What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Sel Feena

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by Sel Feena » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:54 pm

Family Guy on BBC3; the new season they've been showing has been really poor IMHO, hardly get a laugh out of an entire episode. It feels like I'm only watching this now in the grim hope things will pick up again. :(

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:03 pm

Family Guy makes for good background noise.

As far as MacFarlane goes I derive more enjoyment from American Dad.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:13 am

Sel Feena wrote:Family Guy on BBC3; the new season they've been showing has been really poor IMHO, hardly get a laugh out of an entire episode. It feels like I'm only watching this now in the grim hope things will pick up again. :(
Its up and down

American dad is better.

Bobs burgers is better than all his works.

Also
Whats up with America's air dates? they started new seasons of Bobs burgers, American dad, Simpsons and Family guy about two weeks ago, now there hasn't been any new episodes since

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:51 pm

Frost/Nixon. Really disappointing to find that despite all the stuff about Frost's razor sharp wit and interviewing skills, Frost was a bit of a bumbling rabbit in the headlights and Nixon's 'apology' came from previously unfound research and not Frost's questioning. An interesting story, told well (particularly as it is true), but it turns out the true story isn't as big a deal as first thought (even if the legacy was).

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:03 pm

The latest Walking Dead episode, much much better indeed.

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:24 pm

I watched Reeker over the weekend. Utter garbage. :cry:

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:26 pm

thingonaspring wrote:I watched Reeker over the weekend. Utter garbage. :cry:
Yes. Yes it is. I can't even remember how I ended up watching it but it sure wasted some of my life

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:08 pm

Watched TRON Legacy on blu ray yesterday, along with Starchaser Legend of Orin on dvd. Starchaser still holds up well, even with the dodgy synth soundtrack, and TRON Legacy just kicks ass all round.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Dirk Gently

Post by Dirk Gently » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:50 pm

SAPPHIRE & STEEL!!!!

Get amongst it boys and girls. It's worth a view again. I seem to recall I wasnae allowed watch it as a kid, but it's probably down to my parents thinking it was censored and they didn't want to look at it.

(These are the days when most normal familys had one television - in the living room).

Maybe I'm not allowed to say - but some chap/chapess has uploaded them all on to youtube.

Worth a gander. I remember these being genuinely freaky as a youngster.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:14 pm

Me and the kids are watching this right now .......

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:16 pm

Before midnight, the third and maybe final part of a cerebral rom com with each part filmed about 10 years apart, very Woody Allen but not too pretentious.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:23 pm

Dirk Gently wrote:SAPPHIRE & STEEL!!!!

Get amongst it boys and girls. It's worth a view again. I seem to recall I wasnae allowed watch it as a kid, but it's probably down to my parents thinking it was censored and they didn't want to look at it.

(These are the days when most normal familys had one television - in the living room).

Maybe I'm not allowed to say - but some chap/chapess has uploaded them all on to youtube.

Worth a gander. I remember these being genuinely freaky as a youngster.
With regards to Sapphire and Steel there is a lovely DVD of the entire production run on AMAZON. The episodes are re-mastered and the extras are reasonably good too. One extra tells of how the last surviving reels of the show were being used as a door stop at the television studio that created them until one mortified historian managed to rescue them. The show is freaky as hell, spooky and oddball and is great TV. Worth checking out for any fans of 70s Doctor Who or shows like Hammer House of Horror or Tales Of The Unexpected. Also Lumley looked cracking back then. :D
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-Steel- ... ete+series
Go on you wont regret it. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:34 am

koopa42 wrote:
thingonaspring wrote:I watched Reeker over the weekend. Utter garbage. :cry:
Yes. Yes it is. I can't even remember how I ended up watching it but it sure wasted some of my life
it was sold to me as an "ok timewaster" and a genre i've not seen for awhile, so i agreed :lol:
shouldn't have bothered though.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:11 pm

I watched some Woody Allen - Mighty Aphrodite. Woody plays a sportswriter who adopts a baby and then goes searching for the parents. He fins out that the mother is a prostitute and begins a relationship with her. Felt rather uninspired as a film - but Mira Sorvino's performance was worth watching.

Then I got around to watching Wreck-It Ralph. I loved all of the references to videogames and the cameos. A pretty engaging storyline. I liked the Vanellope character. A really good CGI animation from Disney. Especially good as the recent Pixar stuff has left me rather cold.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:08 pm

Went to see Escape Plan last night and really, really enjoyed it. Cinema was almost completely deserted though which was good for me but a bit depressing considering this film only came out on Friday...does nobody care about Arnie/Stallone movies anymore? Philistines, the lot of 'em :wink:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.