What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

JetSetWilly

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by JetSetWilly » Wed May 16, 2012 11:31 am

Katzkatz wrote:Last night I watched 'Dr. No'. Still good after all these years. Yes some of the film is a little rough around the edges(the use of back projection and so on), but it still holds up well. The story is quite paired down and sticks close to the novel. The set design(by Ken Adam) is still stunning to the eye. It has some nice dark edges to it(unlike some of the Moore efforts).
I watched that on Saturday. I have to agree, it is an ace film. Ticks all the right boxes. I myself am in the middle of watching Krull right now. All sorts of awesomeness :D
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed May 16, 2012 4:01 pm

More Homeland and Game of Thrones, both getting better and better...

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Thu May 17, 2012 8:53 am

I watched 'Prisoners of War'. It is the original Israeli TV series on which 'Homeland' is based on. Quite good. I watched it out of curiosity mainly, just to compare it with 'Homeland'. I still have more episodes to watch. It doesn't seem to be as fast paced as the US version.

I then watched the first episode of 'Being Human'. I have heard a lot about this series. A pretty good premise for a show. Lots of moral dilemmas and so on. Unfortunately, I just found out that there was a pilot episode and Watch didn't show that!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu May 17, 2012 12:42 pm

UK or US Being Human? The UK one is pretty good, though it has its ups and downs.

I've only watched the first episode of the US one and it didn't quite have the same charm. I'm tempted to return to it though as its got Sam Witwer in.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Thu May 17, 2012 5:19 pm

The Blob (1988) - the original was very much a product of its time, and so is this. It's full of some very imaginative practical effects, which you know would just be fully replaced by CGI if it was released today. It's made very much with 50's b-movies in mind, so concentrates more on the action than the character development. That said, it does add a bit more background to the origins of the Blob itself and is good fun throughout.

The Grey - Liam Neeson versus a pack of wolves in Alaska might sound like another typical action film, but it's more of a drama that's as bleak as the landscape. By using "everyman" blue collar males as the protagonists, it instantly becomes more interesting than the usual crazy college kids schlock. The scenery looks stunning and the director does a good job of keeping you interested throughout, and wondering where the next attack will come from. I also found it very useful for scaring pet cats

commanderkaiser

Post by commanderkaiser » Thu May 17, 2012 5:31 pm

Rewatched Scott Pilgrim earlier, I'm now also rewatching Shawn of the Dead.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Thu May 17, 2012 10:42 pm

JetSetWilly wrote:
Katzkatz wrote:Last night I watched 'Dr. No'. Still good after all these years. Yes some of the film is a little rough around the edges(the use of back projection and so on), but it still holds up well. The story is quite paired down and sticks close to the novel. The set design(by Ken Adam) is still stunning to the eye. It has some nice dark edges to it(unlike some of the Moore efforts).
I watched that on Saturday. I have to agree, it is an ace film. Ticks all the right boxes.
Yep, it perhaps needs to get a bit more recognition. The print that ITV used, did looking amazing, really sharp.
Antiriad2097 wrote:UK or US Being Human? The UK one is pretty good, though it has its ups and downs.

I've only watched the first episode of the US one and it didn't quite have the same charm. I'm tempted to return to it though as its got Sam Witwer in.
The UK version. It is currently be repeated on Watch. I didn't know that there was a US version? Was it ever broadcast in the UK? If so, on what channel?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri May 18, 2012 1:56 am

No idea of what's broadcast where, all my TV comes from the internet. I set my own schedules.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Fri May 18, 2012 11:56 am

Last night I caught up with a bit more of 'Touch'. Decent stuff, but maybe the whole 'everything is connected and my autistic child can figure it all out' storyline is perhaps dragging a bit.

I then watched the final two episodes of season 4 of 'Fringe'. A really good ending to the series. There are a few surprises in store - that's all I can say without revealing anything! I hope that season 5 can wrap up all the storylines.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sat May 19, 2012 11:28 am

I caught up with some more 'Grim'. Did two episodes back-to-back. Decent stuff, especially this week's episode.

I also caught up with more of 'The Good Wife'.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sun May 20, 2012 11:27 am

I caught up with more of 'Justified'. Good stuff from Raylan and co.

I then started watching some of 'The Bridge'. It is a Danish and Swedish TV crime series that got aired on BBC 4. Sort of reminds me of the film 'Seven'.

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Mon May 21, 2012 3:49 am

Confessions. Done as only the Japanese know how. Traumatic when one thinks about it. And very well acted by the two young boys.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon May 21, 2012 1:32 pm

The Switch. Really straightforward and not very funny rom-com (ugh...) with a predictable ending. Jeniffer Aniston was nice to look at and Jeff Goldblum was funny but otherwise it was a waste of time.

Remedied it by putting The Mask on afterwards for another watch. Smoooookiiin'! :)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

crusto

Post by crusto » Mon May 21, 2012 2:37 pm

Ive been watching Eddie Murphy in Delirious and RAW recently. He is hilarious. Considering they were filmed in 83 and 87 respectively they have aged incredibly well. I highly recommend them to anyone who hasnt seen them.

Eat your nans pants

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Mon May 21, 2012 2:47 pm

I watched Journey 2: The Mysterious Island yesterday afternoon with the kids... I enjoyed it.. took me back to my childhood watching Doug McClure movies with my parents :D