What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by Katzkatz » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:18 am

I finished off season 2 of Utopia. Interesting ending. There is still potential for a season 3 - I hope that happens.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:42 am

Kick Ass 2 - Amazing, really enjoyed it :) . For some reason, I found it constantly funny whenever the main bad guy referred to his Dad as being "blown up by a bazooka". Great sequel though and I really hope there's another.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ulrich7ad

Post by ulrich7ad » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:14 pm

Watched the second percy Jackson at the weekend. Nowt special but passable for a Sunday afternoon. Also burning through the US office at the moment while my wife points out how unlike a real office it is.

dste

Post by dste » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:53 pm

Megamixer wrote:Kick Ass 2 - Amazing, really enjoyed it :) . For some reason, I found it constantly funny whenever the main bad guy referred to his Dad as being "blown up by a bazooka". Great sequel though and I really hope there's another.
Not according to Chloë Grace Moretz as apparently she reckons that the second one didn't make enough money to warrant a third film due to piracy.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:23 pm

The latest Robocop, was ok, enjoyed more than I thought I would, Gary Oldman held it together.

Also Man On A Ledge, not as bad as I read it was, passed the time ok.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:18 am

dste wrote:
Megamixer wrote:Kick Ass 2 - Amazing, really enjoyed it :) . For some reason, I found it constantly funny whenever the main bad guy referred to his Dad as being "blown up by a bazooka". Great sequel though and I really hope there's another.
Not according to Chloë Grace Moretz as apparently she reckons that the second one didn't make enough money to warrant a third film due to piracy.
Of course piracy is the reason. Not the universally average reviews the second movie got, which was reflected in sales.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

knightintosh

Post by knightintosh » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:57 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
dste wrote:
Of course piracy is the reason. Not the universally average reviews the second movie got, which was reflected in sales.
Not on its own, no you're right, but piracy is a big problem and, despite being critically acclaimed etc etc blah blah blah ;) Game of Thrones is only hanging in there by a thread because of it. (Also still there because Northern Ireland Screen keeps pumping more millions into it while the local filmmakers beg for scraps! Ahem.... pardon me... got side-tracked!)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:10 am

Piracy is a problem but ridiculous high costs at the cinema are also to blame. I went to see Inbetweeners 2 at the cinema, tickets were about 9 quid each (said to the missus did you get luxury seats - she said no, these are the normal priced ones !) plus over priced popcorn/drinks etc came to about 30 quid in all just to watch a film. RIdiculous.

Quite happy now to wait a few months and watch it on Blinkbox or rent it from iOS.

But granted for that latest Kick Ass film the bad reviews the film got didnt help one bit

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:48 am

How ironic. Because people pirated Kick Ass 2 - a film they wanted to see - there won't be a sequel...a sequel that downloaders won't ever get to watch because of what they contributed to. Thanks a lot dumbasses. Keep pirating stuff and soon nobody will bother to produce anything.

Mini rant over...

People loved the first one and the sequel was certainly no worse for me so I don't 'get' the apathy. One thing I did notice is that a lot of poor reviews centered on the bad taste violence being dished out by very young characters (which was the same for the original film) so it almost seems as if Daily Mail types have found something to moan about and given the movie a bad name. Negative reviews I've read have all based themselves on this and not actually slated the sequel for any other reasons.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:36 am

I've not pirated it, but still not got round to watching it either. Both movies are bundled for under a tenner in Asda now. Iirc, everyone who posted here saying they'd seen it said it was a bit of a let down, so I've been in no rush.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:55 pm

Megamixer wrote:How ironic. Because people pirated Kick Ass 2 - a film they wanted to see - there won't be a sequel...a sequel that downloaders won't ever get to watch because of what they contributed to. Thanks a lot dumbasses. Keep pirating stuff and soon nobody will bother to produce anything.

Mini rant over...

People loved the first one and the sequel was certainly no worse for me so I don't 'get' the apathy. One thing I did notice is that a lot of poor reviews centered on the bad taste violence being dished out by very young characters (which was the same for the original film) so it almost seems as if Daily Mail types have found something to moan about and given the movie a bad name. Negative reviews I've read have all based themselves on this and not actually slated the sequel for any other reasons.

The original felt fresh exciting and even dangerous, whereas the sequel just seemed to play it pretty safe and wasn't as engaging. A good example is the mugging scene early on, where Hit Girl just beats up the criminals and then spouts an awful one liner. Back in the first film she dropped the c-bomb then killed everyone there without hesitation, including a woman who wasn't any direct threat. Plus what was that cafeteria scene about? It looks like something out of Monty Python and doesn't fit at all with the tone of the film.

Recently watched Captain America 2. Can't really go in to much detail without spoiling the plot (although annoyingly IMDB and RT both readily state who the Winter Soldier is) but it's a surprisingly involving and deep film which addresses the balance between freedom and protection in a very interesting manner. One thing that does bug me about all the solo movies post Avengers though is why don't they call on the rest of the team for help? And why didn't Stark discover the secret about SHIELD when he hacked their mainframe?

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:11 pm

I did a back-to-back cinema viewing. First up was Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. Really involving - and probably better than Rise. I was worried that the change of director might have hurt it - but it is that rarest of things - a blockbuster with brains and decent storyline.

Next up was Lucy. Scarlett was of course, her lovely self - that is a screen goddess! It had that typical quirkiness that Luc Besson provides - as well as decent shoot-out scenes! I think that in the last third of the film it does fall apart - and maybe there is the opportunity for a film to cover the subject matter better(i.e. using the human brain to its full potential) - but this film isn't it. However, it Besson, it has Morgan Freeman(the voice of God - no less!), Scarlett Johannson in it and gun battles - so for the most part - you'll be entertained! :)
Last edited by Katzkatz on Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:38 am

Negative Creep wrote:The original felt fresh exciting and even dangerous, whereas the sequel just seemed to play it pretty safe and wasn't as engaging. A good example is the mugging scene early on, where Hit Girl just beats up the criminals and then spouts an awful one liner. Back in the first film she dropped the c-bomb then killed everyone there without hesitation, including a woman who wasn't any direct threat. Plus what was that cafeteria scene about? It looks like something out of Monty Python and doesn't fit at all with the tone of the film.
That's fair enough. Personally I just really enjoyed it as a continuation of the original but it was never going to have the same impact I guess. I still would have liked another but the pirates have ruined that for me now!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:54 am

But there are no solid figures to confirm piracy as a reason for that, only the speculative word of one inexperienced young actress.

Every movie is pirated. Do they all fail to get sequels? Strange how this is the one reason this movie suffered...

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:04 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:But there are no solid figures to confirm piracy as a reason for that, only the speculative word of one inexperienced young actress.

Every movie is pirated. Do they all fail to get sequels? Strange how this is the one reason this movie suffered...
Maybe; I'm just angry as I imagine I might be if a favourite TV series was cancelled for the same reason. It's common knowledge that so many are pirated to the point of the shows in question being on verge of being cancelled.

I do agree that bad reviews probably didn't help but like I said, a lot of the reviews I've read are Daily Mail-style, attacking the violence and age of the in-movie characters involved and then giving out a bad score. Oddly I don't remember this being so prominent with the original (though I may be wrong) so no idea why it happened with the sequel.

On a related note, a friend of a family relative has some sort of Android set-top box that can receive all movies, Netflix, Sky and everything else for free. With stuff like that around, it's a wonder that people actually watch anything at the cinema. I was interested in going to see Expendables III but it was taken down after a matter of weeks (due to - presumably - a lack of interest) so I missed it. That was one film that I'm pretty sure was already pirated to death before it was even released at the cinema.

Just a sign of the times I suppose.