What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

gman72

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by gman72 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:26 am

Megamixer wrote:
gman72 wrote: Me and the Mrs watched it all back to back every evening over a few weeks period last year. A great series with some classic characters and really only one duff episode during its entire run. :D
Antiriad2097 wrote:Season 3 is quite dull, but it comes to a satisfactory conclusion. Had it not been such a social phenomenon, I wouldn't have missed not watching it. Great characters, but jeez its so slow. Could easily have been two series for the whole thing.
I did remember wondering how there were so many series' after I'd watched the first episode so I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes and how they manage to make the central story go on for so long.
I remember thinking a very similar thing after series one. Well that was good but how are they gonna keep this on mission over five series... :wink: Have faith. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:30 am

They do it by having entire episodes where nothing happens until the final 3 minutes.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:54 am

The Evil Dead - the track records of remakes haven't been very good, so I was pleasantly surprised that this stayed respectful to the original whist putting its own twist. I liked the way the main characters were going to the cabin to help their friend go cold turkey, which makes them more likeable as it isn't the usual teens go somewhere remote to drink, take drugs and have sex routine that we've seen a million times before so makes them more sympathetic, and makes them think the strange goings on are as a result of her addiction. It's very well made, and does feature

One thing that did bug me was how the evil gets unleashed - in the original they play a recording, which makes sense as you'd likely play a tape if you saw it lying around but here it's far less logical. One of the characters also does two incredibly stupid acts within about 2 minutes of eachother, but that's not enough to spoil it. There is a truly epic censored tease at the end though

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:33 am

Shinobi wrote:Return to Oz remember seeing it in the cinema not saw it since.. Classic film but much darker than the Judy Garland version, not all happy and singing I'm tolf Return to Oz is much closer to the original book
Yeah - I remember watching it on TV. I've only seen it once. I think (like you mentioned)it's based more on the books rather than in the style of the old MGM Judy Garland film - and hence the reason why it is much darker. On that related note - The Wizard of Oz is on cinematic re-release in IMAX(digital not film) and in 3D.

Anyway, last night I started watching Orange is the New Black. It's a new series from Netflix. It's sort of a comedy drama about a young women getting sent to a womens' prison for drug smuggling - and then she bumps into her old lesbian lover. It's quirky to say the least. Kate Mulgrew(Captain Janeway from Star Trek : Voyager) is in it.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:38 pm

RetroAerosmith wrote:Celebrity Juice. - one reason now I dislike the show is that annoying idiot Gino Dcampo has taken the role of team captain as Holly is off on maternity -
If she's not there then there's no point in watching :wink: . Also that Gino bloke does my head in generally whichever ITV programme he appears in.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

themightymartin

Post by themightymartin » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:24 pm

Just got back from watching Lucy.

It's sh1t.
Xbox Live\Steam: themightymartin
3DS Friend Code: 5000-3656-8384
Zazzle Store: YonDer Designs

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:09 pm

Amazing Spiderman 2, really disappointed in this, just a mess.

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:23 pm

sscott wrote:Amazing Spiderman 2, really disappointed in this, just a mess.
I watched this tonight too on Blu Ray and you're right. Overall it's a right mess but I was strangely entertained by it all the same. It's not in the same league as the other marvel films such as Avengers and Thor 1. No where near. Sounds lovely through my amp though, I'll give it that.

Eat your nans pants

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:06 pm

More of Orange is the New Black. I have a couple more episodes of season 1 to go. It sort of uses Lost's storytelling device to show how the different characters ended up in prison. Still quite an interesting storyline developing.
Last edited by Katzkatz on Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:07 pm

Rurouni Kenshin the live action film, second time I've seen it, first time on DVD, its still one of the best manga to film adaptations

Waiting on the follow ups.......

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:48 pm

The latest Arnie movie. Sabotage. I really enjoyed this and the general 'feel' to the movie was a bit different to Arnie's usual films but it didn't detract. I totally forgot that this had been released (missed it in the cinema) but it was good to see it on DVD and was worth the money.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:15 pm

Megamixer wrote:
RetroAerosmith wrote:Celebrity Juice. - one reason now I dislike the show is that annoying idiot Gino Dcampo has taken the role of team captain as Holly is off on maternity -
If she's not there then there's no point in watching :wink: . Also that Gino bloke does my head in generally whichever ITV programme he appears in.
I do find Celebrity Juice so funny, thought i would hate it as most of the people on the panel are from crap reality tv shows. But i'm glad the shows back, Gino De Campo is quite funny but yeah Holly is gorgeous !

Keith Lemon is great though, good show last week. Wish they would show more repeats on tv, if you search on youtube you can see most of them though

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:29 pm

Put in for some crowd funding on Table Top season 3, one of the perks I got was all episodes from season 1and 2, so I've been working my way through those.
Splink!

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:26 pm

psj3809 wrote:
Megamixer wrote:
I do find Celebrity Juice so funny, thought i would hate it as most of the people on the panel are from crap reality tv shows. But i'm glad the shows back, Gino De Campo is quite funny but yeah Holly is gorgeous !

Keith Lemon is great though, good show last week. Wish they would show more repeats on tv, if you search on youtube you can see most of them though
Oh, I do still like Celebrity Juice as its one of the funniest shows out, but Gino just rubs me the wrong way....and that "so your from sheffield" joke is tiresome, also dropping rude words in randomly just makes the "lads mag" audience crease...i find it meh.

I caught up with this series on Wentworth. Im really enjoying it albeit the slow motion random bits that happen every so often. Its a Prisoner cell block h "reimagining" for those that havent or wouldnt watch it. As a massive cell block H fan im happy that its sticking the odd nod back to the older days.

pratty

Post by pratty » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:01 pm

Dial M for Murder. Like Rear Window it makes a lot of relatively little, very compelling despite the restricted setting and modest production, quality filmmaking on show.

Started watching Tyrant and Season 5 of Boardwalk Empire. Tyrant is ok, 2nd episode dipped a bit though following a solid decent episode. Also watching Under The Dome and Ray Donovan and The Murdoch Mysteries, Murdcoh Mysteries is pure inoffensive detective cheese, but I like it.
Last edited by pratty on Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823