What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
Sel Feena
Posts: 3538
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:38 pm

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by Sel Feena » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:11 am

Superhero telly has really hit a high point lately imo, The Boys, Umbrella Academy and Doom Patrol all seem to be doing well. I’ve definitely been enjoying the first two of those three, haven’t been able to see Doom Patrol
Image

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24848
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by DPrinny » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:46 am

Been watching a Tekashis castle, some episodes on Youtube,
Why would you run at what might be a hard wood door head first?

Star trek Lower decks e2
Book learning bad, so is this series, sticking to my three episode rule, but the female leed is far to annoying

Finished re watching Trigun, I could only remember bits of it, still good

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24848
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by DPrinny » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:39 pm

High score on Netflix
A selected history of video games, missing out vast chunks of info (Like Segas history, instead its right onto the "Genesis" and Sonic).
Total trash

srj672
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:28 pm

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by srj672 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:38 am

Finished Umbrella Academy series 2, which was brilliant

Waiting on next episode of Lovecraft Country now

srj672
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:28 pm

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by srj672 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:27 am

DPrinny wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:39 pm
High score on Netflix
A selected history of video games, missing out vast chunks of info (Like Segas history, instead its right onto the "Genesis" and Sonic).
Total trash
It's such a shame this was a bit unfocused and it did indeed miss out vast chunks of gaming history. But what there was I really enjoyed. I especially liked the interviews with the people who had taken part in competitions. It's something I didn't know know about, so from that point of view, I found it had some new information for me.

User avatar
Sega2006
Posts: 6271
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:29 pm
Location: Stevenage

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by Sega2006 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:34 pm

It missed the actual begining from what I've seen so far, no mention of the PDP or Ralph Bauer and it's only really touched on the US, in Japan and Europe it was a different story during the crash.
Watching you sleep since 1990

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24848
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by DPrinny » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:18 pm

Sega2006 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:34 pm
It missed the actual begining from what I've seen so far, no mention of the PDP or Ralph Bauer and it's only really touched on the US, in Japan and Europe it was a different story during the crash.
Im honesty wondering why im seeing people praising it

User avatar
Sega2006
Posts: 6271
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:29 pm
Location: Stevenage

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by Sega2006 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:51 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:18 pm
Sega2006 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:34 pm
It missed the actual begining from what I've seen so far, no mention of the PDP or Ralph Bauer and it's only really touched on the US, in Japan and Europe it was a different story during the crash.
Im honesty wondering why im seeing people praising it
Probabaly the same muppets who think Nintendo made the first console ever and £70 is a sane amount to spend on Fortnite skins
Watching you sleep since 1990

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24848
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by DPrinny » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:25 pm

Sega2006 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:51 pm
DPrinny wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:18 pm
Sega2006 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:34 pm
It missed the actual begining from what I've seen so far, no mention of the PDP or Ralph Bauer and it's only really touched on the US, in Japan and Europe it was a different story during the crash.
Im honesty wondering why im seeing people praising it
Probabaly the same muppets who think Nintendo made the first console ever and £70 is a sane amount to spend on Fortnite skins
The Funkopop buyin, Pi emulatin, s**ty documentary watchin, Nintendo t-shirt wearin tosspots.

Edit - Apparently hating this makes me a white bigoted anti SJW homophobic looser according to a thread about it on Facebook

pratty
Posts: 5546
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by pratty » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:35 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:18 pm
Sega2006 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:34 pm
It missed the actual begining from what I've seen so far, no mention of the PDP or Ralph Bauer and it's only really touched on the US, in Japan and Europe it was a different story during the crash.
Im honesty wondering why im seeing people praising it
They were probably just entertained rather than expecting a comprehensive history of every game ever, what can you expect from 6 episodes? To be fair Netflix say it's just the history of classic video games, not the history of video gaming.

Also from a practical view it may have made sense to focus on things they had the most material on, on the people the were able to interview etc.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

pratty
Posts: 5546
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by pratty » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:38 pm

Watched Confucius with the legendary Chow Yun Fat.

It was good but not great. It was a grand spectacle but even at two hours elements seemed rushed by the editing. To be fair a longer film may have become boring. Good performance by CYF though.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

User avatar
Sega2006
Posts: 6271
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:29 pm
Location: Stevenage

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by Sega2006 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:57 pm

pratty wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:35 pm
DPrinny wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:18 pm
Sega2006 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:34 pm
It missed the actual begining from what I've seen so far, no mention of the PDP or Ralph Bauer and it's only really touched on the US, in Japan and Europe it was a different story during the crash.
Im honesty wondering why im seeing people praising it
They were probably just entertained rather than expecting a comprehensive history of every game ever, what can you expect from 6 episodes? To be fair Netflix say it's just the history of classic video games, not the history of video gaming.

Also from a practical view it may have made sense to focus on things they had the most material on, on the people the were able to interview etc.
I get that but can still touch on it, they managed the Fairchild Channel F which is the fist Cart based system and obviously Ralph is no longer alive but you could show a timeline in sub 30 seconds and insted of saying world crash say US crash as thats all it really was.
Watching you sleep since 1990

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24848
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by DPrinny » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:53 am

Speaking of Netflix
Venom is on it,
Watched it, it was ok, the Symbiote fight was a mess of CG

pratty
Posts: 5546
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by pratty » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:26 pm

Tenet. I was really looking forward to this and wasn't disappointed. I avoided most of the trailers, previews and reviews and possibly enjoyed it more for doing that.

During the first half of the film or so it does get a bit difficult to follow, but so long as you go with it things start to be explained and there are plenty of ah-ha moments once the dots start to connect. In typical Nolan fashion it begs for a second viewing. It probably has Nolan's best action scenes, and I thought there's a hint of a modern Bond movie to it aswell.

Musa: The Wariror. Korean period action epic from 2001, with the stunning Zhang Ziyi. Seen it a few times before, still very good.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

User avatar
merman
Posts: 6478
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:14 pm
Location: Skegness, UK
Contact:

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by merman » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:16 am

High Score on Netflix - completed it, mate.

Have to say it's mixed. I did enjoy the pixel art animations and some interesting anecdotes, but the factual errors were glaring and annoying. Street Fighter II did NOT pioneer the fighting game, and it was depressing to see Becky Heinemann in the RPG episode without any mention of her work on The Bard's Tale series!

So, glad it exists and quite enjoyable to watch. It's a junk food docuseries rather than a substantial and filling history of gaming.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests