What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

gman72

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by gman72 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:06 am

I saw Spectre at the flicks.
Overall it was a decent spy/espionage action movie but probably the weakest of Craig's entries in to the series. The 1st half hour was the best. Also neither Cristoph Waltz or the very gorgeous Monica Bellucci were in the film enough for my liking.

I enjoyed Mad Max too being a huge fan of the yummy Charlize Theron but was slightly put off by her being the central character rather than Max himself.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Timothy Redux

Post by Timothy Redux » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:11 am

gman72 wrote:I saw Spectre at the flicks.
Overall it was a decent spy/espionage action movie but probably the weakest of Craig's entries in to the series. The 1st half hour was the best. Also neither Cristoph Waltz or the very gorgeous Monica Bellucci were in the film enough for my liking.

I enjoyed Mad Max too being a huge fan of the yummy Charlize Theron but was slightly put off by her being the central character rather than Max himself.
Yer, Waltz was given maybe 18-20 lines? bizarre

Bellucci would have been much better as the main Bond girl here rather than..err..whoever that other lady was
The Artist Formerly Known as Timothy Lumsden...

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:45 pm

Timothy Redux wrote:

Bellucci would have been much better as the main Bond girl here rather than..err..whoever that other lady was
Bellucci's part in the movie felt like a poorly implanted multi-player component from the early 2000s. Very last minute and tacked on for the sake of it. Shame as she's a better actor than the main Bond girl and far, far easier on the eye.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

dste

Post by dste » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:36 pm

Chuck season five.

All over now. :(

Last episode was fab though.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:47 pm

Watching this Cursed edge Dredd fan made series on Youtube

Its ok, the action and hand to hand bits could do with a bit more wallop

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:05 am

Timothy Redux wrote:

The other girl was Léa Seydoux. She's in Inglorious B@stards and Mission Impossible : Ghost Protocol. I actually thought she was one of the few actresses who did get to act in a Bond film.

I do agree, it's ironic, Waltz and Belluci are superb actors - and yet, they were wasted in this film.

Last night, I watched The Woman in Black with Daniel Radcliffe. I had seen the old version which was on ITV many years ago, for GCSE English. This version is quite different. Okay, but I think I preferred the ITV version.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:11 am

Jurassic Park 3D - An absolutely incredible conversion! The sense of depth is really powerful, with moments where Velociraptors leap through the screen, the T-Rex menacingly peeks through the screen, the stampede, the spitting dino...it was really fun!

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:17 am

Last night, I watched a few Studio Ghibli films. First up was Princess Monoroke. It's about a young boy who gets involved in a war between the forest gods and a mining colony in rural Japan. Very Japanese in style - as you would expect from Studio Ghibli. The first half wasn't that interesting, but the second half really picked up speed.

Then I watched Kiki's Delivery Service. A tale about a young witch who has to spend a year away from home. I think it's aimed more at young children, but it was pretty good and enchanting in places.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:02 am

The Beans wrote:
markopoloman wrote:
theantmeister wrote:This week's Doctor Who - wow, that was subtle :lol:

Nice touch finishing on a shot of an RPG about to hit a passenger plane. I'm sure that won't upset anyone :roll:

They launched a Roll Playing Game at a passenger plane?! Does it do the same thing as a flock of birds? :lol:
No, no, no! I'm not having it.
"Roll Playing Game", it's just not on. It's worse than "loose" instead of "lose". Red card MPM. RED CARD!
:lol:

Watched part two today. Great ending. Overall I'd say the allegory was a little heavy handed, but fun to watch nonetheless.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:31 am

Saw 'Pan' with the kids at the cinema this morning, utter sh1te! My wife told a parent and her kids two rows back for their appalling behaviour, to applause from the audience! Go on!!!

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:10 pm

It Follows - a horror film about some sort of entity that is passed on through sex and relentlessly pursues you until you pass on the curse or it kills you. Brilliantly creepy with a sort of surreal dreamlike atmosphere not set in any particular time period. Highly recommended if you're sick of the usual cgi jump scare 12A horror films.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:14 pm

I'd recommend it. As one to avoid. Not remotely scary, lacking anything in the way of atmosphere or tension, surprised at how popular it is. Bored us, only decent bit is the initial rapey bit that is over very quickly.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:08 am

Guess that just shows how objective horror is. I don't get scared easily but loved this one, not just in execution but concept. The idea of something relentlessly following you and never being truly safe is a pretty unnerving one

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:20 am

Negative Creep wrote:Guess that just shows how objective horror is. I don't get scared easily but loved this one, not just in execution but concept. The idea of something relentlessly following you and never being truly safe is a pretty unnerving one
Myself and Antiriad had this convo a few weeks ago also. I'm in your camp. Enjoyed it and found it suitably spooky, Antiriad is a tougher nut to crack. I want to know what scares him but he flatly refuses to say.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:23 am

Unless you have a motorhome. In which case you just flit between two locations from week to week, knowing its days away.

Or buy a holiday home abroad and live there for a few weeks/months at a time. It's a long walk. There was no indication it ever went at more than a snail's pace.

The least frightening monster since Pete's Dragon.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.