What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

bonerlaw

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by bonerlaw » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:07 pm

Watched Man of Steel - meh

And Pacific Rim-----woohoo, giant robots vs giant monsters? f*kin awesome!

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:00 pm

I watched Indie Game: The Movie the other day, and it was really good. I wasn't sure I'd like it with it being American and therefore dominated by Mario and Microsoft (two of my least favourite things), but it was about the people and what they went through.

The Charlie Brooker thing on before it was good, too.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

rednoggy

Post by rednoggy » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:16 pm

The Grinch yesterday while putting up the tree. Also at the half way point through Dracula and really enjoying it. After the terrible first episode I didn't think that would be the case.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:07 pm

bonerlaw wrote:Watched Man of Steel - meh

And Pacific Rim-----woohoo, giant robots vs giant monsters? f*kin awesome!
My only gripe is that you don't get to see some of the Jaegers in action for more than a couple of minutes. Bloody great popcorn film though, apparently they've scripted a sequel but are waiting for it to be greenlit.

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:23 pm

During my flight to-and-fro the sunrise:

The Heat - very entertaining. And with Sandra Bullock....
Pacific Rim - excellent modern take on Godzilla
Die Hard: A Good Day to Die Harder - entertaining
After Earth - bored, switched to something else early on
(oh, darn: what else did I watch? Erm...)

And on Sunday gone:

Gravity 3D - concur wholeheartedly with sscot. Fabulous film, brilliant 3D...and Sandra Bullock! MMMmmm.... Caught the film at Showcase. Bitterly disappointed that I missed it on the REALLY BIG screen at Bradford's IMAX in full spectacular special 3D - I was out of the country and this special show was provided for only a few days. BAH! Nonetheless, still riviting stuff on the 'smaller' screen. I wanna watch it again! 8)

TheLastofUrMom

Post by TheLastofUrMom » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:21 am

How The Grinch Stole Christmas! Best holiday movie ever :p

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:18 am

Almost finished watching this Mouse anime. Started off a bit 'meh' towards it but now I actually really like it. Does anybody know if there's any more beyond the 12 episodes I have on this DVD? Must admit that I'd never heard of it until Black Ridge sent it my way...
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:16 am

Megamixer wrote:Almost finished watching this Mouse anime. Started off a bit 'meh' towards it but now I actually really like it. Does anybody know if there's any more beyond the 12 episodes I have on this DVD? Must admit that I'd never heard of it until Black Ridge sent it my way...
I havn't got a clue. I picked it about 8years ago on ebay. Its very odd and pervy but has plenty of laughs to be had. A quick Wiki search states there are only 12 episodes and a 14 volume manga so i'd imagine there is more to the story.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:36 am

Almost Human

This may have stolen the Robocop remake's thunder.

Watched the first 2 episodes last night. Basically a buddy cop show with heavy Blade Runner overtones and styling.

Without much in the way of spoilers, cop has issues and is partnered with an old model android who is modelled to have emotions. First episode was great, effects and sets loked good,things look futuristic but believable, the 'standard' androids look quite Robocop minus his armour. Second episode maintained the look and stuck with a sci fi case and didn't just run into a bog standard murder hunt. If it can maintain this to differentiate itself from other cop shows it could be very good indeed based on these 2 episodes.

Certainly better than Continuum.

Oh, lead role is Karl Urban, with a supporting role by Mckenzie Crook(sp) so budget must be half decent.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:33 am

Yuushibu

Upon saving the world from the demon king and getting nothing for it the MC has to get a job in a place like Currys, but its items have magic in
Then along comes a demon girl for a job
Hilarity is ment to inssue.

NO!! Very little mirth

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:53 pm

Watched teh mid season finale of the walking dead.

[Edited by mod for Spoilers - see tiny text below if you want to read them]

Shame they killed off the guvernor i liked having him back in it.Atleast he chopped off hershals head before he went.Season has been pretty good so far.Hopefully now the prison has pretty much been destoyed they will have to go and survive on the road again for a while and we will see a bit more zombie action.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:00 pm

Ha ha! I'm glad I've seen that episode .... spoilers much? :lol:

necronom

Post by necronom » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:14 pm

aztecca wrote:MASSIVE WALKING DEAD SPOILER
Great. That one hasn't been broadcast yet...

I look forward to not being shocked by it when it happens.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

rednoggy

Post by rednoggy » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:54 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Almost Human

This may have stolen the Robocop remake's thunder.

Watched the first 2 episodes last night. Basically a buddy cop show with heavy Blade Runner overtones and styling.

Without much in the way of spoilers, cop has issues and is partnered with an old model android who is modelled to have emotions. First episode was great, effects and sets loked good,things look futuristic but believable, the 'standard' androids look quite Robocop minus his armour. Second episode maintained the look and stuck with a sci fi case and didn't just run into a bog standard murder hunt. If it can maintain this to differentiate itself from other cop shows it could be very good indeed based on these 2 episodes.

Certainly better than Continuum.

Hadn't realised this had started yet. The previews looked really good. Something else to add to the watch list.

Oh, lead role is Karl Urban, with a supporting role by Mckenzie Crook(sp) so budget must be half decent.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:47 pm

Saw Gravity earlier, and yes, I too thought it was a great film. Really did get the claustrophobic feeling all the way through it, and it did grip me from start to finish.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!