What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

jdanddiet

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by jdanddiet » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:10 am

Watched Silent Hill revelation last night.
Very disappointing. Lots of 'hey this is for you guys watching in 3D moments' that made it feel more like an amusement ride than film. Shitty script that dodged between incomprehensible and stupid, terrible Sean bean accent, limp female lead (SCREAM! FAINT!) and gory horror scenes that were done better in hellraiser 20 odd years ago. Perhaps they should have hired Uwe Boll :lol:
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:01 am

More of Better Call Saul (season 2). From what I have seen so far of this season, it isn't as good as the first one. I think that Jimmy's story will have to progress to some sort of face-off with his brother Chuck.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:42 am

Katzkatz wrote:More of Better Call Saul (season 2). From what I have seen so far of this season, it isn't as good as the first one. I think that Jimmy's story will have to progress to some sort of face-off with his brother Chuck.
You may be right :wink:

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:36 pm

The Force Unleashed. Didn't get to see it at the cinema, but watched the Blu Ray on Monday having successfully avoided all spoilers. Really enjoyed it overall, felt like a logical extension to the franchise and real environments instead of green screen made it seem more believable.ALso got the balance right between referencing what had gone before and bringing in new elements. Not ashamed to admit I marked out when Hand and Chewie appeared again, or the X-Wings flying low over the water.

One minor gripe was the Finn seemed to change his allegiance too quickly. I could understand if he was conscripted or press ganged, but they say he had been conditioned from birth? But still a great film overall

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:40 pm

Force Awakens - just as enjoyable as when I saw it at the cinema, perhaps even a little more so this second time around. Really looking forward to the next film(s) now.

Hummingbird - Decent Jason Statham film. Can't go wrong really.

Oblivion - A lot better than I thought it would be. The plot and twists/revelations later on were quite good.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:53 am

Megamixer wrote:
Yeah, that's quite an unusual film. Statham does get to show off some acting in that one. It's sort of under the radar. In the US, it's called Redemption. I don't think it has been shown on UK TV yet.

Anyway, I finished off the second season of Better Call Saul. Here's what I think will happen in season 3 - SPOILERS Mike will meet Gus. Although this is a slightly different beast from Breaking Bad(I sort of see it as more of a black comedy drama) - I do think it's going to have to have sort of kick into gear for the third season(probably with Jimmy and Chuck fighting one another). The second season was okay, but I was expecting more from it.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:39 pm

Katzkatz wrote:
Megamixer wrote:
Yeah, that's quite an unusual film. Statham does get to show off some acting in that one. It's sort of under the radar. In the US, it's called Redemption. I don't think it has been shown on UK TV yet.
It definitely has because I watched it on TV :)

Think it was on 4 Movies or whatever it's called.

Finished off the last of the original animated Mr Bean series. Loved the last episode which has a sort-of tie-in/nod to the opening of the original live-action episodes. Pleasantly surprised to see that a new series was commisioned and is already filtering through to DVD.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:20 am

Megamixer wrote:
Katzkatz wrote:
Megamixer wrote:
It definitely has because I watched it on TV :)

Think it was on 4 Movies or whatever it's called.
Movies4Men? Is that the channel that you mean? I should re-watch that film - I'd definitely recommend it.

Anyway, last night I finished off more of Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle. Still very funny, but perhaps not to people who don't understand the jokes - what with Lee's unique style.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:29 am

I am a massive fan but thought the quality has dipped a little this series. He pushed some jokes a little too far I think.

merman

Post by merman » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:51 am

Been watching the DVDs of Operation Good Guys.

A brilliant spoof documentary following an "elite" police unit...but things often go wrong.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

pratty

Post by pratty » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:08 pm

First two episodes of the new season of Jack Irish with Guy Pearce. I'd seen the first two TV movies, and enjoyed them, so was happy to hear there was a longer series. So far it's the same good stuff, a good mix of mystery, danger and humour.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:29 pm

Katzkatz wrote:Movies4Men? Is that the channel that you mean? I should re-watch that film - I'd definitely recommend it.
No...does Channel 4 have a movies channel? I think it was that or Channel 5's movie channel.

Definitely not Movies4Men...that and Movie Mix have some of the worst, low budget/straight to DVD type of films around with the occasional exception.

dste

Post by dste » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:34 pm

Hummingbird is also on Netflix. We were going to watch it last night but watched another Stath film Safe instead which was pretty decent.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:34 pm

Katzkatz wrote:Statham does get to show off some acting in that one.
Sorry Katz, run that one by me again?
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:33 pm

jdanddiet wrote:
Katzkatz wrote:Statham does get to show off some acting in that one.
Sorry Katz, run that one by me again?
He's quite good and acty (not even a word, I know) in Revolver too. Shame I had no clue what the hell was going for the most part. Need to watch it again.