What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Antiriad2097

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:04 pm

You starting with the Clone Wars movie that launched the show? I'd recommend it, though it isn't great. Do stick with the show, it has some of the best Star Wars moments and characters around. You'll hate Ahsoka to start with, she's an annoying valley girl, but by series end she'll be a firm favourite above the existing cast from the films.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:50 am

Yeah starts off poor, took some getting used to the film and series 1 started off in my view a bit slow. But then it improves season on season with great characters, a lot of action. Really gets good

'Trying' to get into Star Wars Resistance but i'm just too old for it sadly ! Like some of the characters/backgrounds etc but its a bit too young/whiney, gutted !

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:05 pm

I've not started on Resistance yet, but I found this with Rebels, it was skewed too young for me in general. A shame when it gets so many things right, but I just never felt invested in the characters or stories told. A few good moments, but I didn't find it compelling, so I've still to watch the last few episodes. The highlights were when old characters returned, mainly from Clone Wars.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:46 pm

I didnt mind Rebels, more childish i found than Rebels but i could 'just' watch it as again i loved the way it looked, seeing the locations/ships etc.

Resistance i would probably watch in drips and drabs but i'm not raring to watch it the second a new episodes out. Obviously not aimed for me but disappointed it wasnt a bit more 'mainstream' like CW/Rebels

Roll on next year once the Disney channel comes with that bounty hunter series though

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:50 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:04 pm
You starting with the Clone Wars movie that launched the show? I'd recommend it, though it isn't great. Do stick with the show, it has some of the best Star Wars moments and characters around. You'll hate Ahsoka to start with, she's an annoying valley girl, but by series end she'll be a firm favourite above the existing cast from the films.
Yeah I re-watched the movie recently, the story is a bit dragged out but it's a good cast of characters.
Pratty's trade list, updated (October 2018)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

mr jenzie

Post by mr jenzie » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:07 pm

PAN for the second time, what a great movie
GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, supreme entertainment
both have that running theme through them too .....

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:25 pm

Is the series 'Mars' any good ? Just seen series 2 started this week, tempted to watch it

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:23 pm

Den Of Thieves. Decent cops and robbers heist movie with a bit of a Training Day vibe. Not as much action as I expected for the run time but it was a solid watch. Not the best in it's genre but not the worst either.

Also finished The Haunting Of House Hill. Bit of a slow start but it's a good drama if you stick with it, the plot and characters grow on you episode by episode. Some jumpy scares too if you're into that sort of thing.
Pratty's trade list, updated (October 2018)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:06 am

Just been to see Overlord in the cinema, definitely lives up to the epic trailer!!!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:16 am

The Laird wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:06 am
Just been to see Overlord in the cinema, definitely lives up to the epic trailer!!!
When I sat watching the trailer for Overlord in the cinema, I fully expected it to be a movie translation of Wolfenstein; I was shocked when it wasn't. Is there any link between the movie and the game, as it was sureky inspired by it?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:25 am

paranoid marvin wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:16 am
The Laird wrote:
When I sat watching the trailer for Overlord in the cinema, I fully expected it to be a movie translation of Wolfenstein; I was shocked when it wasn't. Is there any link between the movie and the game, as it was sureky inspired by it?
Why do you say that? There are loads of zombie nazi films. Most are present day finding old nazi zombie lairs to keep the budget down, but there are a few WWII efforts as well.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:39 am

paranoid marvin wrote:
The Laird wrote:
Not really, there are some similarities but it's very much its own film.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:15 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:25 am
paranoid marvin wrote:
The Laird wrote:
Why do you say that? There are loads of zombie nazi films. Most are present day finding old nazi zombie lairs to keep the budget down, but there are a few WWII efforts as well.

Tbh this is the first I've seen set in WW2. American GI- check. Crazy Nazi scientist - check. Superhuman Nazi stormtroopers - check. As I was watching I just kind of assumed it would say 'Wolfenstein - coming soon' at the end of the trailer.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:28 pm

She-Ra the new one
I think everybody in it is gay
Apart from the captain

Still good mind

Also
Stan vs Evil
Filling in for Ash..........
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:47 pm

psj3809 wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:25 pm
Is the series 'Mars' any good ? Just seen series 2 started this week, tempted to watch it
Yes
It's half drama half documentary. A good watch. Created by Ron Howard I think??
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."