What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

TwoHeadedBoy

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:35 pm

Shinobi wrote:
TwoHeadedBoy wrote: Paperhouse is fantastic, one of my all-time favourites. Takes a while to get going but once it does...
Funnily I hated Paperhouse I think Escape into night that Paperhouse is a remake off was miles better, and a lot closer to the book it was based on 'Mariane Dreams'.. Escape into night much eviler what with those talking graves with eyes
I was unaware of any of that - shall have to investigate...

Meanwhile, tonight I've watched:

-A Nightmare On Elm Street 5, the one where she's pregnant with Freddy somehow. Silly enough to be fun, but not the best film in the world.
-Dot and the Kangaroo, Spike Milligan as a platypus is good, and the bit with the bunyip's fun enough, but I fell asleep towards the end. Funny how they had a real kangaroo "waving" over the end credits though.
-The Deadly Spawn was just starting after Dot and the Kangaroo, but I knew I wouldn't be able to stay awake through that so am calling it a night now...
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:46 am

sscott wrote:The new Sherlock, was good but not great, I think too much of the episode was based on his return that they couldn't get a good investigation going...
Yep, that about sums it up. I watched it last night. It was interesting in seeing how he staged his death, but the rest of the episode seemed a bit lacklustre. There is however, a small revelation at the end, so that could be interesting.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:03 am

sscott wrote:The new Sherlock, was good but not great
That sums up the entire series for me. It was meh to good but that's about it. What wrecked it for me was the TERRIBLE portrayal of Moriarty ..... worst screen version EVER! I also don't understand why Watson is such a whiney little *insert expletive here*.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:45 am

I can't watch Sherlock, Cummerband plays it too autistic and I find it grating.

I much prefer Elementary for my Holmes fix., though Moriarty turned out to be a let down there too.

Yesterday we had a Lord of the Rings marathon.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:19 am

Antiriad2097 wrote: plays it too autistic and I find it grating.
You should try watching Bones ...... then you'd know the true meaning of annoying autism acting

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:38 am

Bones doesn't play it believably though. Sherlock is on the mark. Not sure if its good acting or he's really like that as he's the same in everything I've seen him in.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

lanky316

Post by lanky316 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:23 am

I find BC hard to watch anyway so find Sherlock pretty difficult to enjoy with him as the focal point. Elementary, despite my reservations is actually quite watchable as a modernisation and really enjoy Millers portrayal. That could be purely personal of course, I'm sure the purists loathe them both!

Not something I saw but wondering if anyone else did, Alien 3 was on Channel 4 the other night and while I quite enjoy it couldn't be bothered with staying up to see it. What I did notice though was "edited for violence and language", did anyone see it? What sort of changes were made because I was trying to work out what it was that drove the film beyond acceptable for a 5 past midnight showing and my google fu is weak on this one I'm afraid!

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:31 am

I gave Clash and Wrath of the Titans a second go ...... well by second go I mean I FF through most of Clash and fell asleep 20 minutes into Wrath. Both have since been dele ...... er ........ thrown away.

After Watching Leviathan and Deepstar 6? Tonight's movie will be The Abyss SE. Any other underwater horror/sci-fi suggestions? I love that setting nearly as much as space settings LOL

edit:

Sphere is also ace.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:46 pm

Started watching the complete Gargoyles with my lad ...... one of the best cartoons ever!

dste

Post by dste » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:24 pm

^^Gargoyles is a fantastic cartoon, wouldn't mind picking it up myself at some point.

I watched the first episode of Sherlock the other day and need to catch up with the second.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:58 pm

koopa42 wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote: plays it too autistic and I find it grating.
You should try watching Bones ...... then you'd know the true meaning of annoying autism acting

I watched the second episode in the current series of Sherlock, and I sought of thought a similar thing - that maybe the character is autistic or suffers from Asperger's Syndrome? Anyway, it was a rather quirky episode. It was obviously meant to be more comedic, but I quite liked it. Hopefully we'll see who will be the next super villain to challenge Sherlock(like Moriarty did).

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:29 am

Troll Hunter. Loved it.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:10 am

Up to date on Walking Dead, warning spoilers below...

As usual the middle of the season was dull as anything and as always the last couple of episodes were great. Glad they're leaving the prison, was getting very dull.

I'm tempted to give up on Walking Dead, watched them all but sometimes theres so much dull padding and not enough zombies

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:11 am

Now i'm up to date on Walking Dead i'm now watching lots of Revolution

This 'could' be a great series but i dont know, flashes potential but i can see this shutting down after this second season. So far its been pretty good but i dont think it appeals to the masses sadly

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:31 am

Sorry had to get the 10000th reply in ;)