What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Bluce_Ree

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by Bluce_Ree » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:06 am

When RetroPassion became RP2MP, the most active part of the forum was Koopa and Imdiscussing the horrible decline of Bones. We had a pact to watch it to the end. The show's constant shark jumping and terrible writing eventually broke Koops but I stuck it out.

Anyway this week they finally aired the final ever episode.

It was dreadful. I'm so glad that's over.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:03 am

Jack Reacher: never go back. It was OK but too much like a Bourne movie. I don't think there should be a 3rd because the character is a bit too bland.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:52 am

Miller's Crossing - the Coen Brothers can be a bit hit-and-miss for me but, this is one of their best works. It was a re-watch. Good performance from Albert Finney as an American gangster and Gabriel Byrne as is second-in-command. Set during the prohibition era in the USA. I love the soundtrack as well.

100 Streets - a film about three different people's lives set in modern day London. Starring Iris Elba, Gemma Atherton and Charlie Creed-Miles. Well acted throughout. Interesting little character studies in this film.

dste

Post by dste » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:39 pm

The Nice Guys.

Bar two decent laughs it was pretty terrible and way too long. Needed to chop off at least 20-30mins and put some more jokes in.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:35 pm

Now you see me.

Watched in anticipation of watching the 2nd one later tonight. My GF loves the first one and wants to watch the 2nd one so To watch it with her I had to catch up and watch the first one.

Really really enjoyed it and am really looking forward to the 2nd one.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:23 pm

Instead of a new episode of Samurai jack he channel shows the first episode of series 3 of Rick and Morty

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:40 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:Now you see me.

Watched in anticipation of watching the 2nd one later tonight. My GF loves the first one and wants to watch the 2nd one so To watch it with her I had to catch up and watch the first one.

As is so often the case, the sequel is pants, nowhere near as good as the first. Don't get your hopes too high.

This weekend, we have watched:

Mechanic: Resurrection. A good example of the above. It isn't terrible, only terribly predictable, but I expected a bit more from this one. Still, it's Statham, so its hard to be really disappointed, his movies tend to be at least competent.

Underworld: Blood Wars. A solid entry in the franchise, vampires fight werewolves, expect overblown dialogue for a paper thin plot and plenty of action and you'll be happy enough with it. Its just another Underworld movie, so you'll know before you stat whether you'll like it or not.

Room. A bit too arty farty for me, being much more interested in the characters of the captive woman and her kid than the abduction, captivity, the captor, or any of the investigation or legal proceedings that could have made it worth watching. As a half hour TV show it might have been fine, but an hour and a half of it was just too long.

The Expendables. Want to watch the sequels so made Mrs Ant sit through this. She didn't hate it.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:28 pm

The Autopsy of Jane Doe - a father and son coronary team try to discover the cause of death for a mysteriously well preserved body. Intelligent and creepy, with a genuinely unsettling performance from the titular character who quite literally doesn't move a muscle. Recommended

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:06 pm

Tickled

A documentary about the 'sport' of tickling. Wont give much away but there's quite a few surprises about this 'sinister' hobby. Really good

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:06 pm

Broadchurch - they could trim this down by an episode or two each season. I quite like the characters but it's dragging now and I think that's sad.

Orange is the New Black - avoided until now as it just didn't appeal. I was quite wrong. Only criticisms are
A) Main Character is quite dull and my patience with her is already done
B) The humour seems to be sapping a bit as we approach the end of season 2. That said , I do understand the story arcs can't always accommodate super happy fun times. Knocks Bad Girls on its ass and bites chunks out of its southern regions.

Walking Dead S7 finale - not quite the explosive ending but at least it opened the door. I've seen a lot worse.

Looking forward to S3 of Hinterland tomorrow - it's done a better job than Broadchurch.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:41 pm

shiftytigger wrote:
Walking Dead S7 finale - not quite the explosive ending but at least it opened the door. I've seen a lot worse.
We sat there and waited... and waited ... and waited for him to open that fecking coffin! I'm glad he did eventually get it open because we were all ready to throw up with the over the top smoochy woochy crap going on inside it :lol:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:43 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:Now you see me.

As is so often the case, the sequel is pants, nowhere near as good as the first. Don't get your hopes too high.

This weekend, we have watched:

Mechanic: Resurrection. A good example of the above. It isn't terrible, only terribly predictable, but I expected a bit more from this one. Still, it's Statham, so its hard to be really disappointed, his movies tend to be at least competent.

Underworld: Blood Wars. A solid entry in the franchise, vampires fight werewolves, expect overblown dialogue for a paper thin plot and plenty of action and you'll be happy enough with it. Its just another Underworld movie, so you'll know before you stat whether you'll like it or not.

Room. A bit too arty farty for me, being much more interested in the characters of the captive woman and her kid than the abduction, captivity, the captor, or any of the investigation or legal proceedings that could have made it worth watching. As a half hour TV show it might have been fine, but an hour and a half of it was just too long.

The Expendables. Want to watch the sequels so made Mrs Ant sit through this. She didn't hate it.

Yeah, the sequel was a bit of a letdown, especially after really enjoying the original.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:26 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:The Expendables. Want to watch the sequels so made Mrs Ant sit through this. She didn't hate it.
I personally think the second one is the best. The first seems a little bit 'limited' once you've watched Expendables 2 and third - while entertaining - was a just a bit ridiculous with far too many characters involved. Great series overall though but I doubt there will be any more as Expendables 3 seemed to tank at the cinemas (it disappeared at the Odeon here in less than 2 weeks!).

Watched Heat for the umpteenth time the other night and decided - sod it - this is my favourite film. That shootout scene in particular is so raw and free of special effects. You just know that a similar thing on such a scale wouldn't be filmed anymore.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:22 pm

markopoloman wrote:
shiftytigger wrote:
We sat there and waited... and waited ... and waited for him to open that fecking coffin! I'm glad he did eventually get it open because we were all ready to throw up with the over the top smoochy woochy crap going on inside it :lol:

I know what you mean, but the last episode in each season always seems to do that. The 5 minute eulogy at the end to Glen was even worse. Thought the climax was a massive cop-out and the tigers scenes were laughable for more than one reason
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:04 pm

paranoid marvin wrote: the tigers scenes were laughable for more than one reason
How on earth did the tiger know which ones were the bad guys?
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD