What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

DPrinny

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by DPrinny » Sun May 27, 2012 5:31 am

GameCentre CX Dynamite Headdy (both parts)
Its not subbed, but I get by with my "limited" understanding of Japanese
Its both funny and awesome.
Probably one of the best Game Centre CX episodes

Dan vs the telemarketer
A bloody funny episode

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sun May 27, 2012 7:31 am

JetSetWilly wrote:
Katzkatz wrote:
crusto wrote:On the subject of Brosnan Bond films, which is the one with absolutely diabolical special effects? Iirc it may have some sort of surfing scene in it. But I honestly couldnt believe it was actually from the 90's when I saw it.
Die Another Day. It also featured an invisible car and Madonna! That is all you need to know about that film! It was released in 2002.
I actually went to the cinema to watch that, and I thought it was pretty good at the time. I still do, but it is the weakest of the Brosnan Bonds, with awful CGI, and a plot that's been ripped from Diamonds Are Forever wholesale.
Well, the first half of the film has some decent stuff(Bond getting captured and tortured, his release and escape, his escapades in Havana, etc.), the second half feels like they decided to throw everything into the pot. It comes off as a bit of a mess. I think Brosman said that he thought the first half was very good, but the second half he was less pleased with.

Last night, I watched 'The Trouble With Harry' by Hitchcock. It is one of his lesser known films. It is sort of a black comedy. Not one of his best.

I then watched the original black and white 'Scarface'. Hmmm, I think I prefer the Pacino/De Palma version. The original was missing some atmosphere and excitement.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun May 27, 2012 12:27 pm

JetSetWilly wrote:
Katzkatz wrote:
crusto wrote:On the subject of Brosnan Bond films, which is the one with absolutely diabolical special effects? Iirc it may have some sort of surfing scene in it. But I honestly couldnt believe it was actually from the 90's when I saw it.
Die Another Day. It also featured an invisible car and Madonna! That is all you need to know about that film! It was released in 2002.
I actually went to the cinema to watch that, and I thought it was pretty good at the time. I still do, but it is the weakest of the Brosnan Bonds, with awful CGI, and a plot that's been ripped from Diamonds Are Forever wholesale.
I saw it at the cinema too. It was one of those films where I enjoyed it at the time but looking back now it isn't that amazing. Not awful but nothing I'd go out of my way to re-watch. I think they had the villain's Jag (or one of them anyway - I'm assuming they have multiple examples on the set) in the Coventry Transport Museum last time I went. The green XK with a minigun in the boot :)

I've gone off Bond films in general though to be honest. Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies and The World is Not Enough are okay but the older ones can sometimes be a bit too cheesy to watch these days and the Daniel Craig films feel too different to be true Bond films. I dunno...I don't hate them, I just don't enjoy them like I used to.

Ended up watching Eurovision for some insane reason last night and what a load of sh!t. The usual political voting and false-looking grins were out in force and I feel sorry for our entry who was already doomed to get such a terrible score.

The only reason to watch is to check out the international totty representing the other European countries/announcing the results from their country but even that isn't worth sitting through several hours worth of utter bilge for.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sun May 27, 2012 12:33 pm

Had an awesome night last night, all the friends around watching Eurovision

People always moan about political voting, yet those same people expect to get full points from Ireland & Malta. Pot Kettle?

It wasn't as good as it has been in previous years but seeing Mr Lordi announce Finlands result? That was hysterical

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun May 27, 2012 12:42 pm

Rayne wrote:People always moan about political voting, yet those same people expect to get full points from Ireland & Malta. Pot Kettle?
Well I don't personally. I see no reason why Malta of all places would give us full points even if they have in the past. It's just very predictable how all the Eastern European countries vote for their neighbours or Russia. Just a bit pointless how it's supposed to be a music contest yet hardly any of the voting is based on music. All it does is highlight how much of Europe dislikes the UK for some reason :lol:

I suppose it's a bit of a laugh if not taken seriously though.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sun May 27, 2012 2:53 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Rayne wrote:People always moan about political voting, yet those same people expect to get full points from Ireland & Malta. Pot Kettle?
Well I don't personally. I see no reason why Malta of all places would give us full points even if they have in the past. It's just very predictable how all the Eastern European countries vote for their neighbours or Russia. Just a bit pointless how it's supposed to be a music contest yet hardly any of the voting is based on music. All it does is highlight how much of Europe dislikes the UK for some reason :lol:

I suppose it's a bit of a laugh if not taken seriously though.
Even by that logic though, does anyone stop to consider that Serbia & Moldova's music tastes may not be identical to ours? Just because something on screen sounds crap to us doesn't mean it's not chart topping in other countries, imagine what a Russian would think of dappy :lol:

Still, I think from the get-go the UK were out to lose it this year. Hosting the Olypmics (yawn) AND Eurovision next year? NHS meals would be replaced with bread and water to make up the cost!

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Sun May 27, 2012 3:14 pm

Haywire

Terrible movie, avoid. Worst film I've seen in a long time and I watched Kentucky Fried Movie yesterday!
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun May 27, 2012 4:35 pm

The Angry Jock wrote:Haywire

Terrible movie, avoid. Worst film I've seen in a long time and I watched Kentucky Fried Movie yesterday!
Whilst we are on the subject, I had a KFC today. It was ok, but I wanted a maccy's in truth and if a BK would have been nearby I was well up for a whopper. Why do kids always get their own way?

Eat your nans pants

James A

Post by James A » Sun May 27, 2012 6:31 pm

The Raid. Best martial arts flick ive seen since Ong Bak. The fights have to be seen to be believed. I left the cinema grinning like an idiot after watching it. Tempted to see it again instead of the Avengers later in the week.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun May 27, 2012 7:25 pm

Alien vs Hunter.
For a budget film it was rather good.
All this CGi used in sci-fi films these days is censored, give me a man in a good alien suit

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon May 28, 2012 1:15 pm

DPrinny wrote:Alien vs Hunter.
All this CGi used in sci-fi films these days is censored, give me a man in a good alien suit
Then you should watch Alien Vs Ninja if you haven't already. The alien in that is clearly a guy in a suit and there's sh!tloads of ace fighting/action.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon May 28, 2012 1:19 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Then you should watch Alien Vs Ninja if you haven't already. The alien in that is clearly a guy in a suit and there's sh!tloads of ace fighting/action.
When I find a copy of it ill nab it.

I havent seen one yet

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon May 28, 2012 1:21 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Megamixer wrote:
When I find a copy of it ill nab it.

I havent seen one yet
New copies from £2.49 on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listin ... dition=new

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon May 28, 2012 1:29 pm

Nar I am looking in Poundland

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Tue May 29, 2012 5:58 am

I watched three episodes of 'Blue Bloods', from season two. Got a couple of episodes of this season left to watch.