What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

gman72

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by gman72 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:30 am

Antiriad2097 wrote: The least frightening monster since Pete's Dragon.
Terrified me as a kid :lol:
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:46 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Unless you have a motorhome. In which case you just flit between two locations from week to week, knowing its days away.

Or buy a holiday home abroad and live there for a few weeks/months at a time. It's a long walk. There was no indication it ever went at more than a snail's pace.

The least frightening monster since Pete's Dragon.

It doesn't always walk though, it just teleports closer. Only means of escape is to pass it on to someone else, then hope they pass it on again before it kills them otherwise it will just come after you again.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:19 pm

Terminator Genisys and to be honest I'm still not sure exactly what I just watched! I think I enjoyed it but the film was definitely an overblown mess with too much happening. It certainly didn't need to be made at all.

On the positive side, it was good to have Arnie back in action again and Emilia Clarke is absolutely gorgeous (I should really get on with watching Game of Thrones I think!).
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:20 pm

Negative Creep wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:Unless you have a motorhome. In which case you just flit between two locations from week to week, knowing its days away.

Or buy a holiday home abroad and live there for a few weeks/months at a time. It's a long walk. There was no indication it ever went at more than a snail's pace.

The least frightening monster since Pete's Dragon.

It doesn't always walk though, it just teleports closer. Only means of escape is to pass it on to someone else, then hope they pass it on again before it kills them otherwise it will just come after you again.
Why not just pay for a hooker. job done.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:42 am

I re-watched Looper. I enjoyed it more the second time around. It's good but not great - and sort of in the shadows of something like 12 Monkeys.

I then watched more of Studio Ghibli, this time it was Porco Rosso. The tale of an Italian WWI pilot who has turned into a pig, and now has to fight air pirates in the south of Italy. It's quirky for sure. I did enjoy it though.

-Si-Mon753

Post by -Si-Mon753 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:54 am

Just watched Planet Terror (Robert Rodriguez film with Tarantino, Bruce Willis, Rose McGowan, Josh Brolin...), still an awesome Grindhouse film with retro style !

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:42 am

Episode 2 of Ash vs Evil Dead. Again really good, love the retro sounding music at the start/end. Love the over the top blood effects, some of the jokes/look of the zombies is a throwback to of course the original films.

Really impressed so far, hope it continues

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:41 am

Watched the first episode of Supergirl last night. Not half as bad as I expected. It doesn't take itself seriously so is a nice frothy family superhero show. Arrow/Flash bored me after a bit with all their seriousness, but this one has secret agencies fighting aliens and stuff, it was all rather good fun.

Some odd casting/writing choices though. Supergirl doesn't look especially super. Jimmy Olsen seems to have grown up a lot and got over his naive, rather inept, Daily Planet phase in particular, having been written nothing at all like the comics, TV or movies that preceded this show. On the other hand, some of the villains looked excellent and Supergirl's adoptive sister is rather tasty. She's not shy with her identity here either, within the one episode she's told loads of people.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:46 pm

Season 6 of the Walking Dead, strong start with a few shocks and a few thoughtful moments.

stvd

Post by stvd » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:07 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
Why not just pay for a hooker. job done.
Once it kills the hooker it reverts back to following you.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:39 pm

Watched the pilot of Sons of Anarchy last night, I don't really get what the fuss is about. If it's one of those, "it gets better the more you watch it" ones I can't really be arsed sticking with it.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:43 pm

Stop At Nothing - The Lance Armstrong Story on BBC I-Player, would have liked to have seen more about the fall out after his admission but still a good watch. Makes you wonder what other household names from all kinds of sports have a similar skeleton on their closet.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:11 pm

A film called
Cyber C.H.I.C.K
90s pap, flawed to high hell, but not awful

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:07 am

First episode of Ash vs Evil Dead. Not as good as I expected, slow in places and without much laughs. It did get better towards the end, so hopefully its just setup for good to come. Lucy Lawless was barely in this one.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:10 am

the_hawk wrote:Watched the pilot of Sons of Anarchy last night, I don't really get what the fuss is about. If it's one of those, "it gets better the more you watch it" ones I can't really be arsed sticking with it.
First two seasons are really good. The third season is okay, but after that I must admit that is quite a big drop off in quality.

Anyway, last night it was more Studio Ghibli time, starting with My Neighbor Totoro. Two girls and their father move to the countryside, to look after their sick mother. There they encounter a mysterious forest creature called Totoro. This one is really quirky - I really liked the SPOILERS Catbus. It's more aimed at younger children, but there is still some serious stuff in there.

Then it was on to Tales from the Earthsea. This is more a sort of hero's quest type storyline, with wizards, princesses and an evil enemy. It was okay, but not one of their better ones. Although, it did have Mr. Bond(or former Mr. Bond) Timothy Dalton voicing the wise wizard.

Then I watched Whisper of the Heart. A sort of coming of age tale from Studio Ghibli. It's about a bookish young girl and her relationship with a boy who checks out the library book she borrows. I enjoyed this one quite a lot. It wasn't dubbed as well - must be one of the few that hasn't got an English language dub yet.