What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

HalcyonDaze00

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:43 am

more true detective, started off slowly but really picked up the last couple of episodes, season finale tonight, should be good

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:48 am

Watched a film on itunes - White Settlers

British horror film, not too bad, could have been better but had a few jumpy moments. A couple from England buy an old stone cottage in Scotland, watchable

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:08 am

Grudge Match - Was a decent enough movie, threw in enough characters to make things interesting, neither actor is likely to add to their oscars with it though.

Bad Karma - Ray Liotta and Dominic Purcell in an Aussie made movie I'd never heard of before. Enjoyable enough if you've got nothing going on, when you're working nightshift offshore and someone sticks it on, you'll likely not complain.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:15 am

leefishuk wrote:Good heavens The Wire just gets better and better
Until it gets to seasons 4 and 5. Season 5 is ridiculous.

The first three are awesome though.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:18 am

Watched the two series of Early doors on dvd.What a great show that was.Was maybe a bit overshadowed at the time by The royale family, max n paddy, Phoenix nights the office etc .
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:28 am

Megamixer wrote:Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome. Easily the weakest of the three. I was falling asleep at points and I reckon I could easily just re-watch the first two in the future without ever having to see this one again.
You mean of the four lol

I like Thunderdome! Cheesy but entertaining. Max might just be my favourite film series.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:39 am

Loved 1 and 2 as they were 'cheap and raw'. 3 i never liked much as it was way too much 'Hollywood'

Think 4 was a great return to form, hopefully there'll be another one. 3 is watchable but the weakest out of all of them in my view

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:47 pm

Tekken 2

Urgh, this has NOTHING to do with the game appart from names, it was ok as a none branded film

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:27 pm

greenberet79 wrote:
Megamixer wrote:Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome. Easily the weakest of the three. I was falling asleep at points and I reckon I could easily just re-watch the first two in the future without ever having to see this one again.
You mean of the four lol

I like Thunderdome! Cheesy but entertaining. Max might just be my favourite film series.
I forget about remakes and reboots...

Thunderdome needed more vehicular action. All the bits with the tribes just bored me and I missed the 'raw' feel of the first two that psj mentioned.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:33 pm

Ant Man- More humor then I was expecting but think I enjoyed it more then age of Ultron, and I did enjoy that too.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:45 pm

Megamixer wrote:
greenberet79 wrote:
You mean of the four lol

I forget about remakes and reboots...

Thunderdome needed more vehicular action. All the bits with the tribes just bored me and I missed the 'raw' feel of the first two that psj mentioned.
Is it really a remake/reboot if it's the same director though? I love all four of them, but Thunderdome's definitely my favourite. Probably because I used to watch it nearly every day when I was tiny. Had a crush on Aunt Entity as well :lol:

Today I watched the 1976 version of King Kong. Obviously not as good as the 1933 original, but miles better than the 2005 one. Jessica Lange is stunning in this one! Lots of people are shown getting squished whilst Kong's walking around as well, fun little touch there.

Carried on the "Jeff Daniels" theme with Timescape (1992) after that... Interesting film that one, worth seeing. Time travel and all that, it's on YouTube.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:08 pm

The Amazing Spiderman 2 - really enjoyed it! The ending was quite sad but it's good that they sort-of did what the comics did with Gwen Stacey. Bit p*ssed off though about a Sinister Six plot being teased for a sequel then finding out (via Wikipedia) that the proposed sequels have been canned :roll: . Oh right, must be another reboot in the near future? Ugh...I would have loved to see some more of this Spiderman series as well.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:06 am

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:more true detective, started off slowly but really picked up the last couple of episodes, season finale tonight, should be good
So what did you think of it? I watched it last night and, well, it felt a little rushed to me. I guess season three will be a completely different set of characters again.

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:32 am

Megamixer wrote:The Amazing Spiderman 2 - really enjoyed it! The ending was quite sad but it's good that they sort-of did what the comics did with Gwen Stacey. Bit p*ssed off though about a Sinister Six plot being teased for a sequel then finding out (via Wikipedia) that the proposed sequels have been canned :roll: . Oh right, must be another reboot in the near future? Ugh...I would have loved to see some more of this Spiderman series as well.
I never saw the second Amazing Spidey but it got panned and wasn't as successful as they hoped, so they canned the sequels and spin offs and are now sharing the character with Marvel Studios. He's going to show up in Captain America Civil War next year and have a solo movie after that. Luckily they aren't going to make it an origin story again, as no one wants to sit through that again!
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:57 am

flying_delorean81 wrote:
Megamixer wrote:The Amazing Spiderman 2 - really enjoyed it! The ending was quite sad but it's good that they sort-of did what the comics did with Gwen Stacey. Bit p*ssed off though about a Sinister Six plot being teased for a sequel then finding out (via Wikipedia) that the proposed sequels have been canned :roll: . Oh right, must be another reboot in the near future? Ugh...I would have loved to see some more of this Spiderman series as well.
I never saw the second Amazing Spidey but it got panned and wasn't as successful as they hoped, so they canned the sequels and spin offs and are now sharing the character with Marvel Studios. He's going to show up in Captain America Civil War next year and have a solo movie after that. Luckily they aren't going to make it an origin story again, as no one wants to sit through that again!
They need to just continue from ASM2 with a different actor. Okay, it will be a bit weird but a Sinister Six plot would be awesome. They need to finally do Venom justice too and possibly squeeze Carnage in but a symbiote plot really needs its own film (not like in Spiderman 3 where they just rammed Venom in at the end and you barely saw him!).

Can't say I'm a big fan of these crossover things tbh. When it comes to Marvel, I'm very much a 90's and earlier guy. The Civil War/Secret Invasion 'events' in the comics were fun to read but I didn't enjoy them that much and stopped having an interest in Marvel afterwards with a few exceptions. The 'Brand New Day' storyline in Amazing Spiderman gave it a bit of a retro 70's/80's feel and I appreciated that.