What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

aztecca

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by aztecca » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:06 am

Watched the latest season finale of Sons of Anarchy was awesome.A great show cant wait for the neaxt series.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:56 pm

I took the nipper to see the desolation of Smaug earlier tonight. Excellent, really enjoyed it. I think PJ has done a cracking job of fleshing out the parts the book only touched on. Yes there plenty of artistic license used, but I don't mind one bit if I'm honest. The 3D was a bit pointless though, if I go to see it again it will be the 2D version.

Smaug is badass, but sauron takes centre stage!

Eat your nans pants

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:38 pm

Hugo the Hippo, just now... Been reading and hearing things about this odd little film for a few years now, and it failed to disappoint :D
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:39 am

Rango.

Visually it loked stunning, with so much detail, but scriptwise a bit flat. Not as good as I hoped.

Hereafter.

Dreadful dull movie with not much plot and dull characters. First 5 minutes are exciting then it drops off a cliff to snoozetown. Includes two of the worst child actors I've ever seen in leading roles, and has one relationship that is killed off just as it is getting interesting. Avoid, do not even buy it at bargain prices. In fact, don't even waste your time downloading a hooky copy.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:59 am

I saw Tron Legacy when it was on the other night. I enjoyed it quite a lot more than I thought I would.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:36 am

Olympus Has Fallen - highly enjoyable old school action flick. Nice ot see something with a proper 15 rating as well, not a 12A cinema run and an "unrated" cut that just has a few CGI blood spurts and f-bombs thrown in

SpiffierRabbit

Post by SpiffierRabbit » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:45 pm

Just watched The Great Gatsby tonight. Very good, good acting from DiCaprio.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:52 pm

I re-watched Scorsese's The King of Comedy. Interesting tale of celebrity culture and media coverage. De Niro gives one of his best performances as Rupert Pupkin. It might not be of Scorsese's best films, but like I said - it did foreshadow the obsession with celebrity.

I then also re-watched Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy with Gary Oldman. I've got the old BBC mini series on my PVR to compare to as well - it's been years since I've seen that version. The film version has its moments, but perhaps the makers did try and condense too much of the plot into a short running time. A rare instance of a film needing to be longer. It'll be interesting to see the sequel Smiley's People - the filmmakers are skipping the second book in the Karla Trilogy - just like the BBC did.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:45 pm

Rick and Morty, it looks like a kids series, IT ISNT!! Thats not a bad thing as its quite funny

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:32 pm

A Raymond Briggs double-bill - The Snowman followed by Father Christmas, both for about the millionth time each, but they'll never get old.

Followed by an Xmas cartoon I'd never seen before... Ziggy's Gift, from 1982. Done by Richard Williams (he animated Roger Rabbit), with music by Harry Nilsson, I loved it! It's on YouTube, worth spending 25 minutes with.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:00 pm

Watched the new Superman film. Never really been a big fan of these - but I must say that I thought Man of Steal was a rather decent watch. Is it worth watching the Spiderman reboot?
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:06 pm

markopoloman wrote:Watched the new Superman film. Never really been a big fan of these - but I must say that I thought Man of Steal was a rather decent watch. Is it worth watching the Spiderman reboot?
Yes, it's pretty good as it goes.

Eat your nans pants

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:50 pm

Wrath of the Titans. I'd not heard great things and the Clash remake was pretty poor,so my expectations were low. It turned out to be moderately enjoyable, better than expected.

Dredd. Big disappointment with this one. Having heard nothing but good reviews, I was more than a little surprised to find a movie starring the character of Dredd but in a regular city instead of Mega City One. It didn't look at all like the comics. Even the Lawmaster had been dulled down to a regular bike. None of the people looked like the population should. It was as if dthey.x'd run out of budget and let all the extras wear their own clothes. By all means watch it, its a decent flick, but if you want to see the comics on screen watch the old Stallone movie instead, its a far better representation despite its flaws.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:04 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Wrath of the Titans. I'd not heard great things and the Clash remake was pretty poor,so my expectations were low. It turned out to be moderately enjoyable, better than expected.

Dredd. Big disappointment with this one. Having heard nothing but good reviews, I was more than a little surprised to find a movie starring the character of Dredd but in a regular city instead of Mega City One. It didn't look at all like the comics. Even the Lawmaster had been dulled down to a regular bike. None of the people looked like the population should. It was as if dthey.x'd run out of budget and let all the extras wear their own clothes. By all means watch it, its a decent flick, but if you want to see the comics on screen watch the old Stallone movie instead, its a far better representation despite its flaws.
Wrath of the Titans I thought was awful. I didn't actually make it to the end of the movie.

Glad someone else shares my views on Dredd! Neither film depicts Dredd the way he is in the mags (always trying to make him more human), but at least the Stallone flick makes for a great representation of Mega City One. The film almost seems to be a post-apocalypse cop film with the 2000AD licence tagged on to improve sales. Lots of things made absolutely no sense, especially the slo-mo drug. If you are chucked from a balcony after taking the drug, your senses are altered but not gravity. Long before your mind senses you are falling, your brains would be splattered all over the ground and you would sense nothing more.

Stallone's film had humour, a great bad guy and brilliant effects (the ABC warrior was VERY cool); all of which Dredd did not. The only criticism was Dredd's removal of his helmet, but I'm happy to make that concession, and the fact that the film was too short; it could have done with another 30 minutes.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:30 pm

Last night, to make a comparison to my recent viewing of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, I watched the old BBC mini series version. Really good, it does show up some of the flaws in the film version. Probably the best Le Carré adaptation that was ever made for the screen.