Page 842 of 987

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 5:03 pm
by dste
Couple of Pixar films that I've not seen before in the form of Toy Story 3 and Brave.

Bit disappointed with TS3, slow to get going and then just a bit meh. Brave was fairly predictable but enjoyable.

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 5:47 pm
by HalcyonDaze00
latest episode of Gotham, really good episode with the Riddler in exceptional form

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 5:48 pm
by RodimusPrime
HalcyonDaze00 wrote:latest episode of Gotham, really good episode with the Riddler in exceptional form
Just starting to watch that now, have this and last weeks recorded. then need to catch up on Legend of Tomorrow.

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 5:51 pm
by HalcyonDaze00
I like Legends of Tomorrow too, wasn't sure at first but it's got better

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Posted: Wed May 04, 2016 10:14 pm
by Antiriad2097
Robocop, the recent remake.

It's ok at best, nothing like esential viewing, since it's little more than a run of the mill cop movie.

The original has dated a bit but is far more engaging.

None of the characters has any emotional connection with the viewer. Murphy's family have little to offer, with Mrs not doing much or having a particularly strong relationship, while beyond watching some TV his son is distant - there's nothing like the gunplay of the original to show Murphy had spent time and effort bonding. None of the bad guys have a strong character, they're just generic bad guys - there's no Clarence Boddicker here. Lewis became a bit part instead of a driving force.

Robocop isn't robotic, he's just a guy in a suit. In the old one, the way his face was grafted in made it look slightly inhuman, but the new one is a bloke with a helmet and balaclava. The way new Robocop moves further removes any belief, since it's all too smooth and humanoid, no mechanical feel there at all, particularly in combat. Speaking of combat, old Robocop went from being barely human to getting quite emotional. New Robocop does the reverse, starting out overly emotional then shutting down.

The TV show segments. In the old one we had a range of ads and stuff that fleshed out the world a little. The new one has a dull talk show that gives little away and looks cheap.

If there's nothing else to watch it'll kill 2 hours, but it's not worth watching a second time and I wouldn't go out of my way for that first viewing either. Disappointing tbh.

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 2:38 am
by Sel Feena
Civil War, far too long, felt it really dragged at some points. And the whole central question of if registering heroes was a good idea seemed to be addressed really poorly. Stark's for it. Cap's not. FIGHT! I mean I don't know if the comics did more with it, but it seemed like a waste. The airport fight was pretty great though, have to admit.

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:27 am
by theantmeister
Antiriad2097 wrote:Robocop, the recent remake.

It's ok at best, nothing like esential viewing, since it's little more than a run of the mill cop movie.

The original has dated a bit but is far more engaging.

None of the characters has any emotional connection with the viewer. Murphy's family have little to offer, with Mrs not doing much or having a particularly strong relationship, while beyond watching some TV his son is distant - there's nothing like the gunplay of the original to show Murphy had spent time and effort bonding. None of the bad guys have a strong character, they're just generic bad guys - there's no Clarence Boddicker here. Lewis became a bit part instead of a driving force.

Robocop isn't robotic, he's just a guy in a suit. In the old one, the way his face was grafted in made it look slightly inhuman, but the new one is a bloke with a helmet and balaclava. The way new Robocop moves further removes any belief, since it's all too smooth and humanoid, no mechanical feel there at all, particularly in combat. Speaking of combat, old Robocop went from being barely human to getting quite emotional. New Robocop does the reverse, starting out overly emotional then shutting down.

The TV show segments. In the old one we had a range of ads and stuff that fleshed out the world a little. The new one has a dull talk show that gives little away and looks cheap.

If there's nothing else to watch it'll kill 2 hours, but it's not worth watching a second time and I wouldn't go out of my way for that first viewing either. Disappointing tbh.
Absolutely spot on. I didn't even make it to the end.

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:46 am
by learnedrobb
Got myself a copy on Blu Ray of the under rated late 80s comedy The 'Burbs.

And, yup, it is just as darkly satirical as I remember it being.

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:32 pm
by Megamixer
Sel Feena wrote:Civil War, far too long, felt it really dragged at some points. And the whole central question of if registering heroes was a good idea seemed to be addressed really poorly. Stark's for it. Cap's not. FIGHT! I mean I don't know if the comics did more with it, but it seemed like a waste. The airport fight was pretty great though, have to admit.
Yeah, the comics were more in-depth. Since most titles (and that's a lot!) were involved in some way, you got to see why each character chose the side they did, how it affected their life/family/friends/allies etc. Okay, it wasn't super thoughtful or anything but it did make you feel like taking a side yourself or empathising with certain characters.

Personally, all the big crossover events are what put me off modern Marvel so I haven't exactly been chomping at the bit to watch the new Captain America.

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 2:41 pm
by paranoid marvin
theantmeister wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:Robocop, the recent remake.

It's ok at best, nothing like esential viewing, since it's little more than a run of the mill cop movie.

The original has dated a bit but is far more engaging.

None of the characters has any emotional connection with the viewer. Murphy's family have little to offer, with Mrs not doing much or having a particularly strong relationship, while beyond watching some TV his son is distant - there's nothing like the gunplay of the original to show Murphy had spent time and effort bonding. None of the bad guys have a strong character, they're just generic bad guys - there's no Clarence Boddicker here. Lewis became a bit part instead of a driving force.

Robocop isn't robotic, he's just a guy in a suit. In the old one, the way his face was grafted in made it look slightly inhuman, but the new one is a bloke with a helmet and balaclava. The way new Robocop moves further removes any belief, since it's all too smooth and humanoid, no mechanical feel there at all, particularly in combat. Speaking of combat, old Robocop went from being barely human to getting quite emotional. New Robocop does the reverse, starting out overly emotional then shutting down.

The TV show segments. In the old one we had a range of ads and stuff that fleshed out the world a little. The new one has a dull talk show that gives little away and looks cheap.

If there's nothing else to watch it'll kill 2 hours, but it's not worth watching a second time and I wouldn't go out of my way for that first viewing either. Disappointing tbh.
Absolutely spot on. I didn't even make it to the end.

Agree, about from the tv bits which I thought were good. Not as good as in the original, but still good.

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:22 pm
by the_hawk
Yup, yet another pointless remake.

I can remember virtually every line of the original, however I'd pretty much forgotten most of the remake before the final credits even rolled.

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:03 pm
by DPrinny
paranoid marvin wrote:
Agree, about from the tv bits which I thought were good. Not as good as in the original, but still good.
To put it right

Better than 3 and everything after (Both cartoons, TV movies)
Below 2

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:52 pm
by paranoid marvin
DPrinny wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:
Agree, about from the tv bits which I thought were good. Not as good as in the original, but still good.
To put it right

Better than 3 and everything after (Both cartoons, TV movies)
Below 2

Robocop II was a strange one, much darker than the original in many parts (as quite often are 'part 2s') and quite scary in places. Remember watching this when it fiurst came out and being pretty freaked out by Kane and all those failed experiments.

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:53 pm
by paranoid marvin
Watched Ted 2. Silly nonsense, but still funny silly nonsense. Not as good as the original (which is up there with my funniest movies of all time) but still worth watching - and rewatching.

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Posted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:38 pm
by merman
Peaky Blinders is back!
Series 3 kicked off with Thomas Shelby's wedding, but business interrupted the celebrations with a brutal outcome.