What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Antiriad2097

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:37 am

Scorpion King: Book of Souls. Sort of meh. Not awful, I've seen far worse in the genre, but I wouldn't suggest it was worthwhile watching either.

Visually it's ok, but the plot is generic and obvious, while the directing and editing makes it jump along without any real sense of storytelling or progression, it's just a lot of scenes stuck together. Weirdly, there's a long introductory exposition voiceover, followed by some scene setting, then yet more exposition voiceover, then the rest of the movie seems to not care. I feel like there was maybe 3 or 4 hours of film and they didn't know how to cut it together, or they ran out of budget after filming later scenes first, and had to tack on the start bit to fill the gap. The Scorpion King thing is barely touched upon either, it's almost like they tagged the title onto another movie and threw in a single scene to tie it in.

On the upside, it has a reasonable quota of scantily clad women (and men if you like that), as appropriate for any barbarian style flick.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

dste

Post by dste » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:50 am

paranoid marvin wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:48 pm

The Brucie episode is fabulous, as is the one with Bob Monkhouse , and ALL the Clem Fandango bits are hilarious. Tbh seaaon 3 wasn't quite as good as the first two, and everytime I hear Matt Berry doing a (real) advert on tv, you can only imagine them in a sound studio together.
That Brucie mask kind of creeped me out, was so weird.

Couple of bits that really made me laugh was the actor shooting the dog and himself and when Bill Purchase is tormenting Toast on stage.

I watched Rick and Morty seasons one to three. I'm going to say it, I thought it was very overrated. Had three/four really good episodes and then some alright moments in other episodes. Really thought that I would like it but didn't really in the end.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:38 pm

Halloween (The New One)- Decent enough. Nothing mindblowing or terrible, happy to see Micheal Myers back at least. Felt too short and thus there was barely any time to get to know any of these characters only to feel nothing when they're axed off.

Jigsaw- Again, decent if you enjoy the Saw series. Certainly not the worst in the series but generally good enough to pass. The better entries did what this did, well....better. :lol:
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:58 pm

In terms of TV Drama I'm really enjoying Informer and Berlin Station at the moment.

I also really enjoy watching stuff like Ice Road Truckers, Deadliest Catch, Trawler Wars, Hardcore Pawn, and American Chopper.

If I'm around when they're on I will always try to watch Have I Got News For You and Mock The Week.

Then I have my "Geek Out" sessions of shows such as Crystal Maze, Robot Wars, Takeshi's Castle and Go 8-Bit.
Press Play On Tape

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:21 am

I just watched The Big Painting Challenge from last year.

Now I discover there was a previous series, but I can't find it anywhere to watch. Not on iPlayer, STV, C4OD, Netflix or Prime, and the only series I can see on the bay is the one I watched (mislabelled as series 1).
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:46 am

Finished watching Making a murderer season 2. Really enjoyed it

Now for another box set binge !

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:53 am

Contagion. Almost a really good movie. It has a great director and cast and is pretty compelling for the first three quarters but just fizzles out at the end. The acting is good but Jude Law's character was the only mildly interesting one, a lot of the actors seemed wasted here. Disappointing.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:50 am

Slogging my way through Iron Fist: Season 2. Saw First man at the cinema and really enjoyed it.

Sega_MegaDive

Post by Sega_MegaDive » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:01 pm

Just saw Clerks for the first time even though im 38. Wish Id seen it years ago, its hilarious and really of its time. A real "Grunge" era vibe about it

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:06 pm

First episode of Condor, very promising start, worth a look if you like the likes of Homeland.

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:04 pm

Halloween 1978-Still amazing. I must have watched this film over 30 times and it still holds up. Which leads us into...

Halloween 2018- Better than I expected but not as good as it could have been. It totally retcons any of the sequels, including the good Halloween 2 and the great H20(and the censored Resurrection) but it has its moments. Brutal at times and seemingly cut at others.

Bohemian Rhapsody-Amazing film, even if it glossed over a few years.

Possum-A really weird, slow burn of a horror film. As we watched it the wife and I both said at the same time, he sounds like he's from Norfolk(where we live). Turns out the director is from Norwich and it was all filmed around here. It does not do any favours to the stereotype of Norfolk people!! :lol:

Rosemarys Baby(original)- I'd never seen this before and really loved it.

The Purge(Amazon Prime)-Based off the films. Not as gory but it's a great show.

Haunting of Hill House-Has it's scary moments, but it's more of a character piece. Brilliant stuff.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:34 am

The Last Ginja wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:04 pm
Possum-A really weird, slow burn of a horror film. As we watched it the wife and I both said at the same time, he sounds like he's from Norfolk(where we live). Turns out the director is from Norwich and it was all filmed around here. It does not do any favours to the stereotype of Norfolk people!! :lol:
Watched that on Saturday, Not bad at all, like you say a very slow burner, i was expecting more 'jump' moments as that weird puppet was freaky as anything !! Very watchable though and a good performance from that actor

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:14 am

More Condor, good little series this.

The Last Jedi. It had it's moments but overall this is easily one of the weakest films in the series.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:35 am

pratty wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:14 am
The Last Jedi. It had it's moments but overall this is easily one of the weakest films in the series.
Yeah feel the same, i dont hate it, some great sequences and love seeing the imagery but still bits i'm not keen on, dont hate it or that though. Have you seen Solo yet ? Think thats really underated

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:54 am

psj3809 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:35 am
pratty wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:14 am
Yeah feel the same, i dont hate it, some great sequences and love seeing the imagery but still bits i'm not keen on, dont hate it or that though. Have you seen Solo yet ? Think thats really underated
Yeah I quite liked Solo, it helped that I already cared about most of the characters. The new bunch just don't connect the same way, they're extremly virtuous and all but just not that likable beyond that. Finn and Poe are ok over all the new characters aren't a patch on the old heroes.

I'm planning on working my way though the Clone Wars series next.