What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by Katzkatz » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:23 pm

Bridget Jones's Baby - actually better than the previous version. Quite funny in places and it's good to see the characters back. Sort of a shame that Hugh Grant decided not to do this one, but Patrick Dempsey makes up for him. It's pretty decent for light entertainment. I know it deviates a lot from the books(which I haven't read). The door is left open for another sequel.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:09 pm

Watched the 'reboot' Robocop with trepidation (mainly cos the missus wouldn't watch it) and was neither impressed or disappointed. It simply wasn't a patch on the original , yet wasn't all that bad as an action film on its own.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:25 pm

Sonic Boom

I keep singing the phrases of this toon, it has a load of in jokes that poke fun at Sonics past fails and fan base

This weeks episode had a Matrix reference (will kids these days know what that film is?) and this

Amys Sonic doll that she has "For totally legitimate reasons and not for anything creepy" to distract Robotnick while the boys are away

Kinda looks a bit like

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:09 pm

Resident Evil Vendetta - better than I was expecting. First half was actually really decent, with some good atmosphere and jump scares. Second half goes full on RE6 though, with action scenes that Micheal Bay would consider a bit OTT.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:40 am

Beasts of the Southern Wild - a six year old girl is faced with the harsh realities of life after a natural disaster and her ailing father's health. I think it's meant to comment on Hurricane Katrina. This film have got a lot of rave reviews from the critics, but I have to say that I thought it was a bit pretentious and quite boring in places.

dste

Post by dste » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:45 pm

Mechanic: Resurrection

Pile of poop. First one was pretty decent with having a plot and a narrative. This one is just the Stath killing people as usual.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Tom_Baker

Post by Tom_Baker » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:28 pm

The Two Doctors' - it's quite a long, drawn-out story which drags on many occasions. It's highlights are the fact that Troughton makes his appearance and Nicola Bryants figure, BUT THE DIRECTION is ABYSMAL! Even though he has Nicola looking so sensational he fails to frame her in shot as he should, he doesn't give us lingering shots of her beauty or capture the sheer sexiness of her in that costume to best effect - yeah his direction is deadeningly slow and two-dimensional, what a blockhead! ;)

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:52 am

The Raid 2 - this time around, a young police officer is coerced into infiltrating a gang and gets involved in a turf war. There's a bit more story in this film compared to the original. It's very violent in places! It does earn its 18 certificate. I actually liked it more than the previous film.

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:12 pm

Katzkatz wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:52 am
The Raid 2 - this time around, a young police officer is coerced into infiltrating a gang and gets involved in a turf war. There's a bit more story in this film compared to the original. It's very violent in places! It does earn its 18 certificate. I actually liked it more than the previous film.
Hey katz you not bored of posting to yourself on here yet? Why not come ovet to the canteen.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:46 pm

aztecca wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:12 pm

Hey katz you not bored of posting to yourself on here yet? Why not come ovet to the canteen.
I've got the feeling that one or two people on there, might not welcome me.

Anyway, to be ready for Twin Peaks : The Return - I re-watched Twin Peaks : Fire Walk With Me. I had only seen this once before. It was even better than I remembered it. Superb central performance from Sheryl Lee. The last terrible seven days of Laura Palmer's life are played out. It's bleak and some of David Lynch's best work as a film. I can't believe it got such a pasting when it was released.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:51 pm

Wise choice.

I went to see Baby Driver in the cinema, wonderfully original and entertaining movie from start to finish. The critics are bang on with this one.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:21 pm

Resident Evil: Vendetta

Watched because Rebecca is in it, damn she has some good CG................
It also helps that it looks bloody lush

Plot wise
Cack
Action?
Stupid fun, but thats normal

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:54 pm

My Beloved Bodyguard.

Sammo Hungs recent one, hes gotten more brutal in his old age, bloody great film

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:59 am

Last night I re-watched the film with the guy who drives a beige Volvo - yeah, The Rock. It's strange then that Nicholas Cage's character is so good with a Ferrari 355. Also, explain how a Humvee can outrun a Ferrari 355 around the streets of San Francisco? :lol: Anyway, we get to see Sir Sean Connery playing Bond again(effectively) - and what's not to like about a film containing "green smoke"! It shows that at one time - Michael Bay could actually make decent films - this and Bad Boys.

dste

Post by dste » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:09 pm

Marvel's Agents of SHIELD season four.

Absolutely brilliant. A programme that manages to get better each season.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!