What happens when you die?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

krusty40

Re: What happens when you die?

Post by krusty40 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:52 am

AlleyKat wrote: *At the sound of a knock on his door, Shinobi pulls the curtains and turns off the lights & TV. He peers out to see a silohette of a clown at the front door, bearing what looks like a hoover and a crucifix. He quickly retreats behind the sofa and doesnt move for the next hour.*:)
Krustys coming...you never know where i may "pop up":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tyGCGN7 ... re=related
Some advertising campaigns are very long indeed...

The Master

Post by The Master » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:55 am

The whole universe is intelligent, the whole universe is "God" - but experiencing everything all at the same time is akin to experiencing nothing at all. It has to divide in order to be able to appreciate itself, and we're a part of that, although there's so much more that we have not even the faintest idea about, and couldn't, in this form.

When we die, I believe, we - our "essence", not our physical form - becomes something else... something we most likely can't even begin to contemplate in our current states.

I must say I'd love to come back as a proper ghostie though - sheets'n'all.
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

Sigma

Post by Sigma » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:08 pm

I don't see how an unimaginably vast black vacuum with a few stars in it could ever become intelligent. But then seeing as we're physically a part of the universe the same as anything else I suppose that's exactly what has happened via the evolution of life.

necronom

Post by necronom » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:51 pm

C=Style wrote:You seem awfully convinced, no actually 101% damn sure that there is nothing after this life.
I am.
C=Style wrote: Yet as you seem to know all the answers to it all and countless millions of worshipers throughout history from the Red Indians to the modern day Hindu's are obviously completely misguided, so could could tell me please how life came about, you know, the old chestnut "where did matter come from, and how did it materialise from nothing". I would like to see your evidence please! It's a real head fuk when you think deeply about it..

The only REAL fact is you don't know for sure as we are not in control of these things.
I most certainly don't know all the answers! I'm just someone who sees the facts, reads books, watches documentaries, etc. From what I know, there was a big bang (I don't know how it started, of if there was a big crunch before it, that caused another bang, etc.), and matter was thrown all over the place. This collected into lumps, and planets formed. These cooled, and water entered the picture (possibly from comets). The water mixed with all the other elements causing very early life. Probably under the sea near those hot water vents. It's something to do with Amino Acids, proteins, etc. I don't think anyone knows for sure, but that's a reasonable theory.

Much better than an invisible guy that made the universe in a few days from nothing, invented defective animals/creatures, then doesn't show up again ever. But if that's what people want to believe, than it doesn't bother me too much, as long as they don't force it on other people.

As for ghosts. If they existed it would have been on TV, in magazines, be a well known fact and we would have no reason to doubt it. If anyone says a ghost visits them every day, then take som video, invite a TV crew, and become a multi-millionnaire selling tickets and TV rights.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Sigma

Post by Sigma » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:15 pm

It does seem highly unlikely that anything should have ever existed at all, particularly with conditions perfect for the evolution of intelligent life. Not that that proves anything, you may as well just say a wizard did it.

necronom

Post by necronom » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:39 pm

Sigma wrote:It does seem highly unlikely that anything should have ever existed at all, particularly with conditions perfect for the evolution of intelligent life. Not that that proves anything, you may as well just say a wizard did it.
The concept of NOTHING existing at all anywhere, ever, really does my head in! :lol:

Since stuff does exist (luckily), the conditions that we have, means that we have an extremely wide scope for almost any kind of chemical or physical reaction to take place. In the vastness of space, and the almost (?) infinite number of places that reactions occur, there is a high probability that something will happen that can start bacteria, proteins, etc to happen. The fact that life does exist means that it was very likely to happen somewhere given the size of space.

I think it's almost a certainty that there will be life on other planets. Bacteria might have come to Earth on a comet /asteroid and started it all off.
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Sigma

Post by Sigma » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:28 pm

necronom wrote:
Since stuff does exist (luckily), the conditions that we have, means that we have an extremely wide scope for almost any kind of chemical or physical reaction to take place. In the vastness of space, and the almost (?) infinite number of places that reactions occur, there is a high probability that something will happen that can start bacteria, proteins, etc to happen. The fact that life does exist means that it was very likely to happen somewhere given the size of space.
But you have to bear in mind that life only exists because it is physically possible for life to evolve due to the laws of physics being the way they are. If you were to mess around with the laws of physics changing say the law of gravity then you could easily end making it so no stars or planets would ever form so life would never evolve anywhere at all you would just have a black void. Our universe just happens to be ideal for the evolution of life by sheer luck.

necronom

Post by necronom » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:05 pm

Life as we know it. Who's to say there wouldn't be a different type of life? If the laws of physics are different, then we might have something odd, like living crystaline creatures, or silicon based life. Bits of Star Trek creaping in there :lol:

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:33 pm

Sigma wrote:Our universe just happens to be ideal for the evolution of life by sheer luck.
'Luck' seems an odd way to put it, to be honest - what constitutes 'bad luck' in this case? To have evolved in, and have the capacity to perceive, a reality in which life as we know it isn't possible? How are we supposed to have perceived it, if we couldn't have existed in it? And how can we tell how long time has run for, how many combinations of physical law have existed, how many different universes could potentially have existed, before this one, which supports life as we know it, occurred?
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

Sigma

Post by Sigma » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:49 pm

We don't have any evidence that there can be life other the kind we're familar with or evidence that there are any other universes other than this one. So you're just talking about something you personally believe in.

krusty40

Post by krusty40 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:53 pm

Sigma wrote:We don't have any evidence that there can be life other the kind we're familar with or evidence that there are any other universes other than this one. So you're just talking about something you personally believe in.
Well we also dont have any evidence that theres NOT life or a similar kind of evolution on other planets so its all open to speculation. I do personally believe we couldnt possibly be the only intelligent life out there.
Some advertising campaigns are very long indeed...

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:02 pm

Sigma wrote:We don't have any evidence that there can be life other the kind we're familar with or evidence that there are any other universes other than this one. So you're just talking about something you personally believe in.
Actually, I was just enquiring into your use of the term 'luck'. If luck=a reality that we can perceive, then surely there must be an opposite, i.e. 'bad luck'. Can you tell me what that is, exactly?
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

Sigma

Post by Sigma » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:12 pm

It's more that there you have something that is likely to happen, say a universe with nothing much in it worth mentioning and something that is unlikely to happen where you have a universe that has sentient life evolving in it. It's only luck as far as we're concerned because we happen to be the life in question. There's no good reason why we should be here at all but it's just the way the dice were rolled.

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:15 pm

Sigma wrote:There's no good reason why we should be here at all but it's just the way the dice were rolled.
I agree with which you're saying about dice being rolled, but if you have enough times to roll the dice, you're bound to throw a double six at some point or another!
:)

Sigma

Post by Sigma » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:53 pm

If we had some evidence that othe universes exist and most of them are lifeless that would clear up the issue. You still have the question of where all these universes came from in the first place though.