What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Shinobi

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by Shinobi » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:32 pm

the_hawk wrote:
the_hawk wrote:Halfway through the Crystal Lake Memories documentary, absolutely loving all the stories & 1st hand accounts of the billion or so Friday 13th films.
On to the last disk now.

Really really good documentary, so many interesting anecdotes. Odd to think that Jason X is so badly thought of, I loved it & think it's pretty must the best of the later Friday 13th films, easily better than part 8 which is by far the worst in the series.

If I had to rank them I'd probably go;

VII, VI, I, IV, X, Freddy Vs Jason, II, Remake, IX, V, III, VIII

Agree with you on both counts, Jason X is great and VIII is by far the worst loads of pointless sex scene's and people you don't give a damn about who all got killed off very quickly... Did they KIll Jason at the end as I can't remember the film was that bad? As Megamixer said obviously an issue with rights for the last two films hence they where just called Jason takes Manhattan and Jason X and a different guy played 'Jason'..

Just curious was V originally an unrelated film with the Friday the 13th moniker stuck on to milk the Franchise.. Tommy the kid who killed Jason in IV is in a half way house whilst really unlikable scrutters are killed by an unseen killer whilst Tommy experiences hallucinations of Jason (in his regular hockey mask) but you don't actually see Jason till the last 10 minutes, when he puts the mask on which is in Tommy's room, goes from room to room quickly killing the kids and quickly gets offed by Pam (the Nurse) when she pushes him out of the loft windows onto the spikes.. When Pam takes Jason's mask off she says "He's not deformed under the mask"!! I wasn't even sure who he was until the cop said he was one of the Ambulance drivers at the beginning and the special needs kid who was killed was his son so he put Jason's mask on to pretend to be him..

The ending with Tommy wearing Jason's mask and I believe stabbing Pam hinted he was going to don the Mask for 6..

So correct me if I'm wrong with the list of Killers

I Mrs Vorhee's
II clu clux clan masked killer possibly Jason or his Mother
III Jason get's his iconic mask isn't killed and no kids survive
IV Jason but Tommy kills him at the end
V The Ambulance driver wearing Jason's Mask..
VI Jason as a un-killable Zombie when his grave gets struck by lightening whilst two grave robbers are robbing it.. No Tommy or any mention of him even though he dreams in V that Jason comes back this way..
VII can't remember much about this one wasn't it on a boat?
VIII so bad I blanked it; wasn't there a special knife that could kill him for good!
Jason takes Manhattan back alive no explanation
X that female robot kills Jason quite early on but that computer rebuilds him as Robotic version
Freddy vs Jason - Freddy comes to Jason in his dream as His mother Freddy as New Nightmare is omitted from the Nightmare on Elm Street box set and not considered canon
Last edited by Shinobi on Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:30 pm

The Fallen Idol - directed by Carol Reed and from a short story by Graham Greene, and starring Ralph Richardson. It was one of Reed's films that I hadn't seen. It's the tale of a small boy who apparently witnesses a murder. It's quite dated. It's okay - but it is one of Reed's weakest films - it's not on par with Odd Man Out and The Third Man.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:45 am

Shinobi wrote: VII can't remember much about this one wasn't it on a boat?
VIII so bad I blanked it; wasn't there a special knife that could kill him for good!
VII - has a girl with psychic powers. She wishes for her deceased father to return but her psychic power instead breaks the chain holding Jason's body on the lakebed (he was drowned with a boulder on the end of a chain at the end of VI). At the end, the ghost/spirit of the girl's father returns and drags Jason back down to the lakebed where he is once again chained up.

VIII - is the one with the boat. Initially, a houseboat on the lake snags some electricity cables which electrocute Jason's body and resurrects him. Afterwards, Jason boards another, bigger boat for a graduation party (or something) and he kills people on board before the boat ends up sinking and the survivors row to Manhattan in a lifeboat with Jason secretly following. He is killed down in the sewers when they flood with toxic waste at midnight (makes no sense!).

IX - No explanation as to how Jason survived. He get's blown to pieces at the start in an FBI trap and his remains go to a morgue where his spirit possesses the coroner and allows him to escape inside his body and start killing people again. There is a mystical dagger in this one that can kill him for good. He gets stabbed with it at the end and all the souls of those he killed are released. Jason's body is dragged down to hell by hands coming up from underground. It's at the end of this one where you see Freddy's glove come up out of the ground, setting the scene for the Vs film which took a long time to actually be released.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:14 pm

Megamixer wrote:
VII - has a girl with psychic powers. She wishes for her deceased father to return but her psychic power instead breaks the chain holding Jason's body on the lakebed (he was drowned with a boulder on the end of a chain at the end of VI). At the end, the ghost/spirit of the girl's father returns and drags Jason back down to the lakebed where he is once again chained up.

VIII - is the one with the boat. Initially, a houseboat on the lake snags some electricity cables which electrocute Jason's body and resurrects him. Afterwards, Jason boards another, bigger boat for a graduation party (or something) and he kills people on board before the boat ends up sinking and the survivors row to Manhattan in a lifeboat with Jason secretly following. He is killed down in the sewers when they flood with toxic waste at midnight (makes no sense!).

IX - No explanation as to how Jason survived. He get's blown to pieces at the start in an FBI trap and his remains go to a morgue where his spirit possesses the coroner and allows him to escape inside his body and start killing people again. There is a mystical dagger in this one that can kill him for good. He gets stabbed with it at the end and all the souls of those he killed are released. Jason's body is dragged down to hell by hands coming up from underground. It's at the end of this one where you see Freddy's glove come up out of the ground, setting the scene for the Vs film which took a long time to actually be released.
Thanks Rich so apart from XI there is actually some continuity to the story with it explaining how Jason was brought back? VII sounds familiar but I can't remember much about that for some reason.. Wasn't it Halloween where the Killer wore a William Shatner mask painted white, as I may be confusing this film with one of the Jason films.. I hate how IX changes the rules as Jason's is a normal man just strong as he's freakishly tall and wears a cool mask.. Then on XI he goes from a masked psycho to a demon with his brain outside his head and his mask seemingly in bedded into his brain who rises up from from hell like 'Julian Sands' in Warlock the Armageddon.. Surely every time he's killed he should be able to transfer his conscious into another body, or maybe if the Mask was keeping him alive rather then discarding every previous Friday the 13th saying he just a demon who's been alive for century's ..

I always classed the Freddy vs Jason crossover as some money grabbing exercise which wasn't canon same as the other crossovers like Doll Master vs Demonic Toys or Krusty/Pennywise vs Killjoy, Chucky vs Leprechaun if these films where ever released...

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:41 pm

Shinobi wrote:
Megamixer wrote:

Thanks Rich so apart from XI there is actually some continuity to the story with it explaining how Jason was brought back? VII sounds familiar but I can't remember much about that for some reason.. Wasn't it Halloween where the Killer wore a William Shatner mask painted white, as I may be confusing this film with one of the Jason films.. I hate how IX changes the rules as Jason's is a normal man just strong as he's freakishly tall and wears a cool mask.. Then on XI he goes from a masked psycho to a demon with his brain outside his head and his mask seemingly in bedded into his brain who rises up from from hell like 'Julian Sands' in Warlock the Armageddon.. Surely every time he's killed he should be able to transfer his conscious into another body, or maybe if the Mask was keeping him alive rather then discarding every previous Friday the 13th saying he just a demon who's been alive for century's ..

I always classed the Freddy vs Jason crossover as some money grabbing exercise which wasn't canon same as the other crossovers like Doll Master vs Demonic Toys or Krusty/Pennywise vs Killjoy, Chucky vs Leprechaun if these films where ever released...
Halloween is the film with the white-masked killer (Michael Myers) - yet another series were too many sequels/remakes and an insane storyline.

I've no idea why IX doesn't even explain how Jason returned from his pretty conclusive death in VIII but perhaps it has something to do with what the_hawk said earlier (about New Line Cinema not being able to use the Friday the 13th title in the film due to only having rights to the character)...maybe New Line wasn't allowed to reference or continue on from the previous film(s)? I don't know. You could say that these films make no sense anyway but 1-8 do at least provide/show explanations as to how Jason keeps coming back. There's a ridiculous continuinity there but at least there was a continuinity.

Saying that, there is also no explanation as to how Jason is still in one piece at the beginning of Jason X. He got dragged down to hell at the end of IX after all.

I do actually like the VS film as it does stay true to the individual franchises and it gave Robert Englund one final run-out as Freddy which was enjoyable.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:58 am

Super 8 by J.J. Abrams, pretty good but probably worth watching once but it's not something I'd personally watch again. The begining is good and I felt I was getting something realitively unique but the last quarter or so seemed just like most movies in the genre, the end credits made the end a bit more satisfying though.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:01 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Halloween is the film with the white-masked killer (Michael Myers) - yet another series were too many sequels/remakes and an insane storyline.

I've no idea why IX doesn't even explain how Jason returned from his pretty conclusive death in VIII but perhaps it has something to do with what the_hawk said earlier (about New Line Cinema not being able to use the Friday the 13th title in the film due to only having rights to the character)...maybe New Line wasn't allowed to reference or continue on from the previous film(s)? I don't know. You could say that these films make no sense anyway but 1-8 do at least provide/show explanations as to how Jason keeps coming back. There's a ridiculous continuinity there but at least there was a continuinity.

Saying that, there is also no explanation as to how Jason is still in one piece at the beginning of Jason X. He got dragged down to hell at the end of IX after all.

I do actually like the VS film as it does stay true to the individual franchises and it gave Robert Englund one final run-out as Freddy which was enjoyable.
I have no problem with 1 to VIII because its as you say there is continuity and it does explain how Jason managed to come back.. Friday the 13th I to V where all grounded in reality in that respect as in they could really happen VI onwards more fantastical ,still plausible as a freak accident brings Jason back from the dead.. My problem with IX is Jason looks like a Cynabyte(Hellraiser) all his previous history with Camp Crystal Lake is just forgotten and the army is after him for some reason... Jason used his brain to kill people getting them alone and picking them off one by one, also sadistic letting the black kid was punching and it was knocking Jason off balance.. When he has Jason against the rooftop he was hitting Jason and Jason was laughing before decapitating him in one hit.. He had his reason for killing people the girl on II who wasn't into sex he just walked past her and ignored her but did kill other kids he caught drinking or having sex due to his mother..

On IX it just discards all his back story he just happens to be a zombie from Hell intent on genocide..

David

Post by David » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:42 pm

Been watching that 11.22.63

It's pretty good

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:35 am

David wrote:Been watching that 11.22.63

It's pretty good
It is! Surprisingly so for a TV show based on King's work.

Honestly, after Haven and Under the Dome I'd almost given up hope...

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun May 01, 2016 11:18 am

Now on Season 5 off Adventure Time and quite possibly one of the funniest programs I've saw definetly not for kids unfortunately the version shown on Cartoon Network at 11pm has fallen foul to censorship. Strangely Scenes such as somebody setting his bed on fire as he's scared off the dark and his house burning down, and Peppermint Butler punching Princess Bubblegum in the face.. But it's okay to show Finn banging a couple of baby's together..

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Sun May 01, 2016 11:20 am

Watched something totally unknown to myself on youtube. Driv3rgate. Publishers dishonesty for a games release...guru larry is totally addictive too.

https://youtu.be/PgOnyIt9_ic

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun May 01, 2016 5:25 pm

Fargo season 2. Halfway in and it's way better than the excellent season 1. Better still, it's an independent story, so anyone can jump into season 2 without having seen the prior one, it's not connected. Why aren't people raving about this, it's always 'Breaking Bad' that crops up but this kicks its butt.

Best TV I've watched in years.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

pratty

Post by pratty » Mon May 02, 2016 3:35 am

Yeah it's great, I've nagged all my friends to watch it. Funnily enough I mentioned it a friend last week, he said he'd seen the first season but not the second because he had heard it had done a True Detective, I put him right.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Mon May 02, 2016 11:02 am

Fear the Walking Dead Season one - not bad and will watch and see where it goes. I like that its different and set in a different place and time scale. I reckon they should try different countries too , see how it pans out.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon May 02, 2016 11:24 am

shiftytigger wrote:Fear the Walking Dead Season one - not bad and will watch and see where it goes. I like that its different and set in a different place and time scale. I reckon they should try different countries too , see how it pans out.
Yeah... Shaun of the Walking Dead... :lol:

On another zombie related bit of news - Zombieland 2 has had the go ahead :D
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/