What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

dste

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by dste » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:44 pm

Watched Hancock tonight, was ok but a bit of a mess.

Also in the last few days I've caught up with five episodes of The Good Wife which finished off the current season and also watched the second episode of Deadwood.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:02 pm

Is anyone watching Hell on Wheels on TCM? It's not usually the sort of show that I'd watch, but I quite enjoyed the first episode.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:55 am

Morkin wrote:Is anyone watching Hell on Wheels on TCM? It's not usually the sort of show that I'd watch, but I quite enjoyed the first episode.
Unfortunately, I missed that this had started, so I am going to have to wait for the repeat. It is Western serial(similar to Deadwood - from the looks of it).

I watched the last two episodes of 'Touch' last night. Not sure how long the producers can string out this 'everything is connected storyline'. It seems to be faltering. Much like Mr. Kring's 'Heroes' did after the first season.

I then watched more of 'Justified' .

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:24 am

Ferret Oxide wrote:
Megamixer wrote:Also picked up Johnny English Reborn from ASDA and watched that too. Started off thinking it was boring but it turned out to be hilarious and just as good as the original. I did go with the intention of getting Horrible Bosses but it was practically the only DVD out of stock in the entire display :roll:
I thought the rooftop chase was brilliant. Along with the bit in the helicopter. Much better than the original.
This was my favourite part :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u5EYbzEyzU

After having it sat on the shelf for nearly a year now, I finally made a start on The Matrix Trilogy DVD set. I've seen all these before like everybody else on the planet and thankfully, the original is still a class film. I've also got a sealed copy of The Animatrix...worth watching?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:14 pm

haywire-dubbed as a bourne type film which it is,only nowhere near as good.where the bourne films have a gritty kind of feel with it's shaky cams this one feels like they have gone for beautiful scenery which has made it sort of boring,and there are far too many cuts (?) during the fight scenes so that it doesn't flow right.it starts out so well with the diner scene but goes downhill from there,a good idea badly executed.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:16 pm

Opened up my Life on Mars boxset
Why must I keep re-watching things when I have gigs of stuff to watch

dste

Post by dste » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:29 pm

Watched tonights episode of Justfied, last episode of the season next week. :(
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:50 am

I watched the last episode of 'Mad Men'(season 5). Great stuff. Sky Atlantic are repeating the series from the beginning from next week. The last episode was rather melancholic. I fear that Don might go back to his old ways! I loved the use of 'You Only Live Twice' for the closing credits. So much atmosphere in the series. This season has been more about the characters than a strongly driven storyline, but it did have a few surprises in store. A great TV series.

I then watched more of 'Grimm'. Pretty good, but this series is going to have to come up with the conclusion sooner.

I also watched more of 'Being Human'. Decent stuff, I hope that Watch show all of the series.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:22 am

I went to see Prometheus. I liked it - it was escapist fun for two hours. I thought the visuals were pretty amazing (though maybe a bit too slick for their own good). I even lied the 3d elements which I thought were mostly subtle. And it tied into the Alien universe, which I've watched since I was a kid.

But yes, you could fly the Prometheus spaceship through some of the plot holes!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Arque

Post by Arque » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:45 am

I'd like to recommend 'Wrecked' with Adrien Brody.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:15 am

The Matrix Reloaded. Neo's first battle with the Smith clones and the freeway battle are still amazing to watch. Typically though, I still managed to lose all understanding of the plot near the end when Neo meets the Architect - just like the last time I watched it :oops: . A very nice dosage of Monica Bellucci though :wink:

Just got Revolutions left to re-watch now though I vaguely recall it being a bit drawn-out and dull compared to the first two. Hopefully me memory is playing up on me...
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:21 pm

Astro boy 2003 original Jap dub

It was a victim of the 2000s censors it seems as theres a load of bits pointlessly taken out of the English dubs. Also the intro tune is a lot better (and annoyingly catchy)

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:25 pm

Megamixer wrote:The Matrix Reloaded. Neo's first battle with the Smith clones and the freeway battle are still amazing to watch. Typically though, I still managed to lose all understanding of the plot near the end when Neo meets the Architect - just like the last time I watched it :oops: . A very nice dosage of Monica Bellucci though :wink:

Just got Revolutions left to re-watch now though I vaguely recall it being a bit drawn-out and dull compared to the first two. Hopefully me memory is playing up on me...
It's not, apart from the robot battle thing it's utter bilge.
Watched the Descendants with George Clooney, very good film indeed.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:14 pm

Tron: Uprising.

Two episodes in and its been not bad at all, it holds promise. Much setting up of things in the first two episodes so it should settle down now.

Art style is a bit odd, not sure why they made the characters so lanky, but everything else looks great.

There is one thing though.

This character didn't sit quite right with me, he seemed out of place in Tron and I could't work out why...

Then it struck me...

Its Duane Dibbley!

The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.