What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

DPrinny

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by DPrinny » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:29 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:17 am
Same here. I was too old for the WWF when it arrived here, it seemed like silly panto (which it is to an extent). I randomly picked up a Mick Foley bio from a charity shop and it really opened my eyes to just how physical and real the pain can be for these guys. It might be predetermined, but it isn't all fake, they go through a lot to put on a show and it's far from glamorous. Also, Mick turned out to be great with stand up when he toured with that.
Big moves like people falling off things, or "Holy censored" moments and the ending are planned out in advance.
What happens between those bits are called on the fly.
Its basically a live stunt show.
They can get hurt, but its all about making it look like it does.
Films/TV can have multiple takes, these guys get one (99% of the time, the new thing of cinematic matches its taking that down)
Its the spectacle of it all that drew me in

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:54 am

Reverse for me. As a kid I loved watching wrestling on ITV at lunchtime and really enjoyed it. Then a bit like father xmas came the realisation that oh no it’s fake and made up ! Like Antiriad I was too old for WWF etc when that arrived I think on Sky. I was about 17/18 and got into pubs and going out and watching fake wrestling just wasn’t for me

Don’t get me wrong they’re highly skilled (and drugged up to get that size) and the American version was done very well. But I was too old for it. Still find it strange when some guy in their late 30’s has some undertaker t shirt on publically

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:04 am

I wached The Pope of Greenwich Village (1987) last night. It stars a very young Mickey Rourke and Eric Roberts as two guys who get fired from their restaraunt jobs, turn to crime and attempt a huge robbery, which in turn upsets the local mafia don. Also stars Darryl Hannah and the perrenial Burt Young (Sopranos' Baccala Sr.).

Despite Roberts' overacting, it's actually really good and depicts New York in all it's gritty 80s relistic, grimy glory. I've never been a Mickey Rourke fan, but he's great in this.
Thoughts and prayers.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:14 am

Shazam, superhero fluff, was kinda entertaining, the funny bits where all in the trailer
psj3809 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:54 am
Don’t get me wrong they’re highly skilled (and drugged up to get that size) and the American version was done very well. But I was too old for it. Still find it strange when some guy in their late 30’s has some undertaker t shirt on publically
The Roid thing is no longer allowed from the main promotions, kinda why a lot of them dont look as big,
Its not for everyone

I dont own an Undertaker T-shirt..............
(But do own some others)
Then you get wrestlers that wear what is basically a football shirt to the ring

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:36 pm

Never really got to watch Wrestleing growing up although some of my mates were into it, oddly though I still got give a Hulk Hogan soft toy.

I got through Home Alone 2, Elf and Miricle on 34th Street '94 to start to come to the endof the Xmas movies (Christmas ends Jan 6th before anyone moans) getting kinda bored though, did think about finidng something Motorsport wise (haven't seen Lemans 66 yet) but it grinds me a bit as been missing my Car a lot of late.
Watching you sleep since 1990

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:31 am

The last series of Still game, is it ironic for a comedy series to make people sad at the end?
I also thought it had more episodes.

Rurouni Kenshin the first live action film
Its pretty much one of the best anime/manga to live action conversions, yeah stuff is changed but its kinda hard to fit in a lot of the story into two hours. it sometimes feels like the action scenes are a bit to fast
Been on a bit of a binge of the manga of late as the third film is coming out soon

Death to 2020
No wipe this year, just a comedic look back, I forgot that Australia was on fire for the first bit of the year

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:39 pm

Mandalorian season 2 - enjoyed it. Currently on season 4 of Agents of Shield (Ghost Rider season), love and hate this show - goes on for too long but some good bits in it all the same.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:18 am

Soul
He dies in the start..............
The film seemed to be a bit pretentious with its message, a guy is about to follow his dream and it turns out to be a bit of a bad choice

Feck that was me like two years ago
Its a bit of a depressing film considering its over all message,

Edit
Yeah dont watch that film if you question "Why do I bother" on some days

Rurouni Kenshin 3 the legend ends
That everything, its not 100% faithful to the source material, a lot of things are missing (Like how Shishio can make his sword go on fire) but its so bloody good to watch.

Nicky Larson Et le parfum de cupidon
French live action City hunter, a great adaptation of the manga/anime, really funny. very rude, good action and slapstick.
Its.........and it hurts me to say it, more faithful to the source material than the Jackie Chan film

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:29 am

LE Mans 1966 fantastic film.
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:38 am

Finished the Liberator - really liked it. Once i got used to the graphic style it was alright, lots of action

Also finished off Ash vs Evil Dead, when i heard the series got axed i didnt bother watching the rest of season 3. Had a look and really enjoyed it again, do like it when episodes are about 28 minutes long. Just the right size.

Anyway decent finish, heard its doing well on Netflix. Shame it ended but 3 seasons was decent, nice old skool effects just like Evil Dead II so i'm glad they kept that style. Just need to finish Z Nation now !

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:10 am

oldtimer wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:29 am
This is definately on my to watch list, loved the story of this and it's such a shame with what they did to Ken and what happened to him as he was supposed to be stupid fast and they capped him as he wasn't their Star driver.
Watching you sleep since 1990

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:34 pm

Sega2006 wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:10 am
oldtimer wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:29 am
This is definately on my to watch list, loved the story of this and it's such a shame with what they did to Ken and what happened to him as he was supposed to be stupid fast and they capped him as he wasn't their Star driver.
I bought it on bluray dvd ,and yes Ken Miles was dumped on big time because he wasnt a team player.
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:04 pm

Spent the weekend bingeing Detectorists on IPlayer. 18 episodes plus the Xmas special. I thoroughly recommend it.
Thoughts and prayers.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:49 pm

City Hunter: Shinjuku Private Eyes, fun anime OVA,

keedor

Post by keedor » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:27 pm

This afternoon I watched the 2019 live action version of The Lion King on Blu-ray.

Although I am a fan of the original animated tale, I think I preferred this new one even more!