What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

markopoloman

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by markopoloman » Fri May 13, 2016 7:26 pm

pratty wrote:Yep, looking forward to the season 2 finale of black sails next week. :) Can't believe it's been ten episodes already, it's flown by
We started watching Black Sails and thought it was awful! :?
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

pratty

Post by pratty » Sat May 14, 2016 5:01 am

Season 1 had it's ups and downs but season 2 has been great.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

dste

Post by dste » Sat May 14, 2016 5:18 am

25mins of Bad Neighbours
10mins of episode one/season two of Kimmy Schmidt.

Just no to both of them.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat May 14, 2016 10:46 am

pratty wrote:Season 1 had it's ups and downs but season 2 has been great.
yes, 2nd season has been more consistent

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun May 15, 2016 5:50 pm

A Million Ways to Die in the West. A slightly blokey romcom, it was alright, nothing special, as these things tend to be. Though I did keep thinking of Brian Griffin constantly.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sun May 15, 2016 6:25 pm

Chalet girl- ok, nothing special, reminded me of so many other 2000s British rom coms.

Also watched the first 10 minutes or so of 'uwantmetokillhim?' Wasn't getting into it though

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon May 16, 2016 9:35 am

The new Thunderbirds episodes from the Kickstarter to do episodes using the audio track from some Thunderbirds LP's from the 60's. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/15 ... s-recordin

Guy in our office is a big Gerry Anderson fan, so I'd pointed him in the direction of the Kickstarter when it first launched, got his DVD at the weekend and arranged a viewing at his house for all the people at the firm with kids of the appropriate age complete with toys to re-enact the scenes in the episode. My lad loved it, and he's now pestering me for a Thunderbird 3 of his own.

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed May 18, 2016 4:21 am

Finished season 2 of Black Sails, a good ending to the season. Glad I stuck with this show. :)
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Wed May 18, 2016 6:46 am

More of Upstart Crow from Ben Elton. Okay, I can't say I found it laugh out loud funny, but there's something strangely endearing to this show - which a lot of Elton's previous works(bar of course Blackadder) didn't have. Anyone else been watching it? It's up on Iplayer.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu May 19, 2016 6:01 pm

American Mary. Some good effects work, even some half decent acting alongside some rank amateur stuff. Alright, but ultimately a let down after a promising start.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

merman

Post by merman » Fri May 20, 2016 2:14 pm

Katzkatz wrote:More of Upstart Crow from Ben Elton. Okay, I can't say I found it laugh out loud funny, but there's something strangely endearing to this show - which a lot of Elton's previous works(bar of course Blackadder) didn't have. Anyone else been watching it? It's up on Iplayer.
Yes, I like it. There's satire aimed at modern times (replacement donkey service, the successful actor who goes overseas and comes back big-headed) and lots of jokes that Shakespeare fans/scholars will like.
David Mitchell is good, but all the cast add something.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri May 20, 2016 2:21 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:A Million Ways to Die in the West. A slightly blokey romcom, it was alright, nothing special, as these things tend to be. Though I did keep thinking of Brian Griffin constantly.
The bit with Doc from BTTF was the funniest part; imho it was about 30 mins too long and kept rehashing the same jokes. Ted in the West, but no-where near as good.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Fri May 20, 2016 3:40 pm

pratty wrote:Finished season 2 of Black Sails, a good ending to the season. Glad I stuck with this show. :)
still a couple behind, got them saved on sky+, will watch this weekend

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Fri May 20, 2016 4:13 pm

Katzkatz wrote:More of Upstart Crow from Ben Elton. Okay, I can't say I found it laugh out loud funny, but there's something strangely endearing to this show - which a lot of Elton's previous works(bar of course Blackadder) didn't have. Anyone else been watching it? It's up on Iplayer.
I quite like it, David Mitchell really carries it, in the same way Rowan Atkinson did with Blackadder & Mark Heap is great in it too.

It would be great if it wasn't for the canned laughter, there's nothing more patronising than being told where you should be laughing, as if you're some sort of imbecile.

....what really gets my goat though...is who the hell thought that it was a good idea to have a character whose every line is a bad impression of Ricky Gervais in the Office... Utterly utterly unnecessary, ruins the programme & is one of the most punchable characters on TV at the minute.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

ALK

Post by ALK » Fri May 20, 2016 6:15 pm

Captain America Civil War- Jolly good superhero stuff (Even if a friend of mine refuses to see it as it drifts so differently from the comic). That airport fight scene delivered with every hero using their super powers and abilities against one another as well as countering them in their own way, this new Spidy is great and even Black Panther was pretty cool.

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm- A.K.A that movie of the Animated Series no one saw at the cinema. Saw a Nostalgia Critic editorial on the film and I was won over by the music alone, so brought it on DVD immediately. Pretty good overall, animation is as good as always even when at the time so many animated films were dipping their toes into CG backgrounds and such (Thought this film only does it for the opening credits), Conroy and Hamill are superb as always, but damn that music is amazing. It's great in the TV series but here they had the budget for a badass choir which makes moments like Bruce putting the Bat mask on for the first time without even showing it, as well as the final rooftop scene 10 times more amazing.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.