What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

sscott

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by sscott » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:42 am

Katzkatz wrote:
the_hawk wrote:Watched the pilot of Sons of Anarchy last night, I don't really get what the fuss is about. If it's one of those, "it gets better the more you watch it" ones I can't really be arsed sticking with it.
First two seasons are really good. The third season is okay, but after that I must admit that is quite a big drop off in quality.

Anyway, last night it was more Studio Ghibli time, starting with My Neighbor Totoro. Two girls and their father move to the countryside, to look after their sick mother. There they encounter a mysterious forest creature called Totoro. This one is really quirky - I really liked the SPOILERS Catbus. It's more aimed at younger children, but there is still some serious stuff in there.

Then it was on to Tales from the Earthsea. This is more a sort of hero's quest type storyline, with wizards, princesses and an evil enemy. It was okay, but not one of their better ones. Although, it did have Mr. Bond(or former Mr. Bond) Timothy Dalton voicing the wise wizard.

Then I watched Whisper of the Heart. A sort of coming of age tale from Studio Ghibli. It's about a bookish young girl and her relationship with a boy who checks out the library book she borrows. I enjoyed this one quite a lot. It wasn't dubbed as well - must be one of the few that hasn't got an English language dub yet.
My neighbour Totoro is outstanding, great music too, me and the kids have watched it several times!

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:01 pm

sscott wrote:Season 6 of the Walking Dead, strong start with a few shocks and a few thoughtful moments.
Lots to ponder,lots of people moaning at slow episodes. I like the random pace,no time to rest on your laurels.

Also notice the removal of a certain name from opening credits, done on purpose of course to keep people talking about it. That storyline is certainly a topic and a half.

Never in history has so much pressure been felt by one dumpster.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:52 pm

Shaun of the Dead - quite simply the best horror comedy ever made. So much care and detail in every scene, and I could never get bored of watching it.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:51 am

More Studio Ghibli :-

Laptuna : Castle in the Sky - A young boy and a girl with a magic crystal must race against pirates and foreign agents in a search for a legendary floating castle. Not one of the better ones, in my opinion.

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Winds - A young princess tries to stop two warring factions on a desolate world. It reminded me a lot of Dune. It's based on a Japanese comic book. Has Patrick Stewart in the English dubbed version.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:34 am

Katzkatz wrote:
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Winds - A young princess tries to stop two warring factions on a desolate world. It reminded me a lot of Dune. It's based on a Japanese comic book. Has Patrick Stewart in the English dubbed version.
Now that you have seen that

Try the US cut of it called "Warriors of the wind", it really misses the point

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:33 am

DPrinny wrote:
Katzkatz wrote:
Now that you have seen that

Try the US cut of it called "Warriors of the wind", it really misses the point
Okay dokey, Dprinny.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:38 am

Bedrooms to Billions is now on Netflix! Watched it last night, while it weighs in at 2 and a half hours I really enjoyed it. Nice to see how many of those people I have met in person!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:21 pm

A cartoon series called "We bear bears"
Wasnt really funny, but good background viewing while im to bloody ill to focus

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:13 pm

Insidious 3.

Quite enjoyed it right up to the end and it turned sh*te. Grrrr
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

dste

Post by dste » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:16 pm

Community season four - bad
Community season five - better
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:32 pm

sscott wrote:
Katzkatz wrote: Anyway, last night it was more Studio Ghibli time, starting with My Neighbor Totoro. Two girls and their father move to the countryside, to look after their sick mother. There they encounter a mysterious forest creature called Totoro. This one is really quirky - I really liked the SPOILERS Catbus. It's more aimed at younger children, but there is still some serious stuff in

Then I watched Whisper of the Heart. A sort of coming of age tale from Studio Ghibli. It's about a bookish young girl and her relationship with a boy who checks out the library book she borrows. I enjoyed this one quite a lot. It wasn't dubbed as well - must be one of the few that hasn't got an English language dub yet.
My neighbour Totoro is outstanding, great music too, me and the kids have watched it several times!
Sure is, but not an easy or cheap soundtrack to get hold of (cd wise!). I bought the French version, but it's only th cover that's different. One of my kids all time favourites, and in truth, one of mine.
Also, my bluray copy of Whisper of the Heart is English dubbed, otherwise the kids probably wouldn't have sat through it... :D

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:08 pm

The Zero Theorem - the latest film from Terry Gilliam. It's weird with a capital "W". Like other Gilliam films, the set designer has gone into overdrive. It stars Christop Waltz as a lonely computer programmer trying to solve "The Zero Theorem". Not one of Gilliams best works - but it has its moments.

Yesterday, I did a cinema trip to see The Lobster. A sort of sci-fi tale, set in a dystopian future, where couples have to find a mate in 45 days or get turned into an animal. Yeah - it's not a mainstream movie, but it does star Colin Farrell, Rachel Weisz and Léa Seydoux. It's got a similar atmosphere to something like Under the Skin.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:11 pm

This weeks South Park

Adds taking over?
Becoming intelligent?
I think they are on to something

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:15 am

Some classic Clint Eastwood - The Eiger Sanction. What's not to like? It's before the current PC times(he mentions Custer to a Native American Indian, a rape joke, a gay villain with a dog called "Faggot" and an albino human!). Good climbing scenes and cinematography. The storyline is interesting - as thrillers go. It's not top grade Clint, but it has its moments.

Mancman

Post by Mancman » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:37 am

We Need To Talk About Kevin

Not a cheerful film but I've not stopped thinking about it since I watched it last night.