What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Antiriad2097

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:19 pm

John Wick 2. Much the same as the first, with fight scenes going on a little too long but otherwise decent enough 'switch off the brain' action.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:15 am

Wonder Woman - did another cinema trip to see this. I must admit that I wasn't expecting much - especially after both Batman versus Superman and Suicide Squad, but this has a few things going for it as a film. There's actually some humour in places(even though there's some dark stuff - especially as some of the film is set in WWI), some good chemistry between Wonder Woman and her love interest, some good pacing and actual willingness to tell a proper narrative(although the last third of the film gets a bit rushed). It sort of reminded me of Batman Begins in some of its tone. It seems a shame now, that the character is going to get used in the upcoming Justice League films, because the potential for more standalone films seems to be there. Interesting also the feminism angle of this film with both having a female lead(it's been a long time since a superhero film did that) and also a female director. As superhero films go - it's one of the better ones.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:25 am

Blair Witch - not as good as the original but quite scary in parts

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:51 pm

Finished Eerie Indiana the other dimension
Not as good as the first series

Analog

Post by Analog » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:55 pm

night at the roxbury - pretty awful film from the late 90s. but at least I understand what that ancient hadaway meme is all about now.

lupogtiboy

Post by lupogtiboy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:37 am

The Last Starfighter - was on Sci-Fi HD last night, great film with mostly computer animated special effects.
Its small, its fast, its just gone past! www.clublupo.co.uk

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:02 am

The Hole - directed by Joe Dante(he of Gremlins fame). Three teenagers discover a locked doorway which contains a magical hole in their basement. It's sort of a horror film, nothing groundbreaking, but effective in what it does.
Last edited by Katzkatz on Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

stvd

Post by stvd » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:06 am

John Wick 2 - Decent enough if you liked the first one.

Nice use of a VIC20 by the accounts department!

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:54 am

Up to date with Better Call Saul, season 3....still plodding along, and trying to link back to Breaking Bad for additional fan service.

Its ok, but in no way is it anywhere near Breaking Bad standards. My hope is that it evolves from a "prequel" to the events post Breaking Bad. They often have showed clips in the intro of Saul as an older man (in hiding) so perhaps that is where its eventually leading to. Terrific cast though, and of course high production standards, but just needs a bit more excitement.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:49 am

The Wolverine - based on a comic book series which is set in Japan. Wolverine travels back there to meet an old friend and trouble follows him. Actually quite an interesting take on the comic book superhero film. Slower paced and more thoughtful. Makes a good companion piece to the recent Logan film(they share the same director - James Mangold).

Ratatouille - from Pixar. A rat helps a young chef in Paris. One of Pixar's smaller efforts, but well worth watching.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:45 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:54 am
Up to date with Better Call Saul, season 3....still plodding along, and trying to link back to Breaking Bad for additional fan service.

Its ok, but in no way is it anywhere near Breaking Bad standards. My hope is that it evolves from a "prequel" to the events post Breaking Bad. They often have showed clips in the intro of Saul as an older man (in hiding) so perhaps that is where its eventually leading to. Terrific cast though, and of course high production standards, but just needs a bit more excitement.
Totally agree, i'll keep watching but damn are there some slow boring moments. The best bits are the old boy hunting down whoever. Couldnt stand the intro to this season (i think they do it for most initial episodes of BCL seasons) where hes working in the restaurant (when its black and white) and nothing much happens for about 5 minutes.

I'm a few behind at the moment as its not a series where i have to watch the next episode ASAP. Still enjoy it but quite slow at times

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:14 pm

I went to see My Cousin Rachel at the cinema on Saturday. It starred Rachel Weisz(yes - ironic) as the lead character. It's based on a Daphne Du Maurier novel. There was an old black and white version of the film as well. A young man plots to kill his beautiful and mysterious cousin, who he believes has killed is former guardian, but things get complicated when he falls in love with her. It's got the gothic romance theme to it(similar tone to Northanger Abbey) and is an interesting story. Good central performance from Weisz, and also Sam Calflin.

dste

Post by dste » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:18 pm

Slasher.

Eight episode TV series about a young woman who moves back to the house/town where her parents were murdered. Day she moves back someone starts killing people under the seven deadly sins.

Pretty decent though the last episode kind of loses it a little trying to tie it all up.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:25 am

I started on a few episodes of season 3 of Better Call Saul. It's taking awhile for this show to really get me on the hook, so to speak. I can't help but think that it needs to step up a gear. On the plus side SPOILERSwe got to see Gus and Mike meets him for the first time. It's still early in the season though. Excellent cast and production values, but I just want a little bit more excitement from it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:08 am

Watched Kajeki

True story of british solders in Afghanistan. Was expecting a decent war film but instead found myself shouting at the TV 'just stay there dont move !' as it got a bit crazy later as they're all stuck in a minefield.

Wasnt great i'm sorry to say