What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by Katzkatz » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:21 am

crusto wrote:
JetSetWilly wrote:Watched Let Me In last night. A remake of a recent Swedish film, but it was actually quite enjoyable. Was a bit slow to start with, but once it got going, it was alright. For a change of pace, this afternoon, I watched The Core. It's not a bad film, and the scientific inaccuracies are enough to make Stephen Hawking cry, but for modern disaster B-movie, it was ok.
Thats the one with the young girl out of Kick Ass in it, right? Shes a great young actress. Kick Ass is a kick ass film btw, I laughed out loud alot when watching it.
Chloë Moretz was the actress you are on about. I have seen Kick Ass as well and it was a great film. I especially like the 'Banana Splits' sequence in that.

I have seen the original 'Let the Right One In' and thought that was a very good film. Very different from a lot of vampire films that you see. I haven't seen the US remake.

Anyway, last night I started on season 4 of 'Sons of Anarchy'. I thought that season 3 and the 'Irish' storyline was a bit disappointing. I am only about 3 episodes into the new season. The 'drugs' storyline seems okay, but so far I have yet to be excited by this season.

tachi

Post by tachi » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:32 am

Last night we watched The Fields. Keyed to be a creepy film with unusual happenings on a farm...absolute censored sadly.
Also watched Darkest Hour which we really enjoyed for all it's exploding alien shennanigans :)
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

Vyothric

Post by Vyothric » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:34 am

greenberet79 wrote:
Vyothric wrote:I finally got round to watching the Lord of the Rings trilogy last week. Wasn't impressed.
Fair play for watching ten hours of something you didn't like!
Had to know what all the fuss was about. Kept expecting it to get better as well.
LastFM | Mods | Music | Twitter | YouTube

Zwischen Leere und Nichts

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:11 am

Man on a Ledge. Don't bother.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:54 pm

Vyothric wrote:
greenberet79 wrote:
Vyothric wrote:I finally got round to watching the Lord of the Rings trilogy last week. Wasn't impressed.
Fair play for watching ten hours of something you didn't like!
Had to know what all the fuss was about. Kept expecting it to get better as well.
Did you not read the books as a kid?

As fantasy films go, there's few (if any) that match its scope or production values.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

dste

Post by dste » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:29 pm

Caught up with a couple of episodes of The Big C today, just in time for the finale this week.

Now just need to catch-up with The Good Wife and Homeland.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:39 pm

Watched Extradionary Adventures of Adele Blanc sec, the first film I bought in years(only because Luc Besson done it) very dry but for some reason I found it incredibly funny
Last edited by Shinobi on Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:54 pm

Watched 21 Jump Street at the cinema last night. Funniest film of the year - by far. (probably the past 2 years). Absolutely brilliant :D
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Seadog74

Post by Seadog74 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:01 am

Watched Wrath of the Titans recently. It's ok I suppose but it's all been done before.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:29 pm

Katzkatz wrote:
crusto wrote:
JetSetWilly wrote:Watched Let Me In last night. A remake of a recent Swedish film, but it was actually quite enjoyable. Was a bit slow to start with, but once it got going, it was alright. For a change of pace, this afternoon, I watched The Core. It's not a bad film, and the scientific inaccuracies are enough to make Stephen Hawking cry, but for modern disaster B-movie, it was ok.
Thats the one with the young girl out of Kick Ass in it, right? Shes a great young actress. Kick Ass is a kick ass film btw, I laughed out loud alot when watching it.
Chloë Moretz was the actress you are on about. I have seen Kick Ass as well and it was a great film. I especially like the 'Banana Splits' sequence in that.

I have seen the original 'Let the Right One In' and thought that was a very good film. Very different from a lot of vampire films that you see. I haven't seen the US remake.
I thought it was very good. Apparently, it hasn't been tampered with, and 'Americanized' like so many Euro-US remakes. But, I can't say for sure, as I haven't seen the original.

I did start to watch Green Lantern a few days ago, and found it quite good what I saw so far. Will be watching the rest soon.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:45 pm

Watched all of Adventure time
Quite good, first session is funny after that something goes wrong somewhere and it becomes less funny

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:52 pm

I watched more of 'Sons of Anarchy'(season 4). Another 3 episodes. It is okay, but still lacking the zest of the first 2 seasons.

crusto

Post by crusto » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:15 pm

Just watched Event Horizon on Sky. I was quite impressed, good effects, decent enough story, fair few scares, yeah, I was entertained. 1997 I think, God that was 15 years ago yet it seems like yesterday. Man im starting to feel old.

Eat your nans pants

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:24 pm

Been gradually rewatching Nathan Barley on 4oD for the first time since it was originally broadcast, cannot believe it's over 7 years ago now(!!!)

I never found it particularly hilarious, even when I first saw it eons back, but there's something I really like about it and it's still pretty relevant.

Also watched The Apprentice, which was OK but a little boring tonight, and caught ten minutes of Junior Masterchef Australia earlier, was pretty weird how they were getting the kids to eat animal brains, obviously more for the yuck factor rather than because they actually HAD to - very exploitative in a truly odd way.

PS: I've never tried brains and don't particularly want to but I know they're a legit and acceptable foodstuff and I have no qualms about folk eating them, it's just that kids tend *not* to eat stuff like that and the only reason they were eating said stuff was because grown adults coerced them into doing it. On telly. Bit sinister-paedoabuserish, that, at least I thought, though maybe I'm mental???

Sorry, tangential ramble over. :oops:

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:45 am

Watched Ironclad on Blu-ray, pretty violent medieval film with some decent actors in it, worth a watch.