What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:00 pm

Last night I watched Chico and Rita(via BBC Iplayer to all you torrent fans! :lol: ). It's an adult animation about two young Cuban lovers, one a singer and the other a musician. It's a sort of love story. It's unusual(what with it being an animation) - but if you want something offbeat then probably watch it. I'd say it was good - but not perhaps as good as the critics made it out to be.

dste

Post by dste » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:01 pm

Caught up with episodes two and three of the second series of Cuckoo today.

Still kind of enjoying it but getting very cringe worthy which I'm not sure really suits the programme. Will still watch the last two episodes though.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:26 am

re watching Dan vs,
As series I downloaded in the past, now own the first series on DVD and the rest of it looks like it will never come out on DVD

Son_of_Shinobi

Post by Son_of_Shinobi » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:10 am

Working my way through The Shield

While a good show, there are lots of glaringly obvious continuity errors, and some of the character arcs/moments are so un-believable and far fetched it's hard to rate it. It is watchable, and thankfully it has picked up a bit in Season 3. It's entertaining, but at times it does feel like a chore to watch.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:29 pm

I finally got around to watching Godzilla, directed by Gareth Edwards(of Monsters fame). Pretty good - and much better than the Roland Emmerich version. It's good that it had a slow build-up and did create some tension. Probably the best Godzilla movie that has been made.

necronom

Post by necronom » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:43 am

I've been watching Halt and Catch Fire (about the beginning of the computer industry in the early '80s). I've really enjoyed it. Has anyone watched that and Silicon Valley? I'm wondering how they compare.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:33 am

X-Men Origins: Wolverine - Not bad at all but the rendition of Deadpool in this movie is just awful. Also...Will.I.am in a Marvel film? *shakes head sadly*. Otherwise it was enjoyable enough.

I've also started watching Breaking Bad. Only watched the first two episodes so far but it's quite addictive.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:20 am

Megamixer wrote: I've also started watching Breaking Bad. Only watched the first two episodes so far but it's quite addictive.
Me and the Mrs watched it all back to back every evening over a few weeks period last year. A great series with some classic characters and really only one duff episode during its entire run. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:54 am

Season 3 is quite dull, but it comes to a satisfactory conclusion. Had it not been such a social phenomenon, I wouldn't have missed not watching it. Great characters, but jeez its so slow. Could easily have been two series for the whole thing.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:59 pm

The Leftovers episode one. Umm, what was that all about. People dressed in white who don't talk but smoke continually. A very strange, weird feeling to this new show. Will keep watching to see where it goes.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:19 pm

Return to Oz remember seeing it in the cinema not saw it since.. Classic film but much darker than the Judy Garland version, not all happy and singing I'm tolf Return to Oz is much closer to the original book

Legend of Lorelei 1974 Siren/Mermaid who rips peoples hearts out and eats them literally could not look at the heart stealing scene's

Mysterious City's of Gold everybody seems to talk fast but still great
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:01 pm

gman72 wrote: Me and the Mrs watched it all back to back every evening over a few weeks period last year. A great series with some classic characters and really only one duff episode during its entire run. :D
Antiriad2097 wrote:Season 3 is quite dull, but it comes to a satisfactory conclusion. Had it not been such a social phenomenon, I wouldn't have missed not watching it. Great characters, but jeez its so slow. Could easily have been two series for the whole thing.
I did remember wondering how there were so many series' after I'd watched the first episode so I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes and how they manage to make the central story go on for so long.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:44 am

Megamixer wrote:
gman72 wrote: Me and the Mrs watched it all back to back every evening over a few weeks period last year. A great series with some classic characters and really only one duff episode during its entire run. :D
Antiriad2097 wrote:Season 3 is quite dull, but it comes to a satisfactory conclusion. Had it not been such a social phenomenon, I wouldn't have missed not watching it. Great characters, but jeez its so slow. Could easily have been two series for the whole thing.
I did remember wondering how there were so many series' after I'd watched the first episode so I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes and how they manage to make the central story go on for so long.
Gus. You'll see. Oh, and Mike.

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:50 am

Celebrity Juice. - one reason now I dislike the show is that annoying idiot Gino Dcampo has taken the role of team captain as Holly is off on maternity -

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:12 am

Girlfriend and I watched Dead Set last night. Forgotten how gory it is for a tv program! Was great fun to watch it again though, seeing that slimeball producer provide a solid meal for several zombies was still entertaining.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords