What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

mr jenzie

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by mr jenzie » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:24 pm

the revanent
the visit

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:31 pm

Star ship Troopers is worse; first film is awesome (yet another Verhoeven classic) rest are utterly abysmal
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:42 am

The Roughneck Chronicles tv series was decent though.

Fantastic Beasts, Doctor Strange and Jack Reacher 2 have been this weekend's selections so far. First two good, the last one utterly predictable and bland.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:00 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Jack Reacher 2 ... utterly predictable and bland.
Sounds like hollywood has decided to stay faithful to the books then.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:50 am

Assassin's Creed. It captured the 'oh god, how much longer is this going to go on for?' feel of the games perfectly.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:28 am

This weeks Samurai jack
They really arent cheaping out on the animation and mood on this
Jacks depressed and having suicidal thoughts (not aging for 50 years can do that)
Aku is also down in the dumps and fed up

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:00 am

Blue Ruin - I finally got around to viewing this. The director(Jeremy Saulnier) has gone on to make things like Green Room(which I haven't seen yet). It's sort of revenge thriller about a drifter who goes after the family who killed his parents. Has the same brooding quiet atmosphere of No Country For Old Men and reminded me a little bit of Straw Dogs. Good performance by Macon Blair. Quite a good little indie thriller.

@Dprinny - Does that make up for the cinematic rubbish that I viewed earlier? :lol:

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:40 am

Katzkatz wrote:Blue Ruin - I finally got around to viewing this. The director(Jeremy Saulnier) has gone on to make things like Green Room(which I haven't seen yet). It's sort of revenge thriller about a drifter who goes after the family who killed his parents. Has the same brooding quiet atmosphere of No Country For Old Men and reminded me a little bit of Straw Dogs. Good performance by Macon Blair. Quite a good little indie thriller.

@Dprinny - Does that make up for the cinematic rubbish that I viewed earlier? :lol:

Coincidentally I just watched Green Room. Very well made tense film where you know something awful is going to happen at any moment. Patrick Stewart is great as the cold and calculating skinhead leader as well

mr jenzie

Post by mr jenzie » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:39 pm

de palma

about the career of brian de palma
could watch these docu's all day

currently LONE STAR that i recorded TWO YEARS AGO, unfortunately it's 16x9 and it's on TCM next week, but i'll watch it to clear off my sky box

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:32 am

Arrival. Very good. Took me a while to figure out some of the clues though.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:52 am

The Twilight Zone - The Movie - this film is more famous for the helicopter accident which killed Vic Morrow and two children! Based around the old TV series and featuring four different sci fi stories from directors : John Landis, Steven Spielberg, Joe Dante and George Miller. I liked Spielberg's story set in the old people's home the best - even though it was a bit sentimental, and I thought that Dante's one was the most surreal and disturbing. It's an interesting curiosity - I can't see something like this being made nowadays(with the separate stories and different directors for each one).

A Simple Plan - staring the late Bill Paxton, Bridget Fonda, Billy Bob Thornton and Gary Cole. It's also directed by Sam Raimi(he of Evil Dead and Spiderman fame). A trio of blue collar workers discover a crashed plane with four million dollars inside it and decide to keep the money - then the fun begins! Sort of reminded me a little bit of Fargo(the film not the TV series - which I have never liked) - but this is a well executed little thriller with a moral story. Paxton gives a good performance as the "normal Joe" type character, but BIlly Bob Thornton steals the show as his unlucky younger brother. Sort of strange seeing such an old film with the now deceased Paxton(I didn't know he had this film) and also Billy Bob Thornton in it, and directed by Sam Raimi as well. It's still up on Iplayer, if you want to catch it. I think it's a bit of a cult film. Well worth watching.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:34 pm

sscott wrote:Arrival. Very good. Took me a while to figure out some of the clues though.
I quite enjoyed that. The wife sat through it tutting as it was too slow! :roll:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:05 am

Starry Eyes - a struggling actress auditions for a role that isn't what it seems. A well acted homage to 80's horror with a suitably atmospheric look and great synth soundtrack. However I was disappointed with the last act of the film, which abandons the psychological aspects in favour of out and out gore. 6.5/10

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:05 pm

Ida - a novice nun goes to visit her last remaining relative before she takes her vows. Set in Poland before WWII. She discovers some family secrets and goes on a sort of voyage of discovery. Quite a cold film and a difficult one to actually like. Interesting ideas in there, but not all of them worked for me.

mr jenzie

Post by mr jenzie » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:26 pm

ROGUE ONE (a before it's officially released, not a cam version)

and i bought THE FORCE AWAKENS COLLECTORS EDITION today too
did a lot today 8)