
Bought a Xbox 360 2 years ago for GTA4 and played it for 2 or 3 hours and found I just dont have the time to play it. Downloaded Worms for it and been playing that on/off since.

After realising i dint have time for (must add.. great) games GTA4 I decided to dig out the old consoles convert garage into a bar and invite friends & family round for retro games nights..

Anyway hope to post more in future Chris

drivinfightin

Post by drivinfightin » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:35 pm

Hi all

I'm Tone, 27 and as much an appreciator of older games as I am of new ones, from the heady days of playing on a Commodore 64 (also had a ZX Spectrum, but played a lot less on that). I mainly play driving and fighting games, but also dabble in RTS and sometimes shoot-em-ups (but only really in Multiplayer situations with friends as I suck at them :P ) Also like sports and sport manager sims.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:14 pm

Welcome to all. Stay a while....

.....STAY FOREVER :lol: :lol: :lol:
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

subzero

Post by subzero » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:46 am

Hello, i didnt properly introduce myself.

Im steve, currently 39 (40 soon) from lovely perthshire in scotland. Been playing games since the age of 7/8 and am a big lover of pinball games and anything made by SEGA . been to a few retro events, including bitlive in brighton 2003 and couple of retrovisions, this years marks the end of a 5 year break in events for me as i will be attending r3play in november :)

Red_Hot_Sax_Man

Post by Red_Hot_Sax_Man » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:12 pm

Hi
My name is Steve, more commonly known by friends/family/colleagues as Sax. I am a professional wrestler as well as a professional wrestling promoter, running shows in and around North Wales and North West England. The reason I signed up to Retro Gamer was because I was being nosey and reading some posts that friends of mine had left on here (mohicankid, retrogarden, etc) and thought it was all very interesting.

Gaming wise, I have always enjoyed playing video games, not to the extent that some of my friends did/do ... I am not an avid gamer, mainly due to time these days and the fact that consoles are now taken over by my 2 young children. My first console (that I recall) was a Commodor Vic20 - cassette loading machine that was slower than a snail orgasming. From there I had an Atari that I actually quite enjoyed, games such as Frostbite and New York Blitz - I also had an Amstrad at some point, but thought it pretty much sucked - I'm not sure what happened to those consoles to be honest, lost over the years I guess!

My first 'proper' gaming console (in my terms) was the NES - I thought it was the absolute mutts nuts with its futuristic graphics and gameplay ;) I was a massive fan of the original Super Mario Bros games, as well as Paperboy. I then got my hands on the SNES (several years after it was released and the price dropped drastically) - loved the wrestling games for that (think that it was called WWF Royal Rumble).

I then went off games consoles for a while, until the PS1 was launched - since then I have had the PS2, the XBox and the XBox 360 ... love the live play on the 360 and hammered games such as Fifa, Smackdown v Raw, Saints Row and GTA on them.

These days we (me and the family) have a Nintendo Wii, a Nintendo DS and a Sony PSP - the kids dominate the Nintendo systems (mainly Mario & Donkey Kong) and I occassionally enjoy to chill and play on GTA:Liberty City Stories when the kids are out playing!

So thats me, thats my brief history of gaming - nothing compared to some of the gamer-nuts on here I know ... but I hope to utilise this forum for finding out hints/cheats/help with the games that I/we get stuck on, as well as finding out about games before we decide to buy them.

Cheers

Sax

The Master

Post by The Master » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:13 pm

Why "Sax"? Can you play it? Do you look like it? Etc :?:
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

Red_Hot_Sax_Man

Post by Red_Hot_Sax_Man » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:03 pm

Why "Sax"? Can you play it? Do you look like it? Etc
Do I look like a Sax??

The name 'Sax' stems from my wrestling name 'Steve Saxon' ... over the years it has been reduced from Steve Saxon, to Saxon, to Sax Man and finally to Sax ... in a couple of years time no doubt it will simply be 'S'

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:38 pm

Welcome Sax Man! Great name!
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:03 am

argh i'm being stalked!!! :P
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

WildWillyWilson

Post by WildWillyWilson » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:16 am

SonicTheHedgehog wrote:
But seeing as the Megadrive and Sonic was the first system and game i fell in love with and combined with alot of my best childhood gaming memories being of Sega Megadrive, Saturn & Dreamcast gaming i have a very strong affection for the Sega of old.
Welcome Sonic, always good to see another Mega Drive fan! :)