What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

paranoid marvin

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:47 am

dste wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:57 pm
Star Trek: Discovery.

Watched the first two episodes, seen better and seen worse. Just a bit dull and predictable and not convinced in the slightest about the acting. Next episode is in just under two weeks, might give it a try, might not.
Has any Star Trek series been good right from episode 1 though? TNG was utterly abysmal for most of season 1 but then greatly improved.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:55 am

not long finished season one of the cbs 1978 spiderman show it's a great show better than wonder woman(possibly better ratings why they chose to axe spidey and not wonder woman) and as good as the hulk. my only gripe is the origin film had robbie robinson but the series replaced him with rita(a cross between robbie and betty brant) the police captain works well(should of called him captain stacey though) as a kind of mr mcgee role
This guy are sick

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:23 pm

Tin Star - Sure I saw somewhere that there is a second series considered for this. Don't. Actually quite enjoyed this , some silly slapstick humour and jokes interspersed with a twisty if predictable storyline. Could easily be left where it is though.

Guardians ..vol 2 - missed it at the cinema and bet it looked great. A good little explosive slice that didn't exactly set the world alight but enjoyable.

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:32 pm

John Wick Chapter 2 - This was really good except for the fact I felt it had a little too much action that it became a bit tiresome after awhile. I'm looking forward to the next chapter though as he's really in the doghouse now that he has every assassin wanting to kill him.

pratty

Post by pratty » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:11 pm

The Town. Surprisingly decent crime thriller, starring and directed by Ben Afleck.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

dste

Post by dste » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:22 pm

Inside Out.

Good film, definitely worth a watch.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:12 am

Predator 2. What a turd. Barely a B movie and by far the worst in the franchise.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

dste

Post by dste » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:50 pm

Laid series one and two.

Watched it as it stars a couple of actors that I like. It's an Australian comedy/drama about a woman whose previous sexual partners die after she has sex with them. It had a couple of laughs but overall I wouldn't really recommend it unless you enjoy programmes like that.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:12 pm

Saw first episode of new Star Trek discovery. Promising and apparently really kicks on from episode 3. Still in mourning after end of Rick n Morty.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:56 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:12 am
Predator 2. What a turd. Barely a B movie and by far the worst in the franchise.
WHAT! It's a classic! The Lion, tigers, bears...oh my!
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

iprice

Post by iprice » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:12 pm

jdanddiet wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:56 pm
Antiriad2097 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:12 am
WHAT! It's a classic! The Lion, tigers, bears...oh my!
I agree. It really expands the mythos about the Predator and its connection to Earth and the Hunt. Also bonus points for showing xenomorph skulls on the ship. Answered that question nicely!

And having a granny say "I don't think he gives a $#!+" never, ever gets old! :P
I fancy a nice hot cup of tea. Splash of milk. No sugar.

dste

Post by dste » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:50 pm

The Good Place season one.

Absolutely loved it, would definitely recommend it. Damn annoying about now having to wait weekly for season two episodes though.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:14 am

dste wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:50 pm
The Good Place season one.

Absolutely loved it, would definitely recommend it. Damn annoying about now having to wait weekly for season two episodes though.
Surprisingly good, it takes some unexpected twists. You do have to get past Tahani's terrible acting though, they should ditch her. Season 2 is developing nicely
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:58 pm

The Mayorwitz (?) Stories, with Adam Sandler, Ben Stiller and Dustin Hoffman. Dull, it's acted well enough but I found the whole thing boring.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:04 am

Dr Strange Tv movie from 1978, from what I can gather this movie(much like it's title charicter) is love it or hate it and I loved it, yes it makes a few changes from the comic but they make sence and apart from those 2 or 3 changes it feels likee a stan lee/steve ditko comic has jumped of the page. the 90 minute film is an origin story it feels a tiny bit rushed in parts but this was no doubt CBS forcing a 120 minute story into just 90.

with a great ending it does work as a one shot but I'd love a comic book or cartoon to fill in the uncommisioned tv series either with ideas stan had for it or fresh ideas.

personaly i found dr strange to adapt to tv better than batman(which I loved) and wonder woman(which i hated) and I can hounestly say marvel has had a better run with tv and movies than dc(though never had intrest in gaurdians and daredevil was a flop as a film and i prefer pre mcu stuff.
This guy are sick