What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

pratty

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by pratty » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:16 pm

The Debt Collector 1&2. Fun buddy actioners with Scott Adkins.

Also watched the first 4 episodes on The Mandalorian, miles better than the recent trilogy of movies.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:20 am

New series of criminal UK. Compelling stuff.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:32 pm

Working my way through the entire X-Files canon, in order. Currently nearing end of Season 2.
And tonight watched the uncut version of Ferris Bueller. Previously only had the edited version taped from BBC1 way back in the 80's. Finally got it on DVD. A favourite of mine, and so much better with the swearing included! :D

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:45 pm

Still on One Piece

Nearly on episode 840, im gonna pause watching it for a few weeks when the current story ark ends as NJPW G1 Climax starts next week.
Queue my days being taken up by watching 3 hours of wrestling nearly every day
Sputryk wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:32 pm
Working my way through the entire X-Files canon, in order. Currently nearing end of Season 2.
Series 9, if you haven't seen it, it will make you wish you hadn't

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:56 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:45 pm
Still on One Piece

Nearly on episode 840, im gonna pause watching it for a few weeks when the current story ark ends as NJPW G1 Climax starts next week.
Queue my days being taken up by watching 3 hours of wrestling nearly every day
Sputryk wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:32 pm
Series 9, if you haven't seen it, it will make you wish you hadn't
Seen all series, multiple times. Love it. So much so, I start reciting the lines before they are spoken! :D Got them all in numbered video collector box-sets, all the two-parters got a stand alone video release so bought them (many in special HMV collector cases) and the two mail order only releases, then got each season in DVD box, and was quick off the mark and sent off all the tokens from each box to get my hands on a special Collectors Box to store all 9 initial series in. Best show ever, for me. Only a very few episodes drop the high standards set by all the others.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:27 am

That Dragons Dogma on Netflix. It’s...pretty bad, and doesn’t really do the game and its world justice

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:19 pm

Enola Holmes. Potentially fun spin off spoiled by cringe inducing, on the nose feminsm.

merman

Post by merman » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:06 am

pratty wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:19 pm
Enola Holmes. Potentially fun spin off spoiled by cringe inducing, on the nose feminsm.
I suggest you do a little searching and find any of numerous articles by historians in response to Enola Homes that show that women WERE working as detectives in Victorian times...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:41 am

merman wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:06 am
pratty wrote:
I suggest you do a little searching and find any of numerous articles by historians in response to Enola Homes that show that women WERE working as detectives in Victorian times...
Why? I never doubted that there were.

merman

Post by merman » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:42 am

pratty wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:41 am
merman wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:06 am
pratty wrote:
Why? I never doubted that there were.
So why the accusation of feminism? The facts support Enola Holmes existing.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:47 pm

I assume you mean that it's not unrealistic that she could have existed then? Again I didn't say that she couldn't. I'm puzzled why you seem to think that could be my only complaint. Have you even seen the film?

There's a "be yourself instead of society's expectations", message which would be fine, I've no issue with that, except it's delivered with the subtlety of a sledgehammer. The best female lead movies just get on with it without having to make constant digs at men along the way.

TheAlex

Post by TheAlex » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:21 pm

Tenet. It was okay/good, which means it was disappointing.

There were some great action scenes (including the weirdest fight I've seen), but I couldn't hear the dialogue often, in a film that was already difficult to follow. The regular exposition trying to explain things felt out of place. It seems like Nolan may have been auditioning for a Bond film, which I think he'd be good at. He stretches his Nolan-isms too far in some films, and I think Tenet was one of them.

It was great to return to the cinema after 6 months though - my previous visit being for a Parasite and Birds of Prey double-header.

The best film I've seen recently is Pain and Glory, an excellent drama (perhaps part-biographical about its director, Pedro Almodóvar) about an ageing and formerly-successful film director who no longer writes. Antonio Banderas is excellent as the lead, and I loved the cinematography.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:04 pm

pratty wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:47 pm
I assume you mean that it's not unrealistic that she could have existed then? Again I didn't say that she couldn't. I'm puzzled why you seem to think that could be my only complaint. Have you even seen the film?

There's a "be yourself instead of society's expectations", message which would be fine, I've no issue with that, except it's delivered with the subtlety of a sledgehammer. The best female lead movies just get on with it without having to make constant digs at men along the way.
I can get that you'd prefer to watch escapist entertainment that's free of social commentary.

However, having seen the film myself, there aren't so much digs at men but at people - both men and women - who hold views that would be regarded as extremely misogynistic today. I'd perhaps quibble at the characterization of Mycroft as being one of them, because he's not really like that at all in Doyle's books at least, but it doesn't seem like particularly contentious social commentary for the narrative to favour those who don't hold such attitudes and can accept Enola for who she is, which is a group that also includes a few men by the end of the film.

On the whole, I thought it was OK, but I can see it's aimed more at the young adult Fleabag/His Dark Materials crowd than most of the other recent Sherlock adaptations, of which there are many good ones to choose from.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:16 am

Bit late to the party, but binged 2 series of Cobra Kai. Ruddy marvelous.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

ulrich7ad

Post by ulrich7ad » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:54 pm

Also watched Enola. It was alright, bit boring in places. Probably would watch a sequel though.