What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:21 pm

Just watched 'The Terminator'. Been ages since I last seen it. Great stuff from Arnie and Cameron. Still the best of the series.

"I'll be back!" - No Arnie you won't, you're getting a divorce! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:49 pm

You never know, he might be needing the work to pay for his ex-wife.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

Servbot

Post by Servbot » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:53 pm

Robocop. Anyone else disturbed by the early scene when the ED-209 droid kills an innocent executive? I think it spooked me as a kid and it's stuck. lol.

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:22 pm

Nope, although it was heavily cut in the UK until recently, now he gets shot for much longer period of time :lol:

It was Emil getting all toxie that freaked me out back in '88.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:33 pm

Saw an Arnie film on DVD that - for some reason - I had never heard of before called Eraser. Love any of his films so I gave this a go for £6 and I wasn't disappointed. Pleasingly, it ends with a typical shoot-out against an endless army of thugs. Loads of guns, explosions and awesome :)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

freemonk

Post by freemonk » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:38 pm

I went to see Transformers: Dark of the Moon.

Plenty of action, lovely CGI robots but just like the other two movie, walked out feeling a little disappointed. It's just not the Transformers movie that I wanted.

Now for the first 2 minutes of this movie, it did everything right showing the fight on Cybertron between the Autobots and the Decepticons, which is something that should of been in the first movie. Not much longer after that it starts to go wrong after getting the first glimpse of Shia's new love interest by showing an ass POV of her walking up the stairs. FFS? I can't remember that being in any of the comics or TV Cartoons. Even at the end of the movie after falling through building, running through a dirty dusty battle torn Chicago, her white jacket is bright white and not a bit of dirt or dust on her face at all...but the makeup is in tact.

It was nice to see L Nimoy do the voice of Sentinal Prime though, especially as he did the voice of Galvatron in the 80's Animated Movie.

Great action movie, but not brilliant by any means. I'm glad that this is Michael Bay's last TF movie. Hopefully a new director will bring a new angle to the TF movies. Give it too Neill Blomkamp (District 9) to take over. We'll then see a proper fan boy's dream of a TF movie.
WANTED: Spiderman: Web of Shadows (X360) / Mario Party 4 to 7 (GC) / Pikmin 2 (GC) / Muscle Bomber (SFC) / Bonkers (SNES) / Nosferatu (SNES) / Scramble (Vectrex) / Einhander (PS1) / Patapon 3 (PSP) / Sin and Punishment 2 (Wii)

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:11 pm

Watched the latest AVGN episode yesterday. It was a half hour one showing how he makes his episodes and how all the bits come together. I thought it was quite interesting anyway.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:17 pm

Yeah write the script as you play and record everything.

BRILLIANT!

Knight Rider (recent one)
There will never be a second session despite it being good.

Osu Karate Buu!!
Bloody funny 80s anime stuff

Hunter X Hunter.
40 episodes in a week?
I need to play more games

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:07 pm

Had a menagerie of films to watch recently

The Curious Case of Forest Gump (erm Benjamin Button) Seriously too long and the only different USP is that he gets younger, Forest is a simpleton, other than that its almost a remake, consider how they get money, who their true love is and who they cant have and their love for their momma homestead and an influential Captain plus how war affects them.

Little Big Soldier.. Jackie Chan film, but is amazing, beautifully shot, well crafted story splitting between comedy and drama and a slight unexpected ending. Loved it.

2012 not as bad as everyone makes owt. Perfectly acceptable disaster movie. The world gets hammered, millions die, some survive.. Who needs plot and things to make sense? Waaaaay too long though.

No Retreat, No Surrender. Aged horribly, narrative makes no sense and the print i saw on DVD was appalling. Still has JCVD in it as a bad guy, must get around to Black Eagle again some time. Okay, but if I was watching it for the first time I would be horrified! Wonder how the sequels hold up as they are completely unrelated in all but name. As a side note this ties in my next film watched.

Bloodsport. Luv it, have done since the first time I saw it 20 years or so ago! So its ropey as hell and JCVD's make up is well shoddy ( way too much blusher in places). Am sure that Jason from NR,NS is one of the fighters at the Kumite. but then Robin from Maid Marian (Wayne Morris) and Victor Wong from Big Trouble in Lil China are listed and I cant see any of them???? Also fairly realistic use of Karate Champ Arcade Machine, which is unusual for a movie. Least it sounds and looks right
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

tekaotaku

Post by tekaotaku » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:19 pm

RMLF wrote:Had a menagerie of films to watch recently

No Retreat, No Surrender. Aged horribly, narrative makes no sense and the print i saw on DVD was appalling. Still has JCVD in it as a bad guy, must get around to Black Eagle again some time. Okay, but if I was watching it for the first time I would be horrified! Wonder how the sequels hold up as they are completely unrelated in all but name. As a side note this ties in my next film watched.
I agree, its aged badly, but the training montage is one of the best (look out for the wire and the whole gay groin push up moment, NOT COOL!) and "hold onto the vision" is a great training song (on the mp3 player for the gym)....AND...its got awful 80's break dancing in it, I'm sold!

Watched WEST IS WEST last night, not as good or consistently funny as East is East, a bit more serious but OK as a coming of age film, had its moments.
Image - "still barking at the silver moon!"

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:29 pm

Saw 'ghosted' - 'best prison film since scum' they said on the review

Errr no. One to avoid. Very disappointing

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:12 pm

I haven't watched a film in a good while but last night me and a friend sat down to watch Buried. What a horrible yet superb film. It' all about a person who wakes up to find he has been buried alive (can you imagine..) and the whole film takes place inside the coffin, scary shit. Brilliant though, but horrible. Thoroughly recommend it if you haven't seen it already! :D

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:43 pm

Ip Man 2, also featured the legendary Samo Hung, good film, if you like martial arts films I Highly recommend these!

Neilos626

Post by Neilos626 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:09 pm

finally forced myself to watch Avatar this week, thought it was going to be a load of emo rubbish. Actually suprised that it was fairly watchable.

Watched a couple of 90s films this week I've not seen before Q and A, Nick Nolte as a bent cop, very good film apart from the inapropriate use of cheesey music over key converstions. Also watched a gangster film with Sean Penn and Gary Oldman, althought the name escapes me right now it was also very good.
Flux Capacitors wanted email MartyMcFly1985@greatscott.net

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:29 am

Neilos626 wrote:Also watched a gangster film with Sean Penn and Gary Oldman, althought the name escapes me right now it was also very good.
State of grace. A very good film