Sometimes things are so cheap I get horny...

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

GetDexter

Sometimes things are so cheap I get horny...

Post by GetDexter » Sat May 27, 2006 11:52 am

Well, yesterday was my pay day. Now if any of you guys (and gals) work for the NHS you will be aware of the AGC that, depending on your trust location, will have meant a pay increase and back pay.

To cut a long story short, today I had £400 back pay from the NHS.

And you know what, I've blown around a third of it already.

Today I popped in to my local HMV and bought the Matrix box set for the bargain price of £19.66. It had previously sold for around £60. I also bought the Alien quadrilogy box set. Again, for £19.66. That too had sold for around £60 previously, so I left the shop with a smug smile on my face!!!

Next I went into The Music Zone (previously known as MVC) where I bought Fight Night Round 3 for the PS2 for £30 (Game sells it for £35) and Red Dwarf series I and II for £10 each (was £19.99 each). I also bought this great retro DVD for £6.99. It's called 'Charlie Says' and is a double DVD set of the Public Information films of the late 60's to 80's!! I love retro stuff like this and strongly recommend this set to everyone!

I still have about £290 to throw away on something, so I am eyeing up the Xbox 360 at the mo...
As requested by the Tw@t himself - his account was Hijacked and has had a change of password.

Sorry Dexter!

preownedgames.co.uk

Re: Sometimes things are so cheap I get horny...

Post by preownedgames.co.uk » Sat May 27, 2006 11:58 am

GetDexter wrote:
I still have about £290 to throw away on something, so I am eyeing up the Xbox 360 at the mo...
You wouldn't regret it, although the full price games are no big deal ther live/arcade stuff is excellent.
Preowned Games - Buy games that other people are bored with.

James A

Post by James A » Sat May 27, 2006 8:10 pm

Wish i had some money to blow like that!!!!!

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat May 27, 2006 8:23 pm

GetDexter wrote:Well, yesterday was my pay day. Now if any of you guys (and gals) work for the NHS you will be aware of the AGC that, depending on your trust location, will have meant a pay increase and back pay.

To cut a long story short, today I had £400 back pay from the NHS.

And you know what, I've blown around a third of it already.

Today I popped in to my local HMV and bought the Matrix box set for the bargain price of £19.66. It had previously sold for around £60. I also bought the Alien quadrilogy box set. Again, for £19.66. That too had sold for around £60 previously, so I left the shop with a smug smile on my face!!!

Next I went into The Music Zone (previously known as MVC) where I bought Fight Night Round 3 for the PS2 for £30 (Game sells it for £35) and Red Dwarf series I and II for £10 each (was £19.99 each). I also bought this great retro DVD for £6.99. It's called 'Charlie Says' and is a double DVD set of the Public Information films of the late 60's to 80's!! I love retro stuff like this and strongly recommend this set to everyone!

Some nice things there - although I would avoid most high street stores for games and films and music! Even the offers!
Play has Matrix trilogy for 14.99 and Alien 17.99!! But I suppose the nice shiny boxes with pretty pictures are very eye catching - when you got a wad of dosh burning a hole in your pocket! :lol:

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Sun May 28, 2006 4:22 am

markopoloman wrote:
Some nice things there - although I would avoid most high street stores for games and films and music! Even the offers!
Play has Matrix trilogy for 14.99 and Alien 17.99!! But I suppose the nice shiny boxes with pretty pictures are very eye catching - when you got a wad of dosh burning a hole in your pocket! :lol:
Plus there is a lot to be said about the feeling of walking into a store and picking it up, paying for it and owning it then and there. It's worth the £3.00 or whatever you save just for that rush..
I do hope that the highstreet doesn't die, it would be a shame to lose that.

GetDexter

Post by GetDexter » Sun May 28, 2006 4:55 am

Agreed. I try to balance high street shopping with Amazon bargains. I know places like Amazon (and Play) generally sell DVD's and CD's much cheaper than high street stores. I've also noticed with Amazon that they stock stuff I would normally have to order from a place like Smith's. A good example is retro computer game books such as 'Sparcade', 'The Ultimate History Of Videogaming', 'Arcade Fever' etc. My local Smith's never stock anything like this, and I have no cosy independent bookshops to browse in either, so I buy this sort of thing from Amazon.

But as you say, it's just fun to browse. It's fun to walk around town on a Saturday morning (or any morning, or evening, or night!) and just spot a good deal or simply something that you really really want and buy it there and then! I mean, I was aware that some sellers were selling Fight Night Round 3 for £25 inc p+p on Ebay, but I couldn't be bothered to wait for it so I spent an extra fiver and bought it there and then when i was out yesterday. Cracking game by the way :D
As requested by the Tw@t himself - his account was Hijacked and has had a change of password.

Sorry Dexter!

thedirtyshame

Post by thedirtyshame » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:25 am

Red Dwarf is amazing ^___^ Good choice! Unfortunately I don't have that sort of dosh...but with a Student bursary at least I can buy some 25p C64 games from GameStation :o
-----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.stacykidd.co.uk

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:34 am

thedirtyshame wrote:Red Dwarf is amazing ^___^ Good choice! Unfortunately I don't have that sort of dosh...but with a Student bursary at least I can buy some 25p C64 games from GameStation :o
Count yourself lucky. My GameStation doesn't do computer games except for PC :(
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

woody.cool

Re:

Post by woody.cool » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:00 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
thedirtyshame wrote:Red Dwarf is amazing ^___^ Good choice! Unfortunately I don't have that sort of dosh...but with a Student bursary at least I can buy some 25p C64 games from GameStation :o
Count yourself lucky. My GameStation doesn't do computer games except for PC :(
Neither does my local GameStation, they used but then the old computer games just disappered. :cry:

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:51 am

Mine used to.

But then I started buying cheap and selling high to them.

I dumped so much stuff on them that they couldn't unload that they stopped trading in it completely.

Its not my fault their prices were stupidly high.

£60 they gave me for a green screen CPC464 and a bag of games!

Only cost me £8 from the charity shop round the corner :twisted:
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:13 am

Mine has a Playstation with 1 joystick and FFVII & FFVIII for £50 in the window. Not a bad deal if you consider that they are selling the games for £25 each in the shop.

jumpman

Re:

Post by jumpman » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:26 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Mine used to.

But then I started buying cheap and selling high to them.

I dumped so much stuff on them that they couldn't unload that they stopped trading in it completely.

Its not my fault their prices were stupidly high.

£60 they gave me for a green screen CPC464 and a bag of games!

Only cost me £8 from the charity shop round the corner :twisted:
I had a dream last night that my local Gamestation had a whole section of CPC's and CPC+. They were priced between £1500 and £2000.

I had a laugh at them but I was miffed I couldn't afford one.

Bizzarely I once traded in a game a week after I got it and was given the full value as trade-in. And I got the game free with my GBA so I made a 100% profit.
The thing about Gamestations pre-owned policy that bothers me is that they sell brand new titles pre-owned for £3 less than the rrp. Who on earth buys those?

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:22 pm

Well the other way to look at it is.

Who would buy it new? No benefit, it's worth exactly the same the second you walk out of the door, £3 more.

You're essentially paying £3 for some shrink wrap, and given they gut most games you don't even get that.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Bleugh

Post by Bleugh » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:48 am

personally, I'd buy an original xbox, chip it, install a 400 or 500 gig hard drive, install Avalaunch on it, and EVERY mame / snes / megadrive / nes / amiga / etc, etc rom and emulator on there

that'll keep u occupied till you're 80 :-), i know, i've done it and MAME is soooooo addictive

woody.cool

Re:

Post by woody.cool » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:55 am

Bleugh wrote: and MAME is soooooo addictive
MAME32 is my most used app on my Windows PC @ work (much to my boss' annoyance) & @ home!

I work in a school and at luch times some of the kids just want to play games, so the PCs in the IT suite have MAME & shed loads of ROMs!