What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Sephiroth81

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:56 pm

Yeah i don't think anybody can really say The Walking Dead is some sort of masterpiece storyline - it's basically a dramatic neverending soap opera. We watch it, and I probably consider it in the same stimulation bracket as Holby City.

It's a bit of fun with gratuitous gore thrown in. The acting is hammy and storylines based on a comic book. Next season Neagan will get killed, by Rick....eventually, over 16 episodes.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:02 pm

gman72 wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote: the tigers scenes were laughable for more than one reason
How on earth did the tiger know which ones were the bad guys?

Haha, exactly! And how did it go from a 10 foot monster to about the size of a cuddly toy when it was rolling about on top of that bad guy?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:55 am

Who's That Knocking At My Door - Martin Scorsese's first full length film. Sort of a warm-up for Mean Streets, and it does sort of show. Filmed in black and white, and with shades of Fellini thrown in. Harvey Keitel plays a small time gangster in New York's Little Italy. Not really much happens in terms of an actual plot - it's more about the lives of the characters. I actually quite liked it. It's interesting, but I can imagine that unless you're a fan of his work then you might not like the film. Casual fans probably won't appreciate it.

Don't Breathe - a thriller. Three young teenagers who practise burglary go after a millionaire's house. The thing is that he is a blind former soldier. Sort of plays around with the the theme of blindness much like Don't Wait Until Dark did. Quite a well executed thriller and keeps you on your toes.

P. S. - The Sony Channel is planning on showing Orange is the New Black from season one on the 19th April. So, if you have Virgin, Sky or Talk Talk you can finally get to see it.

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:00 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:Yeah i don't think anybody can really say The Walking Dead is some sort of masterpiece storyline - it's basically a dramatic neverending soap opera. We watch it, and I probably consider it in the same stimulation bracket as Holby City.

It's a bit of fun with gratuitous gore thrown in. The acting is hammy and storylines based on a comic book. Next season Neagan will get killed, by Rick....eventually, over 16 episodes.
Maybe, but if they stick to the comics, then it wont happen.

Also if anyone like Orange is the new black, then i cant recommend "Wentworth" high enough. Its a reimagining of Prisoner cell block H, and its very decent.

dste

Post by dste » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:14 am

psj3809 wrote:Tickled

A documentary about the 'sport' of tickling. Wont give much away but there's quite a few surprises about this 'sinister' hobby. Really good
I remember seeing the trailer for that, wouldn't mind watching it. Looked seriously messed up.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:35 am

Watched 'Haunting of Julia" slow paced but the music, direction and acting was perfect had my old gray matter working overtime throughout the film. At first I was annoyed you didn't see that much of creepy ghost girl 'Oliva' at the end of the film "Eureka" it dawned on me my conclusion is that Olivia(ghost girl) cannot do things in the physical way as she's a ghost she isn't corporeal as Mrs. Fludd stated. So she eventually began to possess Mia Farrows character Julia and used her to carry out the killings'' as you'd see a female in a mirror or walk past quickly but they never used loud music to bring attention to this, blink and you'ed miss her whilst a superb Castlevania piano like piece played through these scenes. with a female shown leave after the Killings. This was not revealed but imo the film gradually hinted at Julia doing the killings subtley throughout the film with Alice's back story how she strangled then dismembering a young boy as he was German and the others kids lying to protect her. Ending was evil a total head F with the monkey symbols clashing and the chair panning out
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:23 am

psj3809 wrote:Tickled

A documentary about the 'sport' of tickling. Wont give much away but there's quite a few surprises about this 'sinister' hobby. Really good
I watched this last night. The first 20 minutes are a bit slow. It does a 180 degrees twist about halfway through the film(you'll know what I mean when you see it). Yeah, quite interesting little documentary.

Chicken - a British film about a young retarded boy living with his brother in caravan on a small farm. It reminded me a bit of Kes. Quite a decent little film about growing up.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:57 am

Populaire - a French romantic comedy. It's about a young woman from a small town who manages to get a job at an insurance firm as a secretary. She's pretty hopeless except - for her amazing typing skills. Her boss notices her talent and decides to train for the the national typewriting competition. There's the usual "Rocky-type" montage training scenes. It's light and fluffy, but I have to say I was entertained and amused by it.

Shadow Dancer - set in Northern Ireland during the troubles and in the 1990s. It stars Clive Owen, Gillian Anderson and Andrea Riseborough. An IRA informant has to inform on her local gang and stay alive - meanwhile her MI5 handler must try and manage to keep her alive. It plays out as a low key thriller - more like Gary Oldman's Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. Quite a decent film - if you like a slow paced and more thoughtful type of movie.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:46 am

Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors git the 4 disc box set couldn't remember much about it apart from being scared of Sawboss as a kid. This is a weird cartoon some episodes are super dark such as the Living Mask ala Horror Mask of Splatterhouse. When Jayse puts it on he's killing all the monster minds (he's actually shown killing them) and the back story about how the guy put his soul inside his mask/armour and went around murdering bad guys, he then starts to kill people who disagreed with him. As he's then considered a tyrant as he's killing indiscriminately his body is destroyed but the mask is indestructible so the mask sealed away. Anybody who wears the mask it gradually overshadows the sound within. The Mask talks to Jayce saying "put me on I can Help save your friends"

Some other episode where super kiddy overly happy not killing the Monster minds just pushing them
Over, or in one episode the Monster Minds get incased in gold but rather then turn to statues they pursue the Lightening League and get owned by some falling pots. Later episode some religious nuts just executing people as they're god told them to then back to the joke episodes with Oon the eternal squire who is T bot and Scrappy Doo levels of annoying.

Think this is one for the random niceness threads
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

dste

Post by dste » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:01 pm

Shinobi wrote:Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors
I used to love watching Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors when I was younger. One of those programmes where when you mention it now people either say that they watched it all the time or that they have never heard of it.

I finished Bojack Horseman season two. Don't know whether to carry on in to season three or take a break and watch something else first.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

stvd

Post by stvd » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:46 pm

Kong - Skull Island. Garbage. :(

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:08 pm

Picked up 'the moorside' on DVD, looking forward to watching it, think it will be a bit creepy and weird

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:41 am

Shinobi wrote:Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors git the 4 disc box set couldn't remember much about it apart from being scared of Sawboss as a kid. This is a weird cartoon some episodes are super dark such as the Living Mask ala Horror Mask of Splatterhouse. When Jayse puts it on he's killing all the monster minds (he's actually shown killing them) and the back story about how the guy put his soul inside his mask/armour and went around murdering bad guys, he then starts to kill people who disagreed with him. As he's then considered a tyrant as he's killing indiscriminately his body is destroyed but the mask is indestructible so the mask sealed away. Anybody who wears the mask it gradually overshadows the sound within. The Mask talks to Jayce saying "put me on I can Help save your friends"

Some other episode where super kiddy overly happy not killing the Monster minds just pushing them
Over, or in one episode the Monster Minds get incased in gold but rather then turn to statues they pursue the Lightening League and get owned by some falling pots. Later episode some religious nuts just executing people as they're god told them to then back to the joke episodes with Oon the eternal squire who is T bot and Scrappy Doo levels of annoying.

Think this is one for the random niceness threads

Loved that series as a kid. One of the best theme songs ever too.

Always grew up thinking the bad guy was called zarbos, only realised as an adult it was actually Sawboss.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:32 am

Léon - The Professional - The Extended Edition - I hadn't seen this film before but, had heard a lot about it. Directed by Luc Besson and starring Jean Reno, Natalie Portman and Gary Oldman. A young girl is orphaned by a corrupt cop and then goes to live with a hitman. It's an interesting film, especially because it deals with the young girl's relationship with the hitman and growing up and adjusting to new situations. Now : "EVERYONE!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:09 am

Iron Fist. Been putting this off due to reported slow start. It is indeed slow but not too bad.