What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:40 pm

markopoloman wrote:Yeah, season 5 isn't the best but there are still some jolly good episodes.
Okay dokey - MPM.

Anyway, last night I watched the classic 1970s sci-fi film Silent Running. It's got the hippy and eco theme running through it. As well as the two robots. I've always found the songs rather annoying in it.

Then I watched Gattaca. An interesting tale about how a genetically deficient human and how he plans to get on to the astronaut programme. It's sort of set sometime in the future. Quite interesting. The actual issues of genetic engineering and just having some genetically pure human race - do take a backseat because of some of plot twists in the tale.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:11 pm

I think Gattaca is one of the most underrated films of this generation

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:34 pm

koopa42 wrote:I think Gattaca is one of the most underrated films of this generation
I agree koops, very cool film.

I watched Avengers Assemble this afternoon which was rather good fun. Absolute nonsense, of course, but fun.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:53 pm

koopa42 wrote:I think Gattaca is one of the most underrated films of this generation
thirded. Brilliant film.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

firebreather

Post by firebreather » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:56 am

Finished watching 1st season of Grimm good fun, also a couple of movies Chasing Amy excellent film having watched most of Kevin Smiths other films dont know why its taken me so long to get around to this. Also Barry Lyndon by stanely Kubrik another good one.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:57 am

The Walking Dead.

[Spoilers]
The episode where the two girls are killed off at the end.
:shock:
Last edited by Antiriad2097 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited for spoilers, thanks for ruining the episode.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:28 am

The Great Gatsby with Leonardo DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire. It's Baz Lurhmann's version. I had seen the Robert Redford and Mia Farrow one(with a screenplay by Francis Ford Coppola - for trivia fans out there). Plus, I had actually read the book. It's like Lurhmann dropped some acid or something - in the first half of the film, it's sensory overload. I'm not sure about the use of the modern R 'n' B songs in some of the film. DiCaprio is pretty good as Gatsby, but I think that Maguire and Carey Mulligan are both miscast as Nick Carraway and Daisy. I'm not sure about the opening framing device - and also what's up with using bits of dialogue from Fitzgerald's other books? There is also CGI overload - and it's a bit obvious as well. It's an interesting attempt at getting Gatsby to the screen - but ultimately, I think it's a very difficult(perhaps impossible) job to actually do. Only, watch it if your a Gatsby fan - and out of curiosity.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:50 pm

Cool scary short film....

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news ... lm-3280333

Watch it full screen in the dark, very cool

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:31 pm

Ha ha! I watched that this morning ..... not really scary at 7.30am :D however I'm posting it on my facebook at around 9pm tonight and tagging all my scaredy cat friends and family to it :twisted:

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:35 pm

Hunger Games: catching fire... Borrrring

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:41 pm

Morkin wrote:The Walking Dead.

[Spoilers]
Oops, sorry. :oops: Apologies for ruining the episode. Thought I was safe as it was last week's episode. I won't post again.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:18 pm

Morkin wrote:

[Spoilers]
Oops, sorry. :oops: Apologies for ruining the episode. Thought I was safe as it was last week's episode. I won't post again.

I'm guessing your talking about The Grove? Did not see that one coming..........

The Lone Ranger - not the complete catastrophe that I was expecting but still a bit of a mess. Chief Jack Sparrow's routine is getting tiresome and he has no chemistry with the Ranger, who incidentally is utterly useless until the final 10 minutes. The tone is also all over the place, with kid friendly jokes getting mixed with a baddie who eats people's hearts and one part where they literally transition from a comedic cart chase to a load of people getting massacred by a gatling gun. Confusingly there are also several scenes with seemingly mystical or supernatural powers, despite being told quite clearly in the middle of the film that Tonto is making it all up and is just delusional. It's also far too long, with the older Tonto scenes in particular completely pointless.

That said, it looks gorgeous and the final scene is very well done. It's also very hard not to raise a smile once the iconic music starts playing as well.

Also just watched Warm Bodies, which is a zombie film about a zombie who falls in love with a human. Now you'd be forgiven for thinking it's some kind of awful Twilight knockoff but it's actually very well made and breathes new life (no pun intended) into a stale genre. The twist hewre is that the zombies are slowly regaining their humanity, and are caught between humans and too far gone skeletal zombies who want them dead. It's also nice to see a zombie film which actually has SPOILER a straight up happy ending, since having everyone die or barely survive a rule of the genre
Last edited by Negative Creep on Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:49 pm

Snowpiercer

An interesting idea for a film - last humans are all on a train that doesn't stop, ever. It's a long train full of odd people. Completely nuts in places and I have to admit that I enjoyed it in a really strange way :?

I'm not going to spoil it for anyone, but it has a really censored ending. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ooops!
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:05 am

Negative Creep wrote:
Morkin wrote:

[Spoilers]

I'm guessing your talking about The Grove with the two little girls? Did not see that one coming....
You're just making things worse...
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:40 am

Les Misérables with Hugh Jackman, Anne Hathaway, Helena Bonham-Carter and Russell Crowe. I have to say that from the outset - I'm not a fan of musicals - I only really like Grease and Cabaret, but trying to keep an open mind I watched this. It looked like it had very good production values. I'm afraid I haven't seen the stage productions of it, nor read the book. I could sort of follow what happened in the story. Most of the cast were very good at the singing stuff, except Russell Crowe(don't give up the day job Russell). I did find the whole "lets bust into song thing a bit distracting" - even for a musical. It didn't convert me. One for fans only, I think.