What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Negative Creep

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by Negative Creep » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:21 am

Most of the people who download them wouldn't go to the cinema anyway, so that makes no difference to the profits. It's also entirely possible that someone could download something and enjoy it so much they decide to go and buy a physical copy when they wouldn't have done otherwise. In the same way home taping was supposed to kill the movie industry, it's just a convenient scapegoat

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:26 am

And games. Don't forget how the billion dollar games industry is on its knees because of piracy.

I'm not just talking about critical review of Kick Ass 2, peer review was flakey too. You are, I think, the first person Ive come across to be so enthused by it, most everyone else has been meh.

People don't go to the cinema because its expensive. In 3 months, the DVD will be under a tenner and they can watch it on a big screen at home. For most movies that's enough.

It takes an event movie like Star Wars to get me to the cinema. And I'll still pirate it. Then buy it once it eventually comes out.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:31 am

The movie industry goes on a bout piracy, then they pull s**t like making us wait for months for a film to come out over here

recent example is the new turtles film, I was set to watch it at the cinema, then I found out its not due out over here till next month so I just downloaded it

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:34 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:You are, I think, the first person Ive come across to be so enthused by it, most everyone else has been meh.
Well I hope I have some sort of award lined up :wink:

I'm probably the only person who doesn't pirate movies either. If I don't want to risk wasting money on something then I'll just leave it until it's £5 or less on DVD. I'm in no desperate rush to see stuff so I don't think to myself "OMG must download this as soon as it's available" etc.

Cinemas certainly are overpriced but I still enjoy the experience, even if I wouldn't pay for it on a regular basis.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:19 pm

I download films and TV series. I also buy Bluerays and go to the cinema. I'm naughty and good. :twisted: :evil:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:07 pm

First episode of the new series of sons of anarchy.Awesome.Be sad when sons is finished
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:37 am

markopoloman wrote:I download films and TV series. I also buy Bluerays and go to the cinema. I'm naughty and good. :twisted: :evil:
I used to buy TONS of videos back in the Britiannia Video club years of the 90s, what a waste of money those were, i spent loads ! Moved onto dvds but not at a rapid pace.

My problem is i buy dvds then hardly watch them, they sit there looking good on the shelf thats it ! Due to that reason i tend to rent/stream more and more films. I'll buy absolute favourites (Star Wars etc) but if its not a favourite i'll rent/stream it. I think too many people buy dvds, watch once and then sit there forever on a shelf, worse still sit there in the cellophane still !

knightintosh

Post by knightintosh » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:23 am

markopoloman wrote:I download films and TV series. I also buy Bluerays and go to the cinema. I'm naughty and good. :twisted: :evil:
That doesn't cancel out the damage you're doing to the others though!

Strange, I hear the arguments for piracy and I was brought up to not steal. Simple as that. If you can't afford something you save up, or do without. And having to wait a few months for a movie for whatever reason - talk about first world problems! Not excuse for stealing.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:56 am

psj3809 wrote:I think too many people buy dvds, watch once and then sit there forever on a shelf, worse still sit there in the cellophane still !
Very true. That's why I only buy stuff I'm taking a punt on at mega cheap prices. If it's no good then I'll add it to a stack that will either get sold to Music Magpie when it's big enough or I'll just charity shop them so somebody else can have a bargain. I wouldn't be doing this if buying stuff at full price obviously but not many films interest me so much that i'll shell out £15 or whatever for the DVD (I think the last one I paid full whack for was The Dark Knight Rises).
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:04 am

knightintosh wrote:

Not excuse for stealing.
It isnt stealing if the internet gives it to you. :lol:
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:23 am

knightintosh wrote:
That doesn't cancel out the damage you're doing to the others though!

Strange, I hear the arguments for piracy and I was brought up to not steal. Simple as that. If you can't afford something you save up, or do without. And having to wait a few months for a movie for whatever reason - talk about first world problems! Not excuse for stealing.
If I didn't download TV shows, I would do without most of them if they weren't on freeview. And most of them do turn up there eventually. Not paying to watch Bones isn't hurting it, since I absolutely wouldn't buy the DVDs or pay for a TV channel just to see it.

Downloading The Clone Wars didn't stop me buying the DVDs. I'll buy good stuff I want, but so much TV and movies are just filler. I'd just watch something else instead.

I do rent much more often now again though, since I don't like downloading movies.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:05 am

I download/stream stuff I cant get over here, things like anime (only site thats legal puts money in its creators pocket), recent TV series, (Breaking bad was never on UK tv), wrestling (I aint getting sky and the sky sports package just to watch 3 hours a week WITH ADDS!!, will get the WWE Network when it comes out over here as long as it isnt a BS price) and the odd film, but would rather watch it in the cinema

Edit

Also I do buy stuff on DVD, got the Alan Partridge movie DVD today
Last edited by DPrinny on Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:30 am

I download a lot of tv stuff I already own, mainly because I can't be arsed to swap dvds over all the time!
Splink!

knightintosh

Post by knightintosh » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:36 am

The excuses for pirating (stealing) are ludicrous. By not purchasing them or the service they're exclusively on, you're watching it by stealing it instead of paying for something. Instead of the money going where it should, into the hands of those that create it. Sickening.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:47 am

knightintosh wrote:The excuses for pirating (stealing) are ludicrous. By not purchasing them or the service they're exclusively on, you're watching it by stealing it instead of paying for something. Instead of the money going where it should, into the hands of those that create it. Sickening.
In the case of the anime stuff on that site, the creators of said anime dont see a penny of it, unless its one of the few DVDs we get over here.