What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

leefishuk

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by leefishuk » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:11 am

Jurassic World - incredible.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:09 am

The Outcast on BBC1. Usually I'd laugh at the idea of watchin a 1950's period drama but I accidentally ended up watching part 1 last week and found myself needing to see what happened in Part 2. Never thought I'd say this, but it was really good!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:32 am

I'm liking Humans on Channel 4.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:00 am

Yes, Humans has been surprisingly good. One or two flakey performances (I'm looking at you Mr Copper), but otherwise it's very well done, quite believable for the most part, with enough intriguing elements each episode to keep you hanging on for the next one to see where things go.

I feared it would be a low budget cash in on the recent spate of AI movies, just following a trend with nothing new to offer, but so far it's been better than most of them.

That a significant portion of this focuses on the familial impact makes it all the more surprising that it works. I'm sure if it had been an American show it would have dealt with it in a schmaltzy manner, but nothing here really seems out of place or overdone.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

dste

Post by dste » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:29 pm

djcarlos wrote:Recently caught the 30 Rock bug too, about halfway through the 3rd series. And yes, Alec Baldwin is very funny indeed, he's nailed that part. Love it!
sscott wrote:Been watching lots of 30Rock, very light entertainment but a nice break from all the more serious shows I've been watching. Alec Baldwin is also amazing in it!
I presume that you have both seen one of favourite bits which is:

Liz Lemon: Why are you wearing a tux?
Jack: It's after 6 o'clock Lemon. What am I, a farmer

I still laugh at that now.

We watched an episode of season six last night which had us both in hysterics, not going to give anything away. :D
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

ALK

Post by ALK » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:06 pm

Saw both the new Terminator and Jurassic World movies in 1 day since there's 5 movies alone I want to see in cinemas this month alone. :lol:

Enjoyed them both equally. That mother f-ing T Rex's still got it though. ;)
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:49 am

dste wrote:I presume that you have both seen one of favourite bits which is:

We watched an episode of season six last night which had us both in hysterics, not going to give anything away. :D
My favourite Jack line was from that episode where Liz's ex Dennis gets this brilliant business idea to sell beepers: "Oh, I can’t. I’m expecting a call from 1983."

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:05 pm

I was watching Mortal Kombat which I love, but finding out midway through that my car window had been smashed for some reason put me in a bad mood. It was slightly redeemed by the hilariously awful MK: The Journey Begins bonus feature though

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:33 pm

latest episode of Banshee, easily one of the best shows about, really pleased to read there will be a 4th series.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:15 pm

Just watched first Blu Ray on my Xbox one - Tremors. Still an awesome film.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:09 am

I tried to like 30 Rock, but it doesn't work for me.I just can't relate to it at all, I think it's the TV setting. I'm surprised it's so popular tbh. The odd good joke, but mostly meh.

At episode 3 of The Whispers, we've binned it. The promising first episode hasn't been followed up, instead tbey spent a couple of hours avoiding tne interesting aspects of tne show and focused on the boring relationship stuff that could be in any soap.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:51 am

Watched a low budget horror film called Crawl or Die. Got mixed reviews but I rather liked it. A crack squad of soldiers have to go underground to stay alive but end up being chased by a alien (you can tell what they are ripping off). Problem they have is the tunnels get smaller and smaller, so if you are the kind of person who don't like tight spaces you probably don't want to watch it.

What the main character squeezes through for real for about the last 45 minutes is unreal. I would not do it that's for sure. Pretty good for a late night watch.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:23 am

theantmeister wrote:
dste wrote:I presume that you have both seen one of favourite bits which is:

My favourite Jack line was from that episode where Liz's ex Dennis gets this brilliant business idea to sell beepers: "Oh, I can’t. I’m expecting a call from 1983."
Just watched the series 3 finale, the kidney song episode :lol:

And just discovered that series 4 onwards are not included in Prime, I have to pay for them! Bastards!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:38 am

With so many of my favourite TV shows currently finished (Game of Thrones, Walking Dead etc) i'll finally get round to watching the latest season of Homeland. Hopefully it'll be decent.

Still might watch Sons of Anarchy but unsure how good/bad that'll be, heard mixed reviews

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:42 pm

Sons Of Anarchy?

Only seen the first season so far...and that was awesome.

If you can get past just how terrible every single character is, it's a great watch.

Seriously, they are all terrible, terrible people.