What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

flying_delorean81

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by flying_delorean81 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:25 am

The Last Man on Earth - pretty good series, although I felt like it should have been funnier. Will Forte basically plays the same self-centred character he usually plays (think MacGruber), and it's a good laugh seeing everything bad that happens as a result of his selfish actions

The Death of Superman Lives: What Happened? - I'd been looking forward to this doc for a long time since backing its crowdfunding campaign. Found it quite interesting. If you've seen An Evening With Kevin Smith you already know half of the story though. Still worth a watch to see just how different this Superman movie would have been compared to all the others.

The Babadook - quite a creepy film but not as scary as most of the reviews led me to believe.

True Detective - am about half way through season 1 and enjoying it a lot, it's quite gripping stuff

X-Men Days of Future Past: The Rogue Cut - I wanted to see how this differed from the theatrical version and to be honest it drags quite a bit. I can see why they cut it, the extra material is basically Magneto and Iceman rescuing Rogue from Xavier's mansion so that she can absorb Kitty Pryde's powers and take over holding Wolverine's head for a bit. I think I'll only watch the theatrical version from now on, as it's a lot tighter. On a related note, the new pics from X-Men Apocalypse look a bit dodgy to me. I mean Psylocke looks good, but Apocalypse looks a bit of a joke, like Juggernaut did in X-Men 3...
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:45 pm

Watched Pale Rider on ITV4 last night. Been on a bit of a Clint Eastwood binge lately and seemed to have developed a liking for these films. It didn't explain how that marshall knew the preacher so I'm assuming he was one of his former deputies? I don't know but it was a good watch.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:05 pm

Fletch - with Chevy Chase. The cult classic that it is. :lol: Got to love the 80s vibe - the electronic synth music, the fashion, the big curly hair on the women. Look out for the famous faces : a pre-stardom Geena Davis, "Norm" from Cheers, Joe Don Baker, etc.

I think watched a few episodes from Star Trek : TNG. Some of the less well known ones. Still holds up reasonably well. Hopefully, the Star Trek franchise will get a TV series made.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:41 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Predestination. Good movie, I was worried it might drag based on reviews, but while it isn't an action movie its always interesting.
Yep, a really good film. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The changes made from the original story actually improved the storytelling imo. Thanks for pointing me at this folks, really good shout.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

dste

Post by dste » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:14 am

Watched the first three episodes of season six of 30 Rock last night after finally buying season six and seven recently.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:55 am

Finally saw the new Terminator film, I'm a huge fan of the first & have enjoyed all the rest, though the logic went out the windows when they ballixed up the timelines from the 2nd film onwards.

I thought they gave too much away in the 1st trailer, so I'm glad I avoided all the others.

My mate hadn't seen any & ended up enjoying te film all the more for it.
*** SPOILERS ***

I really enjoyed the first half hour or so, the scenes at the end of the war & the revisiting of the 1st film was ace, I loved 80s CGI Arnie v ancient Arnie "YOU WON'T BE NEEDING CLOTHES" great fun & the traps for the T-1000, it was like a really good mini Terminator film set on fast forward.

It really lost the plot when they went back to the future & the whole John Connor business was a mess.

I've since seen the trailers...they gave away massive plot points & set pieces, I hate it when they do that.

Overall good fun...but could've been so much better.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:48 pm

flying_delorean81 wrote:The Last Man on Earth - pretty good series, although I felt like it should have been funnier. Will Forte basically plays the same self-centred character he usually plays (think MacGruber), and it's a good laugh seeing everything bad that happens as a result of his selfish actions

The Death of Superman Lives: What Happened? - I'd been looking forward to this doc for a long time since backing its crowdfunding campaign. Found it quite interesting. If you've seen An Evening With Kevin Smith you already know half of the story though. Still worth a watch to see just how different this Superman movie would have been compared to all the others.

The Babadook - quite a creepy film but not as scary as most of the reviews led me to believe.

True Detective - am about half way through season 1 and enjoying it a lot, it's quite gripping stuff

X-Men Days of Future Past: The Rogue Cut - I wanted to see how this differed from the theatrical version and to be honest it drags quite a bit. I can see why they cut it, the extra material is basically Magneto and Iceman rescuing Rogue from Xavier's mansion so that she can absorb Kitty Pryde's powers and take over holding Wolverine's head for a bit. I think I'll only watch the theatrical version from now on, as it's a lot tighter. On a related note, the new pics from X-Men Apocalypse look a bit dodgy to me. I mean Psylocke looks good, but Apocalypse looks a bit of a joke, like Juggernaut did in X-Men 3...

True Detective is a great series; a little slow, but sticking with it brings great results.

Not a fan of season 2 at all though.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:59 am

Stonehearst Asylum. An odd film, as it's dark but slightly comedic at times. Watch if you stumble on it, but don't go out of your way for it.

Chappie last week was the worst film I'd seen in a very long time, so I'm surprised it has been superseded so quickly by Snowpiercer. Utter garbage. Starts out prmisingly enough, then Tilda Swinton turns up and it's all downhill from there. Avoid.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:17 am

The Watch - Pretty enjoyable with a lot of funny moments.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Analog

Post by Analog » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:11 am

force majeure
this film won't be everyones cup of tea, it is a swedish drama set in france around a family crisis. I thought it was brilliantly executed.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:07 am

Been watching lots of 30Rock, very light entertainment but a nice break from all the more serious shows I've been watching. Alec Baldwin is also amazing in it!

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:38 pm

Recently caught the 30 Rock bug too, about halfway through the 3rd series. And yes, Alec Baldwin is very funny indeed, he's nailed that part. Love it!

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:10 pm

Blackadder series 3. Still very funny despite having seen it many times before. Stephen Fry as Wellington is a particular highlight.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:44 pm

latest episode of True Detective, not as good as first series but still enjoyable

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:05 pm

Under the Dome series 3 episodes 1, 2 & 3. It has suddenly got a lot darker. I like this direction.

Mortdecai with Johnny Depp. I don't think this was widely accepted as a good film but we all thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought the vagina on his upper lip was very nice indeed. :lol: Mr Depp is a very clever man.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/