What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

jdanddiet

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:48 pm

Hotel Transylvania 3
Apart from one hilarious scene, shows how good the pixar movies of the 90s really were.
Still, the kids said they enjoyed it
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:33 pm

The Mayans
Sons of anarchy spin off, bit slow, but im glad they haven't toned down the violence
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

Seadog74

Post by Seadog74 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:24 pm

A bit late but finally watched The Martian. Quite enjoyed it :)

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:59 pm

The Hateful Eight. Very good, especially the fact it kept me hooked and never dragged for such a long film.

Jack Reacher: Never Go Back. Solid sequel, it's not quite Bourne but it has it's moments, Cobie Smulders was a great addition and much more than the damsel in distress I expected her to be.

Edge Of Tomorrow. Decent action kill-the-alien-invader movie, with a twist. Some mild dark humour and a refreshing change of character for Cruise lifted it above average.

The Interview. Really enjoyed it, even if the North Korean government didn't.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

mr jenzie

Post by mr jenzie » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:56 pm

STITCHERS series 3 ..... aaaaaaaaaaaaaand it's cancelled after THAT ending!

CAPTAIN AMERICA THE WINTER SOLDIER ..... excellent stuff and much better than thor dark world in almost every department, i'm getting through them :D

dste

Post by dste » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:49 pm

Kubo and the Two Strings - Worth a watch in my opinion.
Death Note - The original anime. Apart from a slight drag it was worth watching.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

dste

Post by dste » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:47 pm

Power of Grayskull: The Definitive History of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe.

An interesting watch though some of it was also covered in The Toys That Made Us. She-Ra and the Masters movie were the most interesting sections.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:46 am

I'm being all legal ! Signed up with Amazon Prime (already have Netflix)

Started watching Jack Ryan. Really enjoying it, never read the books, only weird thing is as i watched the whole of the Office USA i find it weird that Jack Ryan is the 'Tim' character from the Office (actually called Jim in the Office USA) so he just seems more 'wimpy' that he should be.

But great series so far. Just got TONS to watch and i'm getting swamped with more and more shows !!

Also got Solo (digital) on Monday, love watching that on my new TV. Think its very underated, really enjoyed it

mr jenzie

Post by mr jenzie » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:23 pm

THE PREDATOR - hmm, lazy and slightly clinical, a load of assumption jumping, and things that weren't explained at all! sure the humour between the loons and traegar and family is funny, and there is a lot of laughs even from the predator ..... homages to the terminator and jurassic park get noticed, but it simply didn't gel enough! and it provides a sequel-bating coda which to be honest looks a bit comically ridiculous! and one thing that provided comic relief and nothing else pretty much made this a not-see-in-the-cinema movie ..... and the WORST in the entire franchise!!!!

INCLUDING REQUIEM!!!

SOLO A STAR WARS STORY - much MUCH better and totally under rated

Schmitt

Post by Schmitt » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:41 am

I wasn't too crazy about the new Predator movie either. It's kind of watchable if you like sci-fi and all that jazz, but it was a very weak movie overall.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:12 pm

I went to see The Predator last night and absolutely loved it!

Loads of action, laugh out loud funny and a bunch of great nods to the original film. I had low expectations so I was pleasantly surprised.

Sega_MegaDive

Post by Sega_MegaDive » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:35 pm

Christine the film based on the Stephen King book. Was on the horror channel last night. Class film.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:04 pm

mr jenzie wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:23 pm
THE PREDATOR - hmm, lazy and slightly clinical, a load of assumption jumping, and things that weren't explained at all! sure the humour between the loons and traegar and family is funny, and there is a lot of laughs even from the predator ..... homages to the terminator and jurassic park get noticed, but it simply didn't gel enough! and it provides a sequel-bating coda which to be honest looks a bit comically ridiculous! and one thing that provided comic relief and nothing else pretty much made this a not-see-in-the-cinema movie
Agreed!
mr jenzie wrote:
INCLUDING REQUIEM!!!
Not agreed! AvP:R remains my most hated film.
mr jenzie wrote:
SOLO A STAR WARS STORY - much MUCH better and totally under rated
Agreed again! I loved it. I'm not a massive SW fan but these recent films have been super-entertaining. Apart from Rogue One. The first half of that was agonising to get through.

Watched the first half of The First Purge yesterday and turned it off. Trash. But did watch Hatchet 2, Hatchet 3 and Bloodfest this weekend. All were fantastic.

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:45 pm

Murder On the Orient Express, the new version. Lavish setting and a great cast, it was enjoyable and would have been even better if I didn't already know the story.

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:23 am

Solo. I enjoyed it. It didn't convey the same sense of scale as the main series and the story itself isn't anythign special, but the tone was spot on and it did a good job as a prequel/origins movie.